Abraham Bowman Rye - Barrel-Strength

jburlowski
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

From the Party Source. It's a private, single barrel, 9yr 10 mo old, and at barrel-proof of 68.2% ABV.

Cinnamon and licorice and brown sugar… and a hint of chocolate. A little oak that comes across as rye toast. Rich, with great mouth feel. Also some spearmint notes flitting around the background.

If you like kick-ass, in-your-face rye --- you’ll love this. This is something to slowly savor.

This is, I believe, the first reported sighting outside of the Commonwealth of Virginia. Jay does it again.

I'm glad to see this Bowman product outside of Virginia. This bodes well for the longevity of that project. I need to look at the shelves again to try to find barrel strength - I'd jump on that in a heart beat. I think all the Abraham Bowman Rye I've seen was 90 proof.

Would love to hear more from other's on this, this is the first time ive seen this Rye and Distillery. I am a big Thomas H Handy fan, how does it stack up to that and its power.

Same Sazerac mash bill as the THH. More age, and to my taste, more complexity.

Same Sazerac mash bill as the THH. More age, and to my taste, more complexity.

I've only had the 90 proof, but felt it more complex than Handy. Reminds me more of Saz 18 than Handy. But I've not taken it head to head with either one. I pulled a bottle and judging by the printed distilled/bottled dates it's eleven or eleven and half years in wood.

How come I can't find a dang thing anywhere searching on google for the 136 proof bottle. Everything is 90 proof.

Is party source the only one to get this version or something?

Is party source the only one to get this version or something?

Yes.... It is a Party Source release only.... And probably will not be done again...

Yes.... It is a Party Source release only.... And probably will not be done again...

Just picked up a bottle of this last week. Haven't cracked it yet but I believe this is a special bottle(s) to have in the bunker.

Mine is due to arrive on the 29th via Fed Ex. Looking forward to it.:grin:

Mine is due to arrive on the 29th via Fed Ex. Looking forward to it.:grin:

Please let me know asap on what you think. I would really appreciate, hesitant to pay $70 for this bottle without any reviews or knowledge of notes and real power. Thanks!

Funny that when this was released in Virginia only about a year ago there wasn't much excitement about it. Now it seems like the hot, new thing.

Funny that when this was released in Virginia only about a year ago there wasn't much excitement about it. Now it seems like the hot, new thing.
[QUOTE][/QUOTE]

That was 90prf, this is barrel prf.

That was 90prf, this is barrel prf.

Bingo, never had the 90proof so I can't compare this to anything. That being said though, I am a big barrel proof type and while I have not yet pulled the trigger and it is hard for me on a random $70 bottle I am all about taking the plunge. Just waiting for that review or two on here from fellow members.

Well my bottle arrived today. I have never tried to look into a bourbon or rye anymore than I like the flavor so bear with me.

Nose: Spice

Palate: I get some cinnamon,leather, and some mint. Never gotten a mint flavor from a rye before.

Finish: Nice and long to me.

I am glad I have this in my collection and someone more experienced will probably give everyone better tasting notes. On the question of is it worth it, it is to me.:grin:

Well my bottle arrived today. I have never tried to look into a bourbon or rye anymore than I like the flavor so bear with me.

Nose: Spice

Palate: I get some cinnamon,leather, and some mint. Never gotten a mint flavor from a rye before.

Finish: Nice and long to me.

I am glad I have this in my collection and someone more experienced will probably give everyone better tasting notes. On the question of is it worth it, it is to me.:grin:

How was the power of the proof? Smooth at all or pretty powerful totally through? Did you drink it neat or water it down to a little lower proof? Just seeing if its right up there with the stout of a Handy even though older, just wanted to see that comparison also.

I have never had Handy as I live in a bourbon and rye wasteland. As for the Bowman Rye I found it had a real good kick concerning the proof, as in you knew you had a drink in hand. I tried it neat to start but decided I liked it better with one cube of ice. Sorry this is probably not much help.

Tried some last night and also got the mint when sipped neat, but also a little too much heat. Some water and a few min. and it opened up nicely with layers of sweetness emerging along with some fruity mint.

Tried some last night and also got the mint when sipped neat, but also a little too much heat. Some water and a few min. and it opened up nicely with layers of sweetness emerging along with some fruity mint.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.