What a deal

Paradox
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

In case anyone out there is a big fan of Woodford Reserve and is looking to pick up a few bottles at an unbeatable price follow this link. $10.47 for a 750ml of Woodford Reserve?! Just passing this one along...

--> Mark R.

Wow. Too bad they don't ship to NC or WV. frown.gif

In NC, I just paid $30 at the state ABC for 750 ml this past weekend.

Mark,

I find that price to be literally too good to be true, not that I'm a big fan of WR. (I happen to like the Old Forester 100 better, and it's normally cheaper to boot.)

I hope a StraightBourbonian orders it at that price, just to see if the merchant will honor it. My guess is that it's a cyber-typo.

Even that Willie Nelson stuff hasn't been discounted that much.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

I do agree, I've had good luck and bad luck with this merchant. If it is a typo, they probably just won't honor the order, but heck, for that price it's probably worth the shot if one likes Woodford Reserve.

--> Mark R.

$10.47 does seem too good to be true even though I'm with Dave; I don't doubt the quality of the drink, I just don't care for it.

One hundred three dollars for Sazerac Rye???? Now that's gotta be a typo! It's 36.99 at the local warehouse liquor place, and so is the ER 17. Wow.

I've noticed with this place that they either have a very good price on something or they have a ridiculous price no one with a sane mind would pay. During one sale I got Ezra B. Single Barrel for only $15 and Black maple Hill 16 for about $55 which wasn't that bad just to mention a few. I'm not going to order any either because I don't find anything that special about WF imho, but for a lover of it it may be worth the shot.

Mark R.

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

I'd love to do a case split with anyone of honor that could legally take delivery and would be willing to smuggle the remainder into the old Confederacy. Ready & Willing - Linn shocked.gif

Sorry gang, it appears that price was a typo, tho' with this vendor you never know. They've removed that price tag from Woodford Reserve.

I've purchased a few bargains from these fellows in the past, the shipping $ can be pretty brutal but at least they offer a few selections that my Kansas vendors don't.

From my experience with them, when they remove the 'buy' button like they did that means they have sold out. I'm not sticking up for them but I really think they probably just had either old bottles or too many around and discounted a certain amount to sell quick, and they probably did.

--> Mark R.

Mark,

You're probably right.

Next time they post a super-low price, maybe the best strategy is to order first and then post about it here. grin.gif

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry for ever even posting a thing about this store having a good sale. Some of us know how bad this place can be, but here's a good one. They fixed the price, now the sale price is a little over $5.00 higher than the regular price. Check it out here. Now, I realize it was a mistake but it seems they are becoming infamous for either mistakes or price gouging. These guys would have a great internet store with a decent selection if they could only get their act together... I'm still waiting for an order that I placed in January when they had their 25% off sale! Never again. Sorry InternetWines....

I first went to the internet wines site in JAN, when my son sent me a 25% off coupon from them. I have used them twice,without any problems. There sales are good although some of the regular priced stuff is a lot higher than it is in the stores.Even though you don't pay tax,the shipping ends up costing you more. If you are careful I think that you can do ok. I have never had any problems with the orders themselves. There are many other internet sites If you go to planetliquor.com you will find them listed.If you lookd for the sales you can do very well. Because the shipping is higher, and decreases with the size of the order I think that it is best to buy at least 8 bottles. that puts the shipping at abou $3 a bottle

I've made many more purchases from them then just 2, and it's been a mixed bag. This was the last straw though, and I will not go through it again. I've been more than courteous waiting over 2 months now for an order and after emailing them twice about it, and hearing no answer in a week I think I am right in saying that that is bad for business. People who ran a good business would have offered to ship the 8 bottles they have in stock. Then when the other 4 they have been waiting on for over 2 months came in they would send them. Instead, they did nothing. Could it be that I used the 25% coupon and they figure if i give up they can sell those products at full price? Maybe not, but in this day in age and after seeing some of their inflated prices, I would not put it past them. I've bought from many other online stores where items were not in stock even though they were listed as in stock on the website and the callback's and professionalism I received were beyond expectation.

maybe postings like this will move them to do better. you are right that customer service is all important/ after all everyone is selling the same products.what has been you experience with some of the other internet sites for purchase?

Honestly, all the other sites I have used have been nothing but helpful. They would call me back right away if I asked for something unique, or if there was a problem with the order they would call me alerting me to the problem and make every effort to fix it. Another problem I had with IW was I made an order and it turns out one of the bottles was not in stock, but they shipped the order anyways w/o alerting me. On their site it was listed as in stock. Had I known it was not in stock (duh, why not call the customer before shipping), I would have told them to just wait and ship once the bottle is in stock, that way I can save on shipping. Now I was stuck paying alot for shipping and still would have to reorder the missing bottle again paying ALOT for shipping. After problems like this it just seems that they are concerned about nothing more than collecting the $$$ now and not their customers.

I assume that your question is directed to all of us.

I have had limited experience with Sam's (three or four orders) and Binny's (one order), both of which are brick-and-mortar stores as well as internet sellers. In each case, they had what I ordered, they packed it well, they shipped it promptly, and it arrived undamaged.

My original reason for resorting to email-order was to obtain bottlings that I haven't found in the L.A. area. (Some of them may be out there, but liqour stores with a reasonable selection of bourbon are few and very far between.) However, as someone else stated, on orders of several bottles the shipping equals about what I save by forgetting to pay the Use Tax. Furthermore, sometimes there are sale prices that make it worth placing even a smaller order. (I bought Baker's from Binny's a while back. IIRC, the price was under $25. Of course, I ordered three other bottlings, just to keep the box balanced. grin.gif )

I have learned the hard way that Sam's has what I presume is an annual sale in February. As [bad] luck would have it, I placed an order in January, only to learn days later of the February sale. Four of the six bottlings I had ordered were included in the February sale. To my amazement the Hirsch 16 that I think I paid $67 for was on sale for $53 or thereabouts.

Of course, the sale may not be repeated next year, and there's no telling which bottlings will be included. Nevertheless, I will plan to avoid any major purchases of bourbon next January.

BTW, I learned of the sale here at StraightBourbon.com. Even though I am on Sam's mailing list, the catalog didn't arrive until March. When I emailed them to suggest that they were wasting money sending out the catalog, I received a vaguely huffy reply, saying they had also sent me an email, so I had no reason to complain.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.