Grosscurth Distillery

Bob Hill
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I am a writer historian seeking information on the Grosscurth Distillery near Louisville, Ky., which was burned in fire in 1968. I understand it had an operation on Floyds Fork in Jefferson County. I would love to contact a former employee. Can anyone help - or send me in right direction?

Bob Hill

According to Sam Cecil, that distillery in Anchorage (a now very ritzy suburb east of Louisville) stopped operating in the 1950s and was demolished in 1976. In addition to Charles Grosscurth, Sr. and Jr., Joe Makler had some involvement with the operation.

Under Makler it bore the name Shawhan and also at some point the names Meadowlawn, and Waterfill and Frazier. All of those names, except Grosscurth, appeared on other Kentucky distilleries too at various times, which makes it confusing. Also confusing is the fact that there was a town called Meadowlawn, which was the site of a distillery, which may or may not at some point have been called Meadowlawn but which is usually known as John P. Dant or Old Boone. The town of Meadowlawn was renamed Valley Village and is in southern Jefferson County.

I'm not sure where Floyd's Fork is.

As for people who worked there, they would have had to have worked there very young and would now be very old, but lots of people read these postings so you might get a hit.

If you tell us a little bit more about what you're trying to discover we might be able to help you more. The histories of these distilleries are so intertwined. Grosscurth, for example, also apparently owned the Old Joe Distillery in the 1940s (not current Four Roses but the defunct one across the street).

Charlie,

Thank you. I am interested in Grosscurth Distillery because I am historian for a Louisville group that is creating a 27-mile park along a stream called Floyds Fork in Louisville, KY. There is an old damn site on the Fork which everyone here believes was part of the Grosscurth Distillery. I am spending years researching people and places along the river - hence my interest. I would love to find old photos, people who worked there, etc. I am a retired newpaper columnist with Louisville Courier-Jourrnal and have written 10 books on various subjects.

Bob Hill

In 2002 the Grosscurth Estate donated $12.5 million to UofL, it's likely they probably also donated personal papers to the archives there. Also check with Micheal Veach at the Filson, as he might know of any other papers or deeds to the property.

The distillery is also listed as an asbestos job site, so finding the applicable lawyer may turn up an exact location. It's on Owens Corning Site list here. Entry 7522.

The histories of these distilleries are so intertwined. Grosscurth, for example, also apparently owned the Old Joe Distillery in the 1940s (not current Four Roses but the defunct one across the street).

According to UofL archives, the Old Joe they refer to is now Four Roses, if these pictures are correct

My records show it was the other Old Joe, but you never know with this stuff. I think it all came from Cecil but this is one of those cases where Sam says one thing on one page then contradicts himself on the next. Those were very good suggestions you gave him.

Nobody calls me Charlie.

Nobody calls me Charlie.

Until now. :grin:

Padpadpadpad

Nobody calls me Charlie.

Charlie is the new Chuck. :grin:

Padpadpadpad

My records show it was the other Old Joe, but you never know with this stuff. I think it all came from Cecil but this is one of those cases where Sam says one thing on one page then contradicts himself on the next. Those were very good suggestions you gave him.

I had assumed it was the other also, until those photos popped up. Cecil was the only source I had as well.

Oh I donno, Charlie has a friendly, good humored ring to it, like Charlie Brown.

My apologies for calling Charles "Charlie" - I apparently was drinking out of the wrong barrel on that one.

Still looking for more info - and photos - of the Grosscurth distillery on Echo Trail near Louisville. That address is right along Floyds Fork. Any suggestions on where to turn next?

bob hill

I had assumed it was the other also, until those photos popped up. Cecil was the only source I had as well.

That's clearly Four Roses but how do you know the photograph is correctly attributed? Both distilleries were at various times called both Old Joe and Old Prentice, so it would be an easy mistake to make.

I found some other notes, probably also originating with Cecil, indicating that the Dowling family may have been involved early, which is where the Waterfill & Frazier name came from.

Were I in Louisville and interested in this, I would go directly to the source of most of the information in both Cecil's book and the one by Chet Zoeller. Both relied on the work of H. L. (Whit) Coyte of Paris, Kentucky. Coyte, who died in 1987, had attempted to document the history of every Kentucky distillery in operation prior to Prohibition, but his work was never published. His papers are in the collection of the University of Louisville Library.

My apologies for calling Charles "Charlie" - I apparently was drinking out of the wrong barrel on that one.

Still looking for more info - and photos - of the Grosscurth distillery on Echo Trail near Louisville. That address is right along Floyds Fork. Any suggestions on where to turn next?

bob hill

Checking out a 1913 map, Echo Trail was not positioned as it is now. While it now runs into Eastwood at Shelbyville Rd, it used to meet Shelbyville Pike where modern-day S Beckley Station Rd is now.

Micheal Veach at the Filson is the way to go.

• 4 weeks later...

I already spoke with Bob on the Grosscurth distillery, but also, My grandmother worked there till it burned to the ground and in all this history searching, we are trying to do a collection of the products made there. So if any one knows of any old Grosscurth bourbon bottles (full always being a plus) please let me know. I know they made several, and alot were done under contracts for other distilleries, but so far I know they made "Old Mill Stream" there under grosscurth, the Maloney Distilling decanters (villian, hippie, and flower child) were filled there, and even Old crow, Heaven Hill, and Johnny Walker were bottled there, but seek the ones that have Grosscurth, from Anchorage Ky, or Bardstown Ky, Echo Trail Rd (Which actually is in Fisherville, Ky).

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!!

Jeff

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.