Henry Clay

Nokia
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I have two bottles of bourbon that I know very little about, other than that they were put out by United Distillers in 1996 under as the "Rare Bourbon" collection. One is called Henry Clay, aged 16 years and distilled in 1980 @ 45.3%abv. The other is Joseph Finch, aged 15 years and distilled in 1981 @ 43.4%abv.

There is a brief mention of them in one of Jim Murray's books as having been distilled at the now defunct, Astor Distillery. Does anyone have tasting notes on either of these or any additional information?

I can not find any other references other than the Murray book which is from 1997 and only mentions the Henry Clay bottling.

post-263-14489811169203_thumb.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Tonight I am a happy camper. With incredible luck (and persistence cool.gif) I located a solo bottle of Henry Clay in the great state of Texas, convinced the owner to sell it to me at a fair price, and this very day it has arrived.

The only negative in this story is that there was only one to be had; there weren't any others to share frown.gif .

The Clay was sitting on the desk of the manager of a major spirits outfit that had just acquired the inventory of a mom and pop shop. My salesman saw it, asked the boss, and today--much to my good pleasure--Henry Clay resides in the bunker!!! laugh.gif

I plan on savoring the harvest for a while, before sampling the fruit.

• 1 year later...

Just acquired a bottle each of Henry Clay and Joseph Finch from a mom and pop store. I had given these up for dead several years ago, but I guess it still pays to make the occasional pit stop in these out of the way places.

schlep

My last trip to Texas, at Thanksgiving, I found a bottle of Finch in a Ma & Pa shop. Saving it for the gazebo.

toast.gif

Well, I make an occasional find here and there, too, but I still can't help feeling that twinge of regret that someone else got to something like Clay or Finch before me.

Great get, Schlep! smile.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.