Jefferson's Rye

dbk
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Well, if anyone in DFW is interested, Goody Goody should be getting this soon. Apparently Glazer's wanted to move it out of the market entirely :lol: silly distributors

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got my bottle yesterday. Definitely echoes Whistlepig... But at 1/2 the price an incredible value!

• 2 weeks later...

Had this twice over the weekend, so i'm going to throw my thoughts in to the mix.

First thought, cork on extremely well, thought I was going to pull the wood cap off and the cork was going to be stuck.

Huge aromatic nose. after pouring I'll usually let the glass sit for 5-10 minutes on a table next to where I'm sitting, before taking the first sip. some just sit there and be quiet, this one puts out such a smell, and a good one, to let you know it's here and ready.

In tasting, sweet up front, one my favorite first tastes sensations that not all bourbons have, and this one needs it. And a pleasant lingering finish, not stellar, but decent.

I'm having trouble with the middle. it really does seem rather one dimensional and others have said. And I just yet can't put my finger one what I'm getting out of it quite yet. It's a mix right now of a somewhat "off" tastse, and yet pleasantly different? It's really confusing at this point to the taste buds.

As I'm drinking i was wishing that I had a Bulleit Rye open to compare, I think I'm going to need to open the one in the bunker for direct comparison soon! Going from memory, i really liked the Bulleit, thought it was well balanced in all areas, and something that I could drink daily.

But I just don't get that from this.......and it's only a 5% difference in the mash bill? Granted, it's got the advanced age on it compared to Bulleit, but man, what a difference.

Right now, any plans that I had to pick up more are absolutely on hold until I settle this out. I was excited to see it in, but this has been tempered now with the first tasting.

Last thoughts????

I think it is one of those things that you do need to at least try, if more for "educational" purposes to complete ones learning of the taste spectrum of the impact of mash bill, and age. Coming back to it over the next week I hope to get more out of it than what I got in these firs two brief encounters.

B

• 3 weeks later...

I, too, think it's just okay. I'm glad I picked up a couple of bottles, and I'll continue to explore it, but I'm not sure I'll enjoy it much more.

I guess, at the end of the day, the Canadian's just aren't as good as Hoosiers when it comes to making Straight Rye.:lol:

When I first tried Whistlepig, I thought, "What's the big deal?"

• 2 weeks later...

Tried this at a Jefferson's tasting event at Party Source. Really enjoyed it. It might have been my second favorite overall behind the Jefferson's 18 bottles.

• 3 months later...

I did a side by side tonight of the Whistlepig vs Jeffersons and thought I'd share.

Whistlepig Straight Rye, 10yr 100 Proof

Color: Amber

Nose: Subtle spices including pepper and cloves. Amazingly for 100% rye, the rye does not dominate the nose like LDI rye. It's soft and subtle. Mild oak in the background.

Taste: A very creamy and soft entry that crescendos into a spice bomb. The rye makes an appearance followed by light cinnamon and nutmeg. A bit of cracked pepper in the middle. Excellent structure and a beautiful transition from start to finish. Like a spicy hill that starts off soft, grows to bold levels, and then trails off towards the end. Very nice.

Finish: The spices linger on the palate. More cloves and a hint of ginger as the spices fade. A moderate finish on the length.

Rating: This is an excellent rye and one of my favorites. Everything is in balance with excellent structure. The spices all play well together with none dominating the palate. I give this one a 94.

Jefferson's Straight Rye, 10yr 94 Proof

Color: Light amber.

Nose: Quite similar o the Whistlepig. Subtle spices including cloves, pepper, and cinnamon. There's an initial unpleasant nail polish note that fades with a little time in the glass. A little hint of roasted peanuts.

Taste: Loads of spice up front. Cloves tend to dominate the palate initially with nutmeg and cinnamon quickly catching up. There is a mild astringent note midway through that I can't place. Somewhat bitter but fades on exit. A similar transition to the Whistlepig but the spicy notes are more forward on this one. Surprisingly, it drinks a little hotter than the Whistlepig. Subtle wood, oaky notes on exit.

Finish: Spicy and peppery with a medium-long finish. More clove notes. Mildly drying.

Rating: This is a very nice pour. It has a very similar profile to the Whistlepig but has a few flaws, and as a result, the score gets marked down a few. I'm giving this one an 88.

Conclusion: In my opinion, this is not the same juice. Very similar flavor profiles but there are some giant red flags in the Jefferson's pour. The entry on the Whistlepig is SO much creamier than the Jefferson's. Similar spicy notes....but the Jefferson's just doesn't quite measure up. In the end, I'm reaching for the Whistlepig.

Thanks Brent for the sample!

post-6524-144898176799_thumb.jpg

Thank you for sharing.

What is the price difference between the two and does that have any effect on your outcome?

• 4 months later...

bought a bottle of this for 25.00 in Ky. this past weekend. Not bad for a 10yr. old rye!

thomas

• 11 months later...

I picked this up to today and was very pleased with it. The two dominant themes were the (1) classic minty, prickly rye studded with cinnamon that I sort of associate with the LDI ryes, and (2) a kind creamy vanilla, withy maybe a little cherry.

I had a pour of VW Rye right after and the former held its own.

I think it's a good value at $36+ here in NYC, let alone for $25.

• 3 weeks later...

Fwiw I met raj bhakta (owner of whistle pig) and lets just say that according to my sources whistle pig, mastersons and Jefferson's rye are all from Alberta. The subtle differences are a result of what happens to the aged juice once it leaves the distillery. For example thewhistlepig is rebarreled in new charred oak barrels for up to 2 years according to mr bhakta. I haven been on the whistle pig train due to QPR reasons and I also think the label and marketing story, although genius, tells a lie. In person, I will admit that mr bhakta was more than forthcoming about what he is doing/selling. Fwiw

• 2 months later...

Interesting..

P&MLiquorsEric posted this new Jefferson's flyer in another thread. It shows the rye as being 95%, which means they're probably transitioning to MGP/LDI.

This would lend some insight as to why the Canada mention was removed from the labeling.

post-7933-14489819490621_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the information. It's too bad, it was starting to grow on me too. At least it appears that it will still be 10 y/o. Not a lot of MGPI rye out there with that kind of age on it.

It is a good rye. I like it as it is now. Glad I have a couple stashed away. Damn LDI is everywhere.

Interesting..

P&MLiquorsEric posted this new Jefferson's flyer in another thread. It shows the rye as being 95%, which means they're probably transitioning to MGP/LDI.

This would lend some insight as to why the Canada mention was removed from the labeling.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16118[/ATTACH]

The other apparent revelation is that there has been or will be a 21yo mystery rye available. That was what originally showed up in prototype bottle picture in a post here sometime back and then we got the mystery 21yo bourbon instead. I still see the 21yo bourbon on the shelf for about $130 but can't bring myself to bite.

Don't suppose anybody has any insight on the source of the 21yo mystery rye? Is it out yet? Any clue where it is from?

Edited by tanstaafl2

Also wonder if this means more Ocean is coming. Or is it just advertising what was and not what is still to come (or come again)? I had read somewhere about the Collaboration bottle but have never seen it. Has it been released too?

(Looks like Eric answered my question in another thread!)

Edited by tanstaafl2

• 3 weeks later...

I held a rye tasting for some friends during our annual Summer trip to Cumberland Falls State Park in Kentucky. WTR 101, Ritt BIB, Baby Saz, Saz 18, Jefferson's 10, Ri1, Angel's Envy Rye, and Willett 4yr 110pr. The finishing on the AE helped it to be the favorite, as the group consisted of mostly whiskey newbs, and the sweetness hit the spot well for them. But, from just the plain ryes, the Jefferson's 10 was the clear favorite of the group.

Canada makes some good Rye, no question about it. I'm not surprised those new to Straight whisky prefer the lighter Canadian style.

Canada makes some good Rye, no question about it. I'm not surprised those new to Straight whisky prefer the lighter Canadian style.

Not to be confused with extremely complex and flavorful. Though, the Jefferson's did not have that pungent punch in the nose rye bite like say the Turkey, it was every bit as complex and distinctive as the Baby Saz--which is my Gold Standard when visiting affordable, every-day ryes. There is a whole lot going on in the Jefferson's. Put it this way; I would say that the Jefferson's (Canadian rye, if you will) was much closer to American ryes, than Canadian whiskey is to Bourbon whiskey in the qualities that we judge in them. I think that sentence makes sense...:crazy:

Perfect sense and yes, we are getting more complex, flavorful, unsweetened Canadians now which is a good trend.

• 3 weeks later...

Mixed feelings about the Jeff 10 moving to LDI, though I can't say I'd not be interested to try the LDI at 10 years. Anyone know when to expect this in stores?

Sipping some now. Maybe it's me, but I think I enjoy the RittenhouseBIB or the Willett 4 yr more?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.