BOTM 5/11: Four Roses Yellow Label

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Wasn't there a label change to a black label? Did I dream that?

i must have. Was there a label change?

No label change. The black label is for Japan.

It's $17 to $18 in Ohio; a buck more than WT80.

At WhiskyFest, the Four Roses table would clean out your glass with Yellow Label before pouring Small Batch or Single Barrel. It was an impressive way to get rid of the peat.

Actually, they sell both yellow label and black label here (Japan). Yellow label is cheap, sometimes about $13 at this exchange rate. I bought a bottle once a few years ago (about $9 at the time), and I found it sweet and fruity, but too much so and too light at the same time. Most of all it seemed oily, cloying. I was drinking mostly Early Times KSBW at the time and only bought it because it was cheap and they were giving away a free glass or something. I went straight back to ET. Never tried another Four Roses product- but I think about it from time to time - like when Oscar or Josh start waxing about Four Roses premium products.

The black label says "rare old" on the label. It's also 80 proof. :rolleyes: Their propaganda says its fruity like the yellow label, but "richer". I wouldn't know...but it better be, because it sells for about $30 at the current exchange rate.

Sorry you didn't like the yellow label, Ed. I know this is wrong, but a part of me is glad that we've reached the point where the U.S. has the same or better selection of Four Roses products than Japan!

Has anyone been able to find this in stock in a NoVA VABC? It's on their standard stock price list, but my store doesn't keep it stocked and has to order it. Unfortunately, the stores around my area (culpeper/warrenton) are notorious for taking months to years to get in a special order.

...I got about 4 cases of 750s for $5 a bottle and 5 cases of 1.75s for $20 a bottle.

Care to share the love? I can't hardly find it here in VA.

Has anyone been able to find this in stock in a NoVA VABC? It's on their standard stock price list, but my store doesn't keep it stocked and has to order it. Unfortunately, the stores around my area (culpeper/warrenton) are notorious for taking months to years to get in a special order.

Yeah, it seems that it either sells really fast or isn't regular stock up around here.

I've always passed this up, probably because the 80 proof and not knowing the age. Figured it wasn't very good. I may have to pick it up anyway sometime. I'm done with high end stuff for awhile. Been discovering some solid cheaper pours.

Care to share the love? I can't hardly find it here in VA.

Make a pilgrimage across the border to MD. It's pretty common here now.

FR Yellow is my favorite < $20 bourbon. The floral notes on the nose combined with the bit of spice and sweetness on the finish are a great combination.

Yes, it might be a bit light or a bit sweet for some people, but for me on some days it just hits the spot. I don't ever say, "not bad for an 80 proofer" when driinking this bourbon, I just say yummm.

Just cracked open the bottle that I picked up today because of this thread. I tasted this at the distillery but, my palette was blown by the seemingly hundreds of bourbons that I tasted over those few days.

I have to say that this is very tasty and it reminds of why I have been a big fan of Four Roses for quite some time....it's nice to know that I don't have to spend 30-40 bucks to enjoy a great pour of Four Roses.

Four Roses Yellow is a bourbon that I pour frequently so I try to have some in the bunker. Like some of you I cannot get this in southeast New Mexico so I have to order it and pay shipping. I'm going up to Minnesota next week and it's sold there. I will stock on all the Four Roses expressions I can fit in my trunk along with some other brand I can't get.:slappin:

I've been meaning to have a pour of this ever since it became the BOTM. I finally had a pour the other day, and I do find this to be a good basic bourbon. I like drinking this over ice, and am sure it will be a good summertime pour for me. I've enjoyed reading a lot of the comments on here, and it is a good choice for the BOTM!

I'll join the ranks of the 4R lovers. and say this is great bourbon for the price. As Joe mentioned earlier, when PA had their sale he was nice enough to get me a case. As a summer time drink, try putting some chocolate mint leaves in a tea ball and soaking it in a cup of FRYL, then serve over ice. The only thing that rivals it fpr a cool summer time drink is a good pina colada or a shot of aged dark rum and cold coconut water.

I should have mentioned: I was touring the Cox Creek warehouses one day when they were pouring YL for export. It is shipped at cask strength and dilluted and bottled in Gernmany or Japan. I scrounged a tasste and it was as good as any FRSB I've had. As Rovert said I beg Jim to increase the strength every time I see him.

Hi all- this is my 1st BOTM- picked it up at my local BevMo for $18 + tax (which in california would buy you a bottle in another state ha ha :cool:). I'm still very new to bourbon, but am finding this okay. Good nose. I'm not sure if its because I was reading the other posts, but I wondering if I can tell its 80 proof..

I believe I'll pick up a bottle when I'm in CA next month.

I mean, it's not like I'd drive all that way just to save $4, but since I'm going to be there anyway...

I finally picked this up, and yes, Photodudems, I can get it in VA, at least in the Reston/Herndon area, for about $16... a rarity in this state to be a little cheaper than others. probably a sign they will not be carrying it soon. anyway, I like. a little more bite than the average 80 proof, good flavor and texture. cheap enough to offer to friends who want to mix. been drinking it tonight with one ice cube per about 4 oz pour, and in a Manhattan, which turned out nice as well. for the price, I'd have a hard time beating it; but I would pass over it for better, smoother, and more aged selections.

Ok, now that Ohio has this on the shelves, I picked up a bottle today.

I have to say that after years of Small Batch, Single Barrel and the occasional Mariage, I find this to be a very lackluster offering. I know... it's cheap, but I think there are better offerings out there for the same money. I find it to be bland... nothing really stands out.

I guess I'm dissapointed more than anything. Four Roses is one of my favorite bourbons... I guess my expectation was a little high?

Ok, now that Ohio has this on the shelves, I picked up a bottle today.

I have to say that after years of Small Batch, Single Barrel and the occasional Mariage, I find this to be a very lackluster offering. I know... it's cheap, but I think there are better offerings out there for the same money. I find it to be bland... nothing really stands out.

I guess I'm dissapointed more than anything. Four Roses is one of my favorite bourbons... I guess my expectation was a little high?

Finally putting my post in here, I got my Four Roses Yellow Label for $19.99+Tax, so it was middle-lower upper shelf pricing as far as bourbons go in my area.

I initially tasted it the other night, over an ice cube, paired it with a cigar (LFD Ligero). I found that the pairing of the two didn't enhance either very well, the cigar overpowered the bourbon in my opinion. The bourbon seemed to be very light, with some almost floral notes, it was very airy and lacked any sense of richness, just underwhelming in general.

Fast forward to tonight, I have revisited it, having this pour neat. Its not bad, but it is still somewhat lighter that what I am used to. On the nose I struggle to get through the present alcohol burn, if I try, I can pick up notes of butter, some caramel and even a slight citrus note underneath it all. Taste-wise its decent, its not rough on the palate, and on its own I can pick up a little more of its nuances, some more oak notes come through for me, and it begins to show some depth.

Overall, its not bad, if I could find it for under $20, I would reach for it again, but at its $20+ pricing in my area, I think I may look for another bourbon to try before I reach for the Four Roses Yellow again. That said, I am still intrigued by the Four Roses brand, I have been trying to find some of the Small Batch, or Single Barrel, but haven't had much luck.

P.S. This was my first BOTM 'tasting' here on SB, hopefully things went okay, I am looking forward to more BOTM's here in the upcoming months.

FR is definitely some of my favorite juice. Even the Yellow Label as a delicious flavor without feeling too weak

Ok now that I have drunk 1/3 of a jug I feel ready to weigh in.

FRYL is light and has that floral taste I get in all the FR products. Its easy to drink and a bit thin for my cask strength loving palate. That said I find it a good starter drink when I get home from work before eating anything.

After a meal or even a snack its delicate nature gets lost and becomes less enjoyable. I definitely like this Bourbon best on a fresh clean palate before eating any foods.

A good light after work before dinner Bourbon to get the pours flowing.

If I started my day with a light refreshing Bourbon this would be a great breakfast Bourbon! Since I don't I will have to call this a primer Bourbon that you can enjoy as a first pour to get your drink on with before moving on to something with more body and horsepower.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.