Spicy Bourbon Pecans

Jono
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

A great way to combine bourbon and pecans...will be trying this one.

http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/food/articles/2008/12/10/spicy_bourbon_pecans/

Spicy bourbon pecans

By The Catered Affair

December 9, 2008

As Pecans are a super food...

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/02/110224145607.htm

Antioxidants in Pecans May Contribute to Heart Health and Disease Prevention

ScienceDaily (Feb. 28, 2011)

Can't go wrong with that recipe, bourbon and pecans, what's not to like.

A Christmas tradition for me is to always have in shell nuts around for the holidaze.

The local store only puts them out at that time of year at around $2.49 per pound in "bulk" form with a sale in early December at $1.69 per pound.

This past season they never went on sale and they had no pecans.

Pecans were only available in a one pound Diamond brand bag at $5.00 per pound and other stores had that same bag at $7.00 per pound.

I did some searching and found out that GA & AL lost a lot of pecan trees in the hurricanes of 2006 and severe droughts last summer.

I hope the pecan growers can recover as these are my favorites but I made do with walnuts and Brazil nuts this past season.

But I did break down and buy some high priced pecans shortly before Christmas.

I like to snack on raw pecans...can buy them bagged in produce aisle (also almonds, pistachios, cashews, walnuts...etc. but I avoid the salted as much as possible. Yes, they are blander but I still enjoy them. For this recipe I will tweak some of the less desirable amounts of sugar...but at only 1/2 teaspoon of salt for 1 lb that isn't too bad.

Made some with a very similar recipe (don't remember using bitters, but that's a good inclusion) for New Years and everyone loved them....and they are super simple to make.

Tom

I love pecans and bourbon, but I'm skeptical about the cayenne pepper -- especially a TABLESPOON of it...yowza

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.