Allocation News From Templeton Rye

silverfish
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

As a native Iowan, it is frustrating to see this very high pedestal people put Templeton on. Especially because in my eyes its a $30 whiskey max. And Paul is right, it is kinda of fun to blow people's minds and tell them its not actually made in Iowa, but Indiana. And hey, if they don't believe you, you can just tell them to go watch the youtube video they made that shows it being made at LDI.

I've gone through a whole range of emotions. Now I think it's cute, like little kids believing in Santa Claus.

• 3 weeks later...

I got an email from internet wines they have a special on Templeton Rye for $49.99 a bottle and have 300 bottles. They still have 300 bottles as far as I'm concerned.

• 4 months later...

Had the opportunity to try this over the weekend.

It was a nice pour, but nothing special to write home about. And for what I say it go for in the stores, I'm not going to be picking one up anytime soon for what is in the bottle.

The biggest shock came to me when I got the bill, for what I paid for two glasses, I was halfway to purchasing a bottle in the store. Couldn't believe that they had this as the most expensive Bourbon on the menu. :bigeyes:

But, it was all part of the experience. Besides, the veal chop was excellent.

B

Bourbon is my preferred whiskey, and I like wheaters best, but enjoy rye for a change of pace now and then. Early this year I was gifted with a bottle of Templeton and told how lucky I was to get one (it's widely available in Illinois, but pricey, so I'm lucky I didn't have to pay for it). Finally opened it over the weekend and found not much to back all the hype. The whiskey seems immature (okay, young) and weak (in proof and flavor). This will be sitting around for a while and I'm now planning to buy a rye I know I'll like to remind me why I like it.

I like it, and I like that its increased interest in whiskey in Iowa. I just wouldn't buy it for the price its usually sold for or make the effort to track down a bottle. It tastes about the same a Bulliet for me, and Bulliet is cheaper, higher proof, and easier to find. If it was $30 and easy to find I might pick one up every now and then for some rye variety.

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up with an open bottle after a whiskey tasting event a few years ago and still haven't even tried it. And I like rye whiskey.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.