I found me some yum yum!!

ViperGlock
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I think it means that in 8 minutes you have completely FUBAR'd this entire thread. :D Yes,it should be in the Rye area. And, no, you shouldn't refer to it as "Lot B". That designation, should be reserved for the 12 year Van Winkle Bourbon--Lot B. No need to further confuse us, as we easily get distracted, here. ;) BTW, the B series of the VWFRR is the most recent release. However, you nailed your intro. You did find some yum yum. Enjoy!

I think it means that in 8 minutes you have completely FUBAR'd this entire thread. :D Yes,it should be in the Rye area. And, no, you shouldn't refer to it as "Lot B". That designation, should be reserved for the 12 year Van Winkle Bourbon--Lot B. No need to further confuse us, as we easily get distracted, here. ;) BTW, the B series of the VWFRR is the most recent release. However, you nailed your intro. You did find some yum yum. Enjoy!

It says Old Rip Van Winkle Distillery - Frankfort, Kentucky. Where would the first "B" be make from? :skep: Van Winkle did not join BT until 2002. So how can this be the most recent release. I'm new and trying to learn...

It says Old Rip Van Winkle Distillery - Frankfort, Kentucky. Where would the first "B" be make from? :skep: Van Winkle did not join BT until 2002. So how can this be the most recent release. I'm new and trying to learn...

They started over with the letters. There's a chart around here somewheres...but I'm too lazy to find it.

Check these threads: http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11744

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2627&page=6

For some reason, they started the letter sequence over again last year with (A). Went to (B) this year. Somewhere here, When JVWIII was asked about it, I believe he replied that he didn't know why they started over. :crazy:

Sorry, forgot the rest of your question. The first B was all Medley-made rye, iirc. The current is that mixed with Cream of Kentucky Rye, made at the Bernheim plant in Louisville.

Doesn't matter - there's not a bad bottle of this. It's all the nectar of the gods, easily a Top 5 pour for 99% of the people who have tried it - for any batch!

Drink it.

Good score, whether it's "old B" or "new B." You'll love it just the same.

Tru Dat.

Doesn't matter - there's not a bad bottle of this. It's all the nectar of the gods, easily a Top 5 pour for 99% of the people who have tried it - for any batch!

Drink it.

I hate to be the contrarian, but it appears someone has to, yes current B is good, but NO it ain't the same as previous B. Previous B, which I think would have been bottled in Lawrenceburg, was all Medley Rye before the CoK Bernheim Rye was vatted with it, and tanked, and IMHO better.

Yes the current stuff is wonderful, just not as wonderful as the previous.

I just tracked down 3 bottles in NY and my friend picked them up. I should be coming away with 2 of them for myself so I'm pretty excited as well as I have never actually owned a bottle of it before. I tried it and it was really amazing so I'm glad I can finally add a couple bottles to the bunker.

I will not pass judgment until I have a few more pours over different day’s time, but I must say so far I don’t care much for VAN WINKLE 13 YEAR OLD RYE. It’s the first Van Winkle product I’ve tasted also. I have not cracked open the Pappy yet…I have 12, 15, 20, and 23. I hope they are better.

Maybe I just don’t like rye…I know a hate rye bread.:skep:

Well it does matter to me because I'm a collector as well as an enthusiast who enjoys drinking.

The label was changed to a self stick type in the last couple of years so that is an indicator of the relative age.

I will try to remember to compare my original A at home to the more recent bottle and let you know the difference. IIRC, the new labels have a different part number and sit lower on the bottle.

I will not pass judgment until I have a few more pours over different day’s time, but I must say so far I don’t care much for VAN WINKLE 13 YEAR OLD RYE. It’s the first Van Winkle product I’ve tasted also. I have not cracked open the Pappy yet…I have 12, 15, 20, and 23. I hope they are better.

Maybe I just don’t like rye…I know a hate rye bread.:skep:

Have you tried much rye, or bourbon, that is over 15 yrs old?

I find the rye to be one of the best of the VW line.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.