Three of a Perfect Pair!

Guest **DONOTDELETE**
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

I'm smokin' an Ashton 9-8-9 and enjoying a nice 'Pure Glass" of 20 year old "Pappy Van Winkel". This is a match made in Heaven. The Ashton is very well constructed and wrapped flawlessly in a shade grown natual wrapper. It burned evanly and tasted like roasted nuts and smelled like old Confederate money in a leather covered stage trunk. Sound "Boots ' N' Saddles!" The 20 year old Pappy was the perfect bourbon. Nutty smooth tobacco tones with an easy creamy finish. Too Good! This is the only wheater that I truely love save The Fox. Buy it; Drink it; Love it! And smoke a sublime Ashton 9-8-9! grin.gif - Linn

Sounds great Linn. I will head to Schwab's after work today and pick up a couple. I don't have the Pappy, so I will have to try it with some ORVW 10yo 107. What size is a 9-8-9?

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Jeff, the Ashton 9-8-9 is a little larger than a Churchill and a tad smaller than a double corona. Monarch size - with flavor by the bootfull! - Linn

Yes, Ashton 898, indeed yummy! smile.gif Although, I get more of subtle carpet bag, than covered stage trunk! grin.gif See ya, H'wood cool.gif

Jeff, Actually its an 8-9-8....It is similar to a Churchill in size. The 8-9-8 refers to how this particular smoke is packaged in its box. Threes rows...one of 8, one 9, one 8....for a total of 25! grin.gif See ya, H'wood cool.gif

Yeah, I went to Liquor barn tonight and they had the 8-9-8's. I instead opted for a couple of the Ashton Corona's, as I like this size better in general. I wanted to try one tonight, but since I have been banished to the back deck, and it is sporatically raining, I opted for an Arturo Fuente Petite Corona as a quick smoke tonight. Went quite well with my new bottle of Old Fitz BIB.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if it is because I have been smoking the Hemmingways lately, but I had an Ashton Corona tonight and I was decidedly unimpressed. Even burn but a tight draw with a musty taste. I guess I could compare it to the "carpetbag" reference that Hollywood made. Went out several times toward the end. I was, however smoking it with a Cabernet and not a bourbon, so I might try again at some point.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.