Leopold Bros, Maryland-Style Rye Whiskey

Guest wripvanwrinkle
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Guest wripvanwrinkle

I picked up this rye a few weeks ago and have been enjoying it very much. I can say little about its vital signs, other than my bottle reads "barrel no. 3" and that it was bottled at 43% abv.

The nose is young rye quickly followed by strawberry. There is a lot of fruit. The fruit is chased by something floral. The overall nose is flat, almost smoky, like breathing in a cloud of unsweetened cocoa powder.

The taste is incredible, an amazing amount of fruit is floating in a punch bowl of rye. The rye flames out into dark chocolate, and that dark chocolate lingers well into and then all the way through finish. At the very end, that cocoa powder from the nose seems to return at the back of my throat.

There is *no* bitterness or burn, which is something of an "ah-ha" moment for me. To explain, I have always associated bitterness/burn with alcohol...but this young whiskey might have shown me the truth. I think that the bitterness/burn that I dislike might be wood (maybe the tannin?)

This is a dangerous dram, in that it disappears way to quickly from the glass.

I'm unsure how widely distributed this product is, but if you can find one...I would really recommend that you snag it. To me, this is everything that a craft whiskey should be.

It is a very good rye. I visited the distillery about a month ago and they are one of the few craft distilleries doing it like it should be done. Everything I tasted I was pleased with. They do a line of liquers that are unbelievable. They taste like the fruit, but they are not saturated with sugar.

Kudos to the new generation of distillers, the Leopolds, Tom and others.

I look forward to tasting the Maryland-style rye.

Gary

• 8 months later...
It is a very good rye. I visited the distillery about a month ago and they are one of the few craft distilleries doing it like it should be done. Everything I tasted I was pleased with. They do a line of liquers that are unbelievable. They taste like the fruit, but they are not saturated with sugar.

I've seen this here in the stores but haven't tried it. I didn't realize that it was a Maryland style rye. The only thing I've had that said it was Maryland style was Pikesville Supreme (from HH). For the price, I think Pikesville is an outstanding rye so I would like to taste something that is an authentic Maryland style rye.

• 4 months later...
I've seen this here in the stores but haven't tried it. I didn't realize that it was a Maryland style rye. The only thing I've had that said it was Maryland style was Pikesville Supreme (from HH). For the price, I think Pikesville is an outstanding rye so I would like to taste something that is an authentic Maryland style rye.

Where in Atlanta have you seen it? I would like to give it a try if I can find it.

I picked up this rye a few weeks ago and have been enjoying it very much. I can say little about its vital signs, other than my bottle reads "barrel no. 3" and that it was bottled at 43% abv.

The nose is young rye quickly followed by strawberry. There is a lot of fruit. The fruit is chased by something floral. The overall nose is flat, almost smoky, like breathing in a cloud of unsweetened cocoa powder.

The taste is incredible, an amazing amount of fruit is floating in a punch bowl of rye. The rye flames out into dark chocolate, and that dark chocolate lingers well into and then all the way through finish. At the very end, that cocoa powder from the nose seems to return at the back of my throat.

There is *no* bitterness or burn, which is something of an "ah-ha" moment for me. To explain, I have always associated bitterness/burn with alcohol...but this young whiskey might have shown me the truth. I think that the bitterness/burn that I dislike might be wood (maybe the tannin?)

This is a dangerous dram, in that it disappears way to quickly from the glass.

I'm unsure how widely distributed this product is, but if you can find one...I would really recommend that you snag it. To me, this is everything that a craft whiskey should be.

I'm very sorry that I just noticed this today.

I'm so pleased you enjoyed it, but I'm more pleased that you picked up the notes that I was trying to express.

It's (around) 65% Rye, 15% Corn, and 20% malted barley. The cocoa you picked up is actually chocolate malt (I was a brewer for 15+ years), quite literally a handful of it.

The fruit you are tasting comes from acetic acid bacteria. We allow for a secondary bacterial fermentation in our cypress open fermenters which leads to esterification in the barrel. More clearly, the acetic acid that is put into the distillate by the bacteria mixes with the oxygen coming into the barrel to create fruit flavors and aromas. So those strawberry notes are from bacteria, not from yeast. The floral note is from the rye. To me, it tastes and smells very much like lavender.

We barrel all our whiskies at 49% abv (save our new BIB). We'll have more of it on the shelves in the late fall of 2012, and a BIB expression in about, shockingly, 4 years. Thank you for giving it a try.

It's not available in Atlanta, sorry.

It's not available in Atlanta, sorry.

Looks as though the only internet retailer on your website carrying it is TotalBeverage.net which makes since I suppose since they are local. It doesn't specifically say Maryland rye but I presume that is the same thing?

I have enjoyed your American small batch whiskey and several other products you are making so I guess I will just have to take the freight hit since I don't see much chance I will be in Colorado anytime soon!

Hmm, just noticed that they don't ship to Georgia. Guess I am out of luck unless I can track down somebody local to do me a favor!

The Rye is a seasonal release, released just after Turkey day. You're searching for dusties at this point, as the last shipment left our distributors last November, but thank you for your interest. That's the only Rye we sell currently, so if they say that they have it, i guess they have it.

More arriving in Nov. or 2012.

I bought a case of this when it was released. VERY tasty stuff. I'd be willing to trade a bottle or two to SBers who can't find it. Feel free to PM me.

I was lucky enough to turn up a bottle of this rye a few days ago. As others have said, it's quite unique. At first sniff and taste it reminded me of Redbreast. But the fruit and chocolate flavors really set it apart from any other American whiskey I've had. There's green apple, black tea and -- again, as others have noted -- a blast of cocoa (even more than in the 25 YO Willett bottling of a few years ago that was my previous benchmark for chocotastic whiskey). For a young rye, the sheer number of flavors is remarkable -- I base this on other young whiskies I like, including the Party Source Willett 3 YO bourbon and the various young Willett ryes, which are great but pretty one-note. And equally important, taken as a whole it's delicious stuff. It's not just "interesting" or "different"; the flavors work together to make an enjoyable whole.

From reading this thread I understand that the Leopold's didn't want the effects of aging to overwhelm the flavors in this whiskey. I can respect that, but am also very anxious to try this whiskey at a more advanced age and perhaps a slightly higher proof. It tastes and feels a bit thin, if that makes any sense. But the fact that such a young rye at just 43% is so striking is really impressive.

I bought a case of this when it was released. VERY tasty stuff. I'd be willing to trade a bottle or two to SBers who can't find it. Feel free to PM me.

That's quite kind of you to offer, thank you. (big fan of the Western Oat from your shop, btw)

It tastes and feels a bit thin, if that makes any sense. But the fact that such a young rye at just 43% is so striking is really impressive.

It does make sense, and I would agree. Its flavors/aromas are fairly gentle when compared to some.

We'll have the BIB out in 3+ years. Perhaps that will be more to your liking. Appreciate the interest.

It does make sense, and I would agree. Its flavors/aromas are fairly gentle when compared to some.

We'll have the BIB out in 3+ years. Perhaps that will be more to your liking. Appreciate the interest.

While I'm certainly looking forward to the BIB, I hope you noticed that I referred to your Maryland Style Rye as "delicious stuff" and enthused over the flavors of black tea, apples, and cocoa in the whiskey. Yes, I'm curious to try it in a few more years, but as it stands, I'm very happy with my purchase and think you've made a terrific rye. If I saw another bottle, I'd buy it.

I did indeed! I didn't mean to sound negative. I was just in agreement with what you tasted in the whiskey.

Understand that this is quite rewarding for a distiller. It's nice when someone likes your work, but when they pick out what you're trying to accomplish in the finished whiskey it's particularly rewarding. Whether they care for these attributes isn't as important, as we all have different preferences.

That's quite kind of you to offer, thank you. (big fan of the Western Oat from your shop, btw)

Gotta spread the wealth...and the love. Thank YOU, and keep up the great work.

• 2 weeks later...

You know what I love about distillers? When one offers to supply customers with another distiller's product. That speaks volumes about the congeniality of the trade to me.

A very kind offer indeed! I have reached out to my local distributor and will continue to pester, umm, thoughtfully request they try to bring some to Atlanta in the Fall. They are pretty good about doing what they can so I will see how it goes.

If I am not successful then I guess I will again be looking for other options!

I just turned up another bottle of Leopold Bros. Maryland Style Rye. If anyone is having trouble finding one of their own, let me know via PM and we can work out a trade.

• 3 weeks later...

Based on the comments here, I grabbed a couple bottles. Upon tasting, I agree with the earlier comments, both that this is a very delicious drink today, and that I look forward to the BIB version that can perhaps stand up better when mixed. I didn't get everything the MrAtomic got, but that is most likely a deficiency in my palate rather than an error in his....although I will keep trying to pick those flavors out; even if I have to drink the whole bottle.:grin:

• 3 weeks later...

I need to check the Rye forum more often. Mr. Leopold, thank you for following up.

I'm having another pour from my original bottle now. I don't think that I would change my tasting notes much, but tonight the chocolate has a smoky bacon like quality of a Vosges Chocolate Bacon Bar. Apparently this guitar amplifier goes to 11.

I'm very eager to taste the Bottled in Bond.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.