Bulleit...Rye?

libertybar
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

One thing to ask yourself when someone claims the answer to your question is proprietary is, how could revealing the answer damage them? Does anyone think knowing Wild Turkey's mash bill is going to give their competition an advantage? If there seems to be no good reason for keeping it a secret, then you know something else is afoot.

Does anyone think knowing Wild Turkey's mash bill is going to give their competition an advantage? If there seems to be no good reason for keeping it a secret, then you know something else is afoot.

Was that a rhetorical question or are you on to something?

Was that a rhetorical question or are you on to something?

I'm not on to anything, it's just that people will pull out 'proprietary information' as an excuse for a question they don't want to answer for some other reason or for no reason at all.

Wild Turkey might like people to think their bourbon mash contains more rye than it actually does, for instance.

Finally finishing the last of my 1st bottle of this. Won't be replacing it. Makes a damn good Mint Julep, which is how I'm finishing the bottle, but it's not worth buying just for that reason.

Finally finishing the last of my 1st bottle of this. Won't be replacing it. Makes a damn good Mint Julep, which is how I'm finishing the bottle, but it's not worth buying just for that reason.

I think it does well with ginger ale and orange bitters too. I have yet to try it in a manhattan or Sazerac, but I suspect it would do well in either application. Decent sipper, better mixer.

What orange bitters do you use? I was using Stirrings, but either they stopped making it or Binny's stopped carrying it. And I can't find Reagan's.

I use Fee Brothers. I can't compare it to anything else because it's the only thing I can find.

What orange bitters do you use? I was using Stirrings, but either they stopped making it or Binny's stopped carrying it. And I can't find Reagan's.
I use Fee Brothers. I can't compare it to anything else because it's the only thing I can find.

Angostura Orange is what I have. I got the bottle a couple years ago, but I still see it around. As Sky said, Fee Bros. also makes one.

A restaurant here in DSM uses Bulleit for a cocktail with mint syrup, mint leaves, oranges and ice. Really refreshing in this this heat.

Angostura Orange is what I have. I got the bottle a couple years ago, but I still see it around. As Sky said, Fee Bros. also makes one.

I should be able to find the Fee Brothers orange. I have their cherry, which I find a bit too on the nose.

As I near the end of my bottle of Bulleit rye, I'm liking it more and more. Initially, I felt the Ritt BiB was a better whiskey but now I'm finding more flavor in the Bulleit despite it's lower proof. I attribute this to the higher % rye in the mashbill(95%).

As far as taste goes, Bulleit wins IMO. But if you're talking price, Ritt is a better deal.

Will I replace this bottle once it's gone? I don't know. At $35 it's more than I expected to pay, and I can get Ritt for $19. FWIW, if the Bulleit was $10 cheaper I'd have no problems forgetting about Rittenhouse, and I'd be completely happy.

Eric

As I near the end of my bottle of Bulleit rye, I'm liking it more and more. Initially, I felt the Ritt BiB was a better whiskey but now I'm finding more flavor in the Bulleit despite it's lower proof. I attribute this to the higher % rye in the mashbill(95%).

As far as taste goes, Bulleit wins IMO. But if you're talking price, Ritt is a better deal.

Will I replace this bottle once it's gone? I don't know. At $35 it's more than I expected to pay, and I can get Ritt for $19. FWIW, if the Bulleit was $10 cheaper I'd have no problems forgetting about Rittenhouse, and I'd be completely happy.

Eric

I'm on my second bottle of Bulleit Rye - it has become one of my 'go to' favorites. Here in MI, it sells for an acceptable $24.95 (+6% sales tax) for a 750 ml bottle. And, I just noticed that a 1000 ml bottle is available (per the State liquor price list) for $32.97 (+6% sales tax). (These are the state retail minimum prices, which is the price most liquor stores will sell.)

Rittenhouse Bottled in Bond 100 proof Rye is not sold here in MI, but I picked up a bottle in Chicago for $19.99 + sales tax. I think the price differential of Bulleit Rye is well worth it.

I'm curious what state you're in, Eric, where Bulleit Rye is $35/bottle? It seemed like Bulleit was pricing their Rye in the low to mid $20s when it was released in early Spring.

I'm curious what state you're in, Eric, where Bulleit Rye is $35/bottle. It seemed like Bulleit was pricing their Rye in the low to mid $20s when it was released in early Spring.

I'm in NY, and I should have mentioned I paid $35 for the 1 liter (1000 ml) bottle. It really isn't a bad price for a quality rye, but being an unemployed college student I usually try to find the best bang for the buck.

Eric

I'm in NY, and I should have mentioned I paid $35 for the 1 liter (1000 ml) bottle. It really isn't a bad price for a quality rye, but being an unemployed college student I usually try to find the best bang for the buck.

Eric

The Rittenhouse BIB is the best choice for a rye <$20 - unless you can get your hands on Pikesville Rye. At ~12 for a 750 ml bottle and ~$18 for 1 litre, it is a great value for a crisp rye. Unfortunately, it's only available in 3-4 states. (There does seem to be a limited choice of good ryes for <$20.)

By the way, Sazerac Rye is ~$27 for a 750 ml bottle. It is a wonderful rye - more costly than Rittenhouse BIB & Pikesville, but exceedingly well worth if you can get your hands on it. (The distiller is having difficulty keeping up with the demand, so liquor stores sell out rapidly after receiving a shipment.)

By the way, Sazerac Rye is ~$27 for a 750 ml bottle. It is a wonderful rye - more costly than Rittenhouse BIB & Pikesville, but exceedingly well worth if you can get your hands on it. (The distiller is having difficulty keeping up with the demand, so liquor stores sell out rapidly after receiving a shipment.)

I keep passing by Sazerac when I'm at the store, but maybe it's time I give it a try.

How do you think it compares to the Bulleit?

Eric

I keep passing by Sazerac when I'm at the store, but maybe it's time I give it a try.

How do you think it compares to the Bulleit?

Eric

I find the Sazerac Rye to be a much smoother and more polished rye. The Bulleit Rye is a spicier, bolder rye. Both are great - each with a different personality. And, each will call to me differently depending on my mood.

The Sazerac Rye is in such short supply, I was able to score 2 bottles (after searching around for stores that had it on the shelf!). (One bottle is in the back of my liquor cabinet to savor, and I'm giving the second bottle to my son).

By the way, Wild Turkey Rye 101 proof is another good choice in the <$20 category. (In most places, it is usually around $17-$18, but here in MI it is priced at $21.)

By the way, Wild Turkey Rye 101 proof is another good choice in the <$20 category. (In most places, it is usually around $17-$18, but here in MI it is priced at $21.)

I've tried the WT rye and nothing really stood out as fantastic to me, but it's definitely better than Overholt and Beam rye. About a year ago it was $23 or $25 I believe. I should try it again soon as I feel my palate has developed some since then. I do remember it made a good rye and ginger beer though!

Eric

I've tried the WT rye and nothing really stood out as fantastic to me, but it's definitely better than Overholt and Beam rye. About a year ago it was $23 or $25 I believe. I should try it again soon as I feel my palate has developed some since then. I do remember it made a good rye and ginger beer though!

Eric

Wild Turkey Rye was not among my first choices (although it is a favorite of several on the board). Bulleit Rye, Sazerac Rye, and Pikesville Rye became my routine 'go to' spirits.

I love WT 101 Rye... it's a great value. Big, bold and enjoyable. It's not a subtle rye.

Sazerac Jr. is my favorite "any day" rye - it's not the cheapest, but at well under $30, it's an outstanding whiskey that should be in everyone's bunker to enjoy.

I can get RR Rye for $25, and at that price, it's worth it every time.

Rittenhouse BIB, usually in the lower $20 range, is a great drink as well. I waffle between Ritt & WT for my favorite low-end Rye.

Saz Jr., however, is in a league of its own in terms of quality - not that I want to pay it, but it comes across as a mid-$30's quality rye, at least to me.

Of course Vintage Rye 21, Saz 18, and Thomas Handy are the pinnacles of flavor for Rye to me...

Of course Vintage Rye 21, Saz 18, and Thomas Handy are the pinnacles of flavor for Rye to me...

None of the ryes I've tasted have been bad, bu some are just better than others. I feel Bulleit and Rittenhouse are my favorites thus far. One day I'll try the Handy Saz, baby Saz, Russel's Reserve Rye, Mckenzie, etc.

You know, now that I think about it, the more rye I drink the more I wonder why I spend so much time with bourbon.

Eric

...Of course Vintage Rye 21, Saz 18, and Thomas Handy are the pinnacles of flavor for Rye to me...

I haven't had the opportunity to enjoy these 3 - but they are on my list.

However, in the over $40 Rye category, I find the High West Rendezvous Rye to be a truly outstanding Rye.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.