E.H Taylor Bourbons

cgbakerjr
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Now they don't even have it on the site. I went to the link and it shows -9 on quantity.?? :skep:

Full disclosure: I ordered one bottle yesterday. ;)

It is a pretty cool looking package that is for sure. I probably won't be able to resist opening mine so I'll try to get my impressions up over the weekend... Or maybe sooner.

CA allocations are going to be small. I hope everyone is looking nationwide or knows someone at their local liquor store. I'm thinking we might only get around 6-12 bottles for the first drop.

Il allocation should be small as well, but we're suppose to get some soon. :grin:

Fed Ex brought my two to me yesterday.

I have not been lucky enough to get one yet, so I will need to live through you...

Give us some notes....:grin:

Has anyone tasted theirs yet?

I don't think I'll be able to resist and will probably open mine tonight, heck I may open it right now to nose it a little before heading to the gym...

We picked it up yesterday and I waited until today to crack open the bottle (after all yesterday was Irish Whiskey day).

It's going to take some time living with this bottle until I really get comfortable with how I feel about it. Right of the bat, it's no where near the top of the list of my favorite bourbons. However, my first impression is that it is going to be a bourbon I want to keep open on the shelf (for as long as my 2 bottles last). It has a definite softness to it that I normally don't care for, but in this package it is attractive. I was anticipating some that was in your face, but this just puts a nice sweet corn flavor in your mouth and while having a little heat it is not uncomfortable by any shape of the imagination. The finish is what really intrigues me. After taking a sip, my non-bourbon drinking wife asked "where is the aftertaste "" and then about 5 seconds later you get a very pleasant and long lasting finish.

Going to keep tasting this for a few days to decide about getting some additional bottles.

^^I had a similar experience to yours. There is a lot of flavor on the front-end of this whiskey. Very sweet... like dessert. But it's not one-dimensional sweet, it is complex enough that you should really sit with it. The night I opened it I found the finish to be quite soft. Very smooth, no burn, and just a slight follow-through of the flavors initially presented on the mid-palate. But, last night I sat with it a bit more patiently and without distraction, and I agree that while subtle, there is a pleasant and moderately long finish. I think you need to prepare yourself for the idea that this is not a bourbon designed to knock yo out, or as you said, be in your face... rather, it's a bit more delicate, a bit more subtle, and requires a little bit of patience to pull out what makes it special. On the other hand, there is so much pleasing flavor on that front-end, that patience is not needed to enjoy it as a really delicious sipper. But, for $70 I think I owe it to the bourbon to give it my undivided attention.

My first impression is that it is in the general profile of an Elmer T Lee.

It has a sweetness and body like the best of them, a bit of spice and bite, and an overall mild balance that makes me think of the recent Elmer 15yo. The great prize, though, is the greater fruitiness and complexity, especially in the nose.

My first impression is that it is in the general profile of an Elmer T Lee.

It has a sweetness and body like the best of them, a bit of spice and bite, and an overall mild balance that makes me think of the recent Elmer 15yo. The great prize, though, is the greater fruitiness and complexity, especially in the nose.

Nice comparison Roger...too bad the the new E.H. Taylor is 2x the price of the ETL 15yr...I guess we have to look at is as we got a steal on the ETL 15's! :) I have two of the E.H. Taylor's coming...can't wait to see for myself how it is. :

I know I've probably said this several times, but BT's plan is to make E.H. Taylor the Van Winkle of rye-recipe bourbons.

And something Ryan said bears repeating for everyone who hasn't tried it yet: "I think you need to prepare yourself for the idea that this is not a bourbon designed to knock you out, or as you said, be in your face... rather, it's a bit more delicate, a bit more subtle, and requires a little bit of patience to pull out what makes it special."

Well said and exactly right.

And something Ryan said bears repeating for everyone who hasn't tried it yet: "I think you need to prepare yourself for the idea that this is not a bourbon designed to knock you out, or as you said, be in your face... rather, it's a bit more delicate, a bit more subtle, and requires a little bit of patience to pull out what makes it special."

I need to come back to it again later, but my first impression is that maybe the subtlety was overdone, the finish was completely non-existent to me. But it was my first pour of the night and I usually pick things up better on the 2nd or 3rd...

Did they identify the mash bill? I was hoping for something new, but it did strike me as similar to other BT; cross of ETL and Hanock's perhaps.

How about someone start a thread in the Tasting forum for tasting notes.

I know I've probably said this several times, but BT's plan is to make E.H. Taylor the Van Winkle of rye-recipe bourbons.

Reminds me of an exchange between Marge & Lisa Simpson

Marge: Sweetie, you could still go to McGill. The Harvard of Canada.

Lisa: Anything that's the something of the something isn't really the anything of the anything

They won't reveal the mash bill but we can safely assume it wasn't a custom one and was, therefore, one of their two rye-recipe bourbon mash bills.

They won't reveal the mash bill but we can safely assume it wasn't a custom one and was, therefore, one of their two rye-recipe bourbon mash bills.

I could be wrong, but it sure seems like the same mashbill as ETL and Hancock's because to me itd like a cross between the two. Its really too bad they didn't do this to the original mashbill, if they have it. So far, I am not impressed.

but it did strike me as similar to other BT; cross of ETL and Hanock's perhaps.

I think you pretty much nailed it with that statement. Since I'm a ETL fan it worked a little better for me that I think it did for you Christian. Can't help but wonder how much a better finish would have helped.

Remember, they didn't know they were making E. H. Taylor when they made this. Subsequent to acquiring the brand they made a batch using a recreation of Taylor's mashbill, but that isn't this.

I think everyone has lost sight of what this is. This bourbon was an experiment in to another way to do sour mashing the way it may have been done 100 years ago. No one said this was the ultimate bourbon or the next new thing. It was an experiment, they had a limited amount of it and if you wanted to try some of it you could. Limited editions are going for around this price range. I think this bourbon is unique it's not the best thing on the planet I didn't expect to be. I expected to try a piece of history and that's what I got.

I think this bourbon is unique it's not the best thing on the planet I didn't expect to be.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.