Willett Straight Rye Whiskey

PaulO
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

OK...thanks very much!

I am eager to get a bottle. I had the 4 year Nd it was quite nice even for the age.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am eager to get a bottle. I had the 4 year Nd it was quite nice even for the age.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah...maybe. So far, I am not much for the LDI ryes though...just lacks something I cherish in rye. IDK, maybe Mr. Stagg has burnt up my taste buds to the point nothing is the same as it once was...lol

Yeah...maybe. So far, I am not much for the LDI ryes though...just lacks something I cherish in rye. IDK, maybe Mr. Stagg has burnt up my taste buds to the point nothing is the same as it once was...lol

I understand the lack of enthusiasm for LDI Rye, based on other bottlings, but I would recommend giving the Willet a go. It's by far my favorite of the LDI bunch, maybe due to the ABV. And hey, what have you got to lose?

I understand the lack of enthusiasm for LDI Rye, based on other bottlings, but I would recommend giving the Willet a go. It's by far my favorite of the LDI bunch, maybe due to the ABV. And hey, what have you got to lose?

I'd give this a hearty second. Having tried many of the others, Willett does stand above them. It makes a good argument about higher proof's being more flavorful.

I'd love to see this line in a longer age from LDI/Willett, but I'm not getting my hopes up too much on this one.

B

And hey, what have you got to lose?

You guys have just about talked me into it. Only problem is the new year funds being as they are, have me in a corner. Which is the better choice: 2 of the Willett 5yo OR the BMH 18 I passed on the other day (a dusty in an out-of-the-way store...$90 might explain why)?

I like the LDI rye, but if you've had one you've had them all. Probably the best one is Bulleit Rye, in terms of what you get for the price.

I like the LDI rye, but if you've had one you've had them all. Probably the best one is Bulleit Rye, in terms of what you get for the price.

It's also the oldest of them, right? I had read it's 6-7 years old.

Chuck, check out West Lakeview Liquors' 1B 3yo Willet Rye. A lot of sweet wintergreen for $35.

Personally, I might go with the BMH, just for the fact that it is not going to be widely available, or probably much lower in price anywhere. While the Willett will be somewhat more easy to find again in a couple of months.

Chuck, I'd generally agree with you about the Bulleit, out our the other usual suspect on the market that are LDI based, it is the best of the bunch for the price. But I would still tip the scale in favor of the Willett, it still is just a bit deeper than the Bulleit in terms of it's overall flavor profile. Straight, a bit of water or in a cocktail, it's a mighty fine pour, even if it is a few dollar more than Bulleit.

B

Personally, I might go with the BMH, just for the fact that it is not going to be widely available, or probably much lower in price anywhere.

Yep, that's the way I am leaning and now that Chuck has thrown Bulleit into the discussion it reminds me that I have ever tried it. Been doing some online research on reviews of the BMH18 this afternoon. Not too many shining ones to say the least. Seems the majority have found it lacking for the price and the BMH23 a lot better buy. Both are dinosaurs from the latest news though as old rye supply is running low & out.

That part does have me worried. But fortunately bunkering a small allotment of this has allowed to to sleep better at night.

But seriously, they would be have to be nuts to change it up. With the limited rye market, they really have a amazing niche, one of which they do very well.

B

• 6 months later...

Just saw a 6 yr. Willett rye on the shelf. I liked the 5 yr. Actually have an open bottle on the shelf now. Might have to buy the 6 yr. just for comparison purposes. The one that's all but disappeared is the WT 101 rye. My personal favorite.

I was able to get the Willett 3 & 5's for $30.99 at my local shop. They had been out for awhile, just noticed they are back at $35.99. Still probably worth it, but I liked it alot more at $30. What are the rest of you seeing for the 5?

Just saw a 6 yr. Willett rye on the shelf. I liked the 5 yr. Actually have an open bottle on the shelf now. Might have to buy the 6 yr. just for comparison purposes. The one that's all but disappeared is the WT 101 rye. My personal favorite.

I tasted a 6 year at KBD last month and it was very impressive. I bought two bottles but haven't opened either yet.

I tasted a 6 year at KBD last month and it was very impressive. I bought two bottles but haven't opened either yet.

Incidentally, I just looked and my bottles say distilled in Kentucky. Different juice or mislabeling? Hmm...

Low $30's. Still a great deal for a tasty rye that really so far as flown under the radar of most people.

I put it above WT101 any day. Personally, i think it just is a better all around spirit when either straight, cut with some water, or used in a cocktail. 101 falls short in the diluted category.

B

Incidentally, I just looked and my bottles say distilled in Kentucky. Different juice or mislabeling? Hmm...

• 1 month later...

Just kicked open my 6 year tonight and like it much more then the Ritt BIB and thought it blew the WTR101 away in a side by side I also love the nose and minty finish

• 2 weeks later...

I opened a 5 year, 110 proof last week that was pretty austere for only being 5 years old. Much less of the sugary sweetness that I found in the 4 year old that I bought earlier.

I'm going to give it a few weeks of air time, I think-- a lot of times this overly drying aspect evens out with time.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.