Bourbon selection in 1970s liquor stores

Robmo
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I think it was 1980. They also manipulated things very well. Much as Woodford Reserve has done, they took pains to get Maker's minis on airlines, targeting business travelers. That in part is what the WSJ article is about. Then they launched a series of humorous, all-text, small-space ads in ... the Wall Street Journal.

But from that point forward, Maker's proved that American whiskey could be sold on quality and could be sold as a contemporary, urban, upscale product, not a country bumpkin like Jack Daniel's. Now we take super-premium bourbons for granted but Maker's proved it was possible, and it only took them 20 years to do it!

Since then, Maker's Mark has grown every year, often by double-digits. Demand has exceeded supply every year for the past 30 years too.

So Maker's started it. A few years later, Blanton's began. Then Booker's and Knob Creek. Then Evan Williams Single Barrel and Woodford Reserve. Then Russell's Reserve started, and Four Roses re-entered the U.S. market, and Barton launched 1792. I'm sure I'm missing a few: Daniel's comes out with Gentleman Jack and Single Barrel, Beam comes out with Black Label, Old Forester does Birthday Bourbon, BT does the antiques, etc. etc., but it all started with Maker's Mark proving that 'premium bourbon' was not an oxymoron.

So Maker's started it. A few years later, Blanton's began. Then Booker's and Knob Creek. Then Evan Williams Single Barrel and Woodford Reserve. Then Russell's Reserve started, and Four Roses re-entered the U.S. market, and Barton launched 1792. I'm sure I'm missing a few: Daniel's comes out with Gentleman Jack and Single Barrel, Beam comes out with Black Label, Old Forester does Birthday Bourbon, BT does the antiques, etc. etc., but it all started with Maker's Mark proving that 'premium bourbon' was not an oxymoron.

The above paragraph should be the proverbial picture next to the word succinct in the dictionary :Clever: .

• 1 month later...
I think it was 1980. They also manipulated things very well. Much as Woodford Reserve has done, they took pains to get Maker's minis on airlines, targeting business travelers. That in part is what the WSJ article is about. Then they launched a series of humorous, all-text, small-space ads in ... the Wall Street Journal.

But from that point forward, Maker's proved that American whiskey could be sold on quality and could be sold as a contemporary, urban, upscale product, not a country bumpkin like Jack Daniel's. Now we take super-premium bourbons for granted but Maker's proved it was possible, and it only took them 20 years to do it!

Since then, Maker's Mark has grown every year, often by double-digits. Demand has exceeded supply every year for the past 30 years too.

Nice succinct history..all you need is some begats in there and you'd have a passage from the Old Testament of Bourbon

• 1 month later...

Nobody mentioned Weller Special Reserve. I started high school in '78 in Texas and remember Weller ads all over the place. Was that just in Texas? A lot of the ads just said "Weller and Water"..I think I remember one thatcalled it "The After Dinner Bourbon" as well.

I don't think Weller has ever been a truly national brand, but it's always been big in Texas.

A co-worker of mine is a big scotch drinker. He recently inherited 3 garage cabinets, 2 full of tools, and 1 full of 1970s-1980s unopened bourbon bottles. He said many were Jim Beam, and he noticed they much different than today's Beam. He thought it had aged in the bottle, until I explained the glut, and aging differences then v. now. He's asked for my help in determining what he has. I'll update this thread with what I learn, as I imagine I'll have some questions and there will be a general curiousity.

I don't think Weller has ever been a truly national brand, but it's always been big in Texas.

Oh, OK, thanks..

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.