Abraham Bowman Rye - Barrel-Strength

jburlowski
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Were you pretty impressed? You feel like it was worth the price?

Not so much neat but It was much better with water.

If you like your Rye with a generous helping of wood like Vintage 21, 23 or Saz 18 BMH 23, Ritt 21 etc or luscious and sweet without any burn like HW21 then this might not be your cup of tea.

Closer to Handy in character but with a fruiter flavor set relative to Handy's spice. It's a BIG Rye with a distinctive flavor set and some cachet for it's limited availability, I would say it's as accomplished as Handy but different and retailing at about the same price - wether it's worth the $ is your call.

I really love Handy, I have a half bottle left of my first 2010 and another in the bunker. A little young for me which is why I thought I would like this a little more. I have a bottle of Saz18, its alright just a little too mellow for me taste.

Having a hard time finishing the order, for $25 shipping, I need a couple more in the cart to make that worth while too. Jay said I would like it a lot if I liked the Handy, it being 4 more years older roughly I think its being more favorable for my taste....ahhh.

Im personally a wheated bourbon fan. I did really like Handy, but I absolutely hated Saz 18 this year...as in I wouldnt pick up a bottle if i saw it for $20. Any thoughts or opinions on this one considering those facts?

Im personally a wheated bourbon fan. I did really like Handy, but I absolutely hated Saz 18 this year...as in I wouldnt pick up a bottle if i saw it for $20. Any thoughts or opinions on this one considering those facts?

Bowman has a strong family resemblance with Handy in the nose, palate and finish. It drinks as another expression of the same type of rye.

Saz Jr., Handy and Bowman are blood relatives.

Saz 18 is an elderly in-law.

• 2 weeks later...

Any others out there get a bottle, comments?

Placing order mid week before they run out.

I have made tasting notes here if interested --->

http://www.connosr.com/reviews/a-smith-bowman/abraham-bowman-virginia-limited-edition-rye/power-loaded-flavor-explosion/

I really enjoy this whiskey and have a few extras in the bunker. My advice to anyone on the fence who is considering buying a bottle, don't wait too long.

I have made tasting notes here if interested --->

http://www.connosr.com/reviews/a-smith-bowman/abraham-bowman-virginia-limited-edition-rye/power-loaded-flavor-explosion/

I really enjoy this whiskey and have a few extras in the bunker. My advice to anyone on the fence who is considering buying a bottle, don't wait too long.

So you ended up getting a handful of bottles?

So you ended up getting a handful of bottles?

Got one bottle to see if I would like it while making an order of some other whiskey's shortly after AB LTD was available. I liked it and ordered additional for the bunker.

Either pull the trigger... or don't. :smiley_acbt:

Have they arrived yet?

What are your tasting notes?

Comments?

Fricky bought a bottle and let me have a taste. This was quite good and ranked up there with the Handys, Sazeracs and even the 22 y/o COK's. Sorry I cannot be more specific but it was only a taste. I like it.

Joe :usflag:

If you haven't ordered it, it may be too late. As of this afternoon today, inventory shows "out of stock". This morning they had 24 bottles listed last time I checked around 9 or 10 AM. Now, zero left. I hope those who wanted a bottle secured same.

I have gotten word that there will be a second barrel pick of Abraham Bowman Rye that will again be bottled at barrel strength. It sounds like the barrel has already been picked, so keep your eyes peeled in the somewhat near future. It is exciting that there is more of this to look forward to.

I have gotten word that there will be a second barrel pick of Abraham Bowman Rye that will again be bottled at barrel strength. It sounds like the barrel has already been picked, so keep your eyes peeled in the somewhat near future. It is exciting that there is more of this to look forward to.

• 3 weeks later...

Even better news for those looking forward to this. I was told they have picked out not just 1 but 2 more barrels to be bottled at cask strength. Unfortunately no info on when they will get them in but he did say they were both picked out and in process. Until then I will just have to wait anxiously.

I hope it's not a long wait. I am savoring my 1st edition bottle slowly but the level keeps dropping. Hope it's released before I finish my bottle.

I hope it's not a long wait. I am savoring my 1st edition bottle slowly but the level keeps dropping. Hope it's released before I finish my bottle.

I feel your pain. I'm in the same boat.

I feel your pain. I'm in the same boat.

I never got one... Missed it by a day.

Looking forward to the release of more! Thanks for the updates.

Is there anybody that has some confirmation on whether this rye bottle is distilled a third time at Bowman’s and/or stored there the whole or part of the time?

Leif

Is there anybody that has some confirmation on whether this rye bottle is distilled a third time at Bowman’s and/or stored there the whole or part of the time?

Leif

From what I have read within the BT/Saz and A.Smith Bowman websites as well as within various forum threads and/or blogs, it is my understanding that the spirit was initially distilled twice in KY, transported by tanker to A. Smith Bowman in VA where it will remain for the rest of the process as it is distilled a third time, barreled, aged and bottled.

• 2 months later...

A heads up for those of you that may have missed it on the first go-around: The Party Source has another bottling of the barrel-strength Bowman rye on the shelves.

It's not listed on their website yet so those ordering by mail will have to call. If you do order, make sure you specify the Barrel-proof version --- they also carry the standard-issue 90 proof.

• 2 weeks later...
A heads up for those of you that may have missed it on the first go-around: The Party Source has another bottling of the barrel-strength Bowman rye on the shelves.

It's not listed on their website yet so those ordering by mail will have to call. If you do order, make sure you specify the Barrel-proof version --- they also carry the standard-issue 90 proof.

Thanks for the heads-up! Barrel #2 is in fact on the shelf and going fast. Limit two bottles.

For the record, Abraham Bowman Limited Edition Virginia Rye Barrel Strength -

TPS Private Barrel #1 - Distilled 3/14/01 - Bottled 2/01/11 @ 136.4 prf

TPS Private Barrel #2 - Distilled 3/14/01 - Bottled 5/13/11 @ 138.8 prf

TPS Private Barrel #3 - ?

This stuff is good! "Smoke 'em if you got 'em".

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.