Willett Straight Rye Whiskey

PaulO
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I picked this up yesterday for a little over $30, just to try something new. The label says single barrel, aged 2 years, 110 proof, distilled in Indiana. The whiskey is about the same color as regular Jack Daniels. It has a very flowery perfume like charecteristic, and tastes to me like apricots. It's not harsh at all for 2 year old and 110 proof. I really like it, and hope to get more. I know you guys love to talk about Lawrenceburg so I thought I should post this. :grin:

I tried this at the Julio's Liquor whiskey fest today. Very light with citrus, grapefruit, and cucumber. This particular batch was 3 years old and 110 proof. I think it'd be good for rye cocktails where there is lemon or lime involved- something like a Scofflaw.

I picked up a bottle for a little over 35.

I tried this at the Julio's Liquor whiskey fest today. Very light with citrus, grapefruit, and cucumber. This particular batch was 3 years old and 110 proof. I think it'd be good for rye cocktails where there is lemon or lime involved- something like a Scofflaw.

I picked up a bottle for a little over 35.

I grabbed the last one of these off the shelf at Julio's yesterday and wish there had been another . . . this was wild, untamed rye, but still very, very nice . . . I think it'll be a fine sipping whiskey at 3yrs and 115 proof -- with the 15% discount Ryan was giving, it was under $30 . . . win!

Had some as well at Julio's, Drew was pouring if you recognized him under that beard. For me it started out as massive chewing gum mint. Very nice for 2yo.

Good to see you there Andy.

Was this an Estate bottling that listed Indiana as the source?

It's the Willett Estate label, 2yr(although some are now 3yr) LDI distilled, cask strength Rye. I've had the 108.2, the 110, and the 115.2. All are quite good, and taste shockingly complete for 2yr old Rye. Lots of Wintergreen and ginger.

I had another dram when I got home from work. I'm a proud Hoosier today. If I find the 3 year old, I'll have to try that too.

And yes, it states "Distilled in Indiana" on the back label.

When did KBD enter this new period of disclosure?

When did KBD enter this new period of disclosure?

Shocking, isn't it. :cool: :cool:

yup. there it is: "Distilled in Indiana."

Willet Family Estate Single Barrel Rye Whiskey

3 years old

Barrel No. 4398

ABV 57.5% (115 proof)

Bottle No. 11/216

It's always the distiller that doesn't the source to be revealed.

In this case it sounds like they want some pub.

I wonder if they told Drew to disclose the info.

WOW! Was in Hi Time yesterday and was shocked to see this made it out to the west coast. They got a few bottles of the 115.2 proof version so I picked one up. Very unique! Loads of grassy, mint, floral goodness. Very happy to have stumbled upon this.

And yes, I was also shocked to see the normally secretive KBD disclosing the source. Maybe as a next step they can tell us if they are chill filtering?!? A guy can dream right?

All the Willetts I have say Distilled and Bottled in Kentucky. So Willett has always disclosed what state the whiskey was distilled in.....

This is probably the only sourced whiskey they have gotten from outside of KY.

can someone post a pic of the front label?

Maybe as a next step they can tell us if they are chill filtering?!? A guy can dream right?

All the Willetts I have say Distilled and Bottled in Kentucky. So Willett has always disclosed what state the whiskey was distilled in.....

This is probably the only sourced whiskey they have gotten from outside of KY.

can someone post a pic of the front label?

Here you go Scott

post-1354-14489817157599_thumb.jpg

post-1354-14489817158024_thumb.jpg

Thanks Reid....

Looks like to me they did not disclose any more than they always have. We are just lucky that there is only 1 reasonable choice for an Indiana distilled product. If there were 7 distilleries in Indiana, we would be in the dark just as much as when they say distilled in KY....

...If there were 7 distilleries in Indiana, we would be in the dark just as much as when they say distilled in KY....

I don't know. How in the dark are you really?

I guess buying at retail is one thing. But when you buy a private selection (like many if not most are) do you really not know or are you just asked as a gentleman to not crow about it (heh, heh) on the internet? On the other hand if you buy say, Wild Turkey for instance, are you really sure you know where all of its juice came from?

Roger

I'm sure that if you do a private barreling you know where it came from you can read the barrel head. I think your supposed to keep it to yourself. I believe Drew was a little unhappy about somebody telling everyone where his barrel came from on here. If I got the story straight he threatened not to do barrel purchases for SB members any more at the time.

I guess their European customers are not so inquisitive.

Or can not read English

Perhaps one of our European members would care to chime in and tell us exactly what is on the label there.

Perhaps one of our European members would care to chime in and tell us exactly what is on the label there.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.