Who Likes White Dog?

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Most of us who have visited distilleries have tasted bourbon white dog. Buffalo Trace is the only major distillery to have released its bourbon white dog as a product. Corn whiskeys such as Georgia Moon have generally been the only other widely available white dogs. Many of us have posted that we wished white dog was more available.

You know the saying, be careful what you wish for ...

Now, thanks to the growing micro-distillery community, we have all kinds of white dog on the market, even more if we count the lightly-aged stuff.

Is there anyone who thinks there is still not enough white dog on the market?

So, how much white dog are you really drinking, relative to your consumption of aged whiskey? Would you say you enjoy white dog exclusively, frequently, occasionally, rarely, or never?

Yes, I said "enjoy" instead of "drink" on purpose.

How many different white dog products do you own? How often do you reach for one of them?

How do you drink your white dog?

I have two bottles of Georgia Moon Corn Whiskey (imported to Australia at a cost of about $65AU per bottle.) I find them to be a great reminder of the White Dog I sampled when touring the distilleries a few years ago. They are definately not something I drink on my own often, but for some reason I'm drawn to the smell and often nose it for comparison to whatever bourbon I'm drinking at the time.

I always bring them out at get-togethers with family & friends who drink bourbon. Even if they don't normally drink bourbon neat, people tend to find it a fascinating product to smell and taste and the Jam Jar packaging rates highly with everyone who sees it.

I have been intending to buy a bottle of Tuthilltown Spirits Corn Whiskey for a while now, more as a comparison point to the Georgia Moon and not because it will be something I'd gravitate towards drinking regularly.

The stuff gives me instant heartburn and it feels like I've swallowed a steel wool pad.

Pass.

I have never had white dog. I did have some moonshine in the early 90's - I would not want to drink it again for any reason. It was like very bad vodka with a very strong "whang".

Tim

I have never had white dog. I did have some moonshine in the early 90's - I would not want to drink it again for any reason. It was like very bad vodka with a very strong "whang".

Tim

It's got a little "whang" in it.

3369067.jpg

I like White Dog in Bloody Marys. It really adds some good body/sweetness/flavor to a good spicy drink. Beyond that, it has its place in some mixed drinks, but I will be the first to admit it is a limited market.

Same here at to never buying any or do I intend to. I have had the BT and some of the Kovel's which were interesting and tasty. Just not something I want to spend my hard earned money on.

I quite like white dog, but sadly don't own much of it. Quite frankly most of it is way out of the range of prices I consider acceptable. Should you really have to pay $25 for a 375 of unaged distillate? That's just nuts.

I really like white dog, but the price keeps me from bringing them home. I have some obsk white dog that I love, as well as some Ardbeg new make, which I prefer to the regular Ardbeg expressions.

I have a bottle of the BT version. I've tried it once and had some friends try it. I like it for what is in the bourbon making process, but it's not something I would ever buy again.

I love White Dog, my wife loves White Dog, my kids love...

Oh wait, you mean white whiskey.:lol:

I have BT, Georgia Moon, Tuthilltown, and some Kovals. I like the Kovals, and don't care for the others. I like having the Kovals on hand for the intellectual exercise of examining "pure" forms of Rye and Wheat, so no, I don't love them.

I do agree with Kickert, in that I'll use Koval Whiskeys in place of Vodka, which I don't own. In the summertime, if my wife wants a vodka-lemonade, she'll get a Koval-lemonade.

I have a half dozen or so bottles, mostly full. I generally taste them once and then they sit on the shelf. As a rule, I know longer buy unaged whiskey.

The only bottle I have that is close to finished is the BT which is the best of the lot. I like, particularly that it is cask strength. However, the reason it is close to empty is not so much that I drink it regularly as that I use it in tastings, and of course it is a 375 ml.

I have a bottle of the BT version. I've tried it once and had some friends try it. I like it for what is in the bourbon making process, but it's not something I would ever buy again.

I have only had the BT version of white dog and didn't care for it at all. I don't think I will be buying any other version anytime son.

I'm not drinking very much white dog compared to my consumption of aged bourbon (which isn't ALL that much anyways). I don't particularly enjoy it, it's more of a novelty thing. I'm glad I have had the opportunity to taste exactly what goes into the barrel at the proof it in which it usually goes in at (it makes me appreciate that barrel more and more). I only have the BT Mash Bill #1.

The only reason I would every buy a bottle is if I had a tasting. I enjoy having a taste side by side with a bourbon every now and again just to appreciate the difference. But a bottle of Evan Williams or (insert value bourbon here) costs $12 and is a whole heck of a lot better.

The bloody mary suggestion does intrigue me. If that is good it might make me keep a bottle in the freezer.

I really enjoy white dog. I brings back fond memories of a distillery visit, and I do actually enjoy the flavor. That said, I would not want to drink it every day and so buying a whole bottle usually doesn't make sense. It would be very cool to be able to buy this in miniatures or 100ml bottles.

I bought a couple BT white dog bottles when they first came out and use them up by sharing with all my friends. Most people actually like it! I also gave one to my local favorite liquor store so they could pour for customers too.

I was able to get a sample of Makers white dog a year or so back and THAT was quite good.

I probably drink more white dog than anything else. We I do have a ready source in our glen thunder corn whiskey.

I thought you might find it interesting, Mr. Cowdery, that the vast vast majority of White Dog is being used by high end bartenders. We've had a crew asking for the stuff for a few years now, and they're all bartenders. On premise is where there's any pull through, if that.

As you can see from this thread, that's how most consumers enjoy it--- in cocktails.

To me, white dog is cheap medical insurance.

Its the thrill of Moonshine without the potential consequences.

Its like riding an amusement park ride. The thrill without chance of death.

Novelty.

I don't particularly like it as a style or the flavors that are in it, but I recognize them and recognize that "good" white dog might lead to a better final product.

Am I going to buy Bourbon Futures (like Bourdeaux Futures) based on the early product.

Doubtul. (Even if it was an option)

Just my three cents.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.