BOTM 5/11: Four Roses Yellow Label

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I don't know if I mentioned this upthread, but I think 4R makes a great Manhattan and a good Old Fashioned.

It also does very well in my favorite cocktail: Middle or quality lower shelf bourbon + 2 ice cubes +the right amount of bitters +1-2 dashes more. For the bitters I use either Angostura or Fee's oak-aged. Sometimes I even go a little nuts and use Peychaud's.

I revisited this bourbon last night. When I first tried it several years ago I was not very impressed and it sat toward the back of the cabinet. However, I enjoyed it last night as it has a bright nose and pronounced rye character. Not sure what changed in my opinion but as I enjoy the other 4 Roses products mabye it is just appreciation for the flavor profile.

I like the Four Roses line as well. I was out of the Yellow Label expression and picked up 6 bottles on my recent trip to Minnesota. I am set for the time being.

I revisited this bourbon last night. When I first tried it several years ago I was not very impressed and it sat toward the back of the cabinet. However, I enjoyed it last night as it has a bright nose and pronounced rye character. Not sure what changed in my opinion but as I enjoy the other 4 Roses products mabye it is just appreciation for the flavor profile.

My exact same experience. As a lover of FRSB, I thought I'd really apreciate the Yellow Label but couldn't find much to enjoy. Six months later and it's like a different bottle. Still not my bourbon of choice in the under $20 category but a good one nonetheless.

As always, missed the BOTM during its M. Joining the chorus who like it as a summertime sipper. FRYL is one of the few labels that I buy in multiples when on sale as a guilt-free go-to pour with ice or in cocktails.

I very much prefer the "blend" with its floral notes to the recipes in FRSmB, or the standard FR1B for that matter.

(Cracker, let me know if your CA plans fall through and I'll shoot you a Japanese 700ml bottle -- better price than OR even at a lousy exchange rate!)

I really enjoy the 4R Small Batch, am a big fan of the 4R SB, and covet my bottles of Mariage, but the Yellow Label has always left me shaking my head. Cracked a bottle of this last night, and have to say it still doesn't do much for me. I'm sure it has a lot to do with being 80 proof. Always leaves me wondering what it'd taste like at 86 or - even better - 90.

I'll always have a bottle behind the bar, but it'll never make my 'go to' list. I do see the weakness (literally and figuratively) of this Bourbon as a big detriment to the brand. There's a lot of justifiable hype about 4R, and this buzz will cause a lot of whiskey drinkers to buy a bottle (or glass) of Yellow Label...and might just lead them to that there's more sizzle than steak to the entire 4R portfolio.

Four Roses Yellow Label serves as an 'introduction' to this wonderful distillery...and, IMHO it's not a good introduction. That old saying that 'you only have one chance to make a first impression' holds true here.

• 2 weeks later...
I really enjoy the 4R Small Batch, am a big fan of the 4R SB, and covet my bottles of Mariage, but the Yellow Label has always left me shaking my head. Cracked a bottle of this last night, and have to say it still doesn't do much for me. I'm sure it has a lot to do with being 80 proof. Always leaves me wondering what it'd taste like at 86 or - even better - 90.

I'll always have a bottle behind the bar, but it'll never make my 'go to' list. I do see the weakness (literally and figuratively) of this Bourbon as a big detriment to the brand. There's a lot of justifiable hype about 4R, and this buzz will cause a lot of whiskey drinkers to buy a bottle (or glass) of Yellow Label...and might just lead them to that there's more sizzle than steak to the entire 4R portfolio.

Four Roses Yellow Label serves as an 'introduction' to this wonderful distillery...and, IMHO it's not a good introduction. That old saying that 'you only have one chance to make a first impression' holds true here.

I agree with your whole post... and especially the highlighted part. If I had tried the Yellow Label first, I don't think I would have spent more to try any of the others.

• 3 months later...

Okay. I WAS WRONG. Or I've changed my mind. Got a bottle on sale for ¥1080 [$13] (for office use :rolleyes:). One of the usuals showed up at quitting time, sniffing around, so I cracked it. My colleague thinks himself a SMSW drinker, so gave the :rolleyes: face when he saw it was bourbon. AND, as I've said, I had some about 6 years ago, and never felt the urge to try it again ... until now. It was tasty, much more flavorful than I remember, still light, but not bad at all for an 80 proofer. Even the SMSW drinker commented on how much he enjoyed the pour.

Just got in with two more bottles for home use. Again, a positive review from both me and my wife.

I was wrong, and I promise to stop dissing Four Roses products. Might even try ... small batch ... or something.

• 2 months later...

I'm a 4R fan, namely the Single Barrel. Hadn't tried the Yellow label in a long time. Just tonight I found it at Shop-N-Save for $11.98 a bottle, so I had to grab one. It's very light, easy to drink, but what really stands out is that it's distinctly that Four Roses flavor, it's right there. A decent cheap pour for sure.

I mean, $11.98... c'mon...

STLb

• 4 weeks later...
$17.95 in Va...... All the rest are $20+ if I recall... I would reach for the 4R before the JD, OF and JBB....as for the others I suppose it depends on the night.....

Just today, I picked up a bottle on sale in VA for $13. Stopped me from grabbing my usual EW BIB. I figure it would be nice to try one, and I don't think my party guests over the weekend will be into a 100proof bourbon like the EW.

Well, this was BOTM half a year before I found SB, but it's the bottle I just bought. I paid $19.99 in Boston, but then found it for $16.99 at Atlas in Medford, MA.

I found it not bad at all for a "regular priced" bourbon. Light bodied, not hugely flavored or sweet, and I wouldn't drop in more than one ice cube if I want to cool my drink.

I get the floral note and some vanilla, but not as much of the fruit. I'll probably keep this for summertime on the rocks, as right now Boston is getting its first real cold snap, and my taste tends toward stouter beers and heavier-bodied whiskey (including peated scotch, which I never drink in summertime)...

I started with the Yellow Label for the price (no budget for expensive bottles at the moment) and soon I plan to start working my way up through the 4R offerings...

Toured the distillery last week, and got to try all the 4R expressions.

I liked yellow more than small batch, and I like small batch. Either the bottle they have is really good, or the bottling has gotten better.

I do know there are whiskeys anywhere from 3 to 10 years old in it.

The tour guide also said they have a contract to supply Segrams with yellow label. She mentioned Crown Royal may be 40% YL.

Toured the distillery last week, and got to try all the 4R expressions.

I liked yellow more than small batch, and I like small batch. Either the bottle they have is really good, or the bottling has gotten better.

I do know there are whiskeys anywhere from 3 to 10 years old in it.

The tour guide also said they have a contract to supply Segrams with yellow label. She mentioned Crown Royal may be 40% YL.

She must have meant Diageo. Seagram no longer exists as a company.

• 5 months later...

After trying this in Louisville a couple of weeks ago and being impressed, I just cracked open a bottle of this last night. While the FR single barrel is now my favorite pour, I think I can say this about the yellow label....it may just be the best damn 80 proofer I've ever tried....much more richness and elegant spiciness than I've ever seen in an 80 proof whiskey. Two enthusiastic thumbs up!

I seem to be in the minority, but I just don't like the yellow label at all. Single barrel and small batch are great.

I seem to be in the minority, but I just don't like the yellow label at all. Single barrel and small batch are great.

I'm afraid I'm in the minority camp as well and that's coming from someone who couldn't love the other expressions more.

I'm afraid I'm in the minority camp as well and that's coming from someone who couldn't love the other expressions more.

Well maybe we won't get to a majority but maybe a minyan...as long as we're not drunk :grin:.

Well maybe we won't get to a majority but maybe a minyan...as long as we're not drunk :grin:.

:toast:

I also did not enjoy the bottle of Yellow Label that I had. Haven't tried any of the others, waiting to finish a few open bottles before I open the bottle of Single Barrel that I have.

My exact feelings as well. I've only had 1 bottle of yellow label (it's been open 6 months, unheard of in my house ) and it still sucks. There are several budget bourbons that I enjoy, never again with yellow label.

I will have to say that I have really enjoyed the yellow label I bought. For 80 proof it is pretty good.

Best regards, Tony

I agree and it's price point is unbeatable IMO for the value. Beam White label and WT 80 go for about the same price in our market but I'd rate Four Roses much higher than those. It's not a great bourbon as such perhaps, but it's a fine bourbon at its price point. I agree with those who have asked for a 100 proof version, that should be excellent.

Gary

My favorite 'cheap' bourbon bar none. I really like it with a few ice cubes in the heat of summer. Very tasty and much more complex than one would think for this price point and proof.

I'll keep a candle lit for the 100pf version but know better than to hold my breath.

My favorite 'cheap' bourbon bar none. I really like it with a few ice cubes in the heat of summer. Very tasty and much more complex than one would think for this price point and proof.

I'll keep a candle lit for the 100pf version but know better than to hold my breath.

Is 90pf maybe more realistic to hope for, or is it really pretty unlikely that it will change at all? (informed answers or educated guesses welcome)

*Because I think that would also significantly improve an already solid offering.

• 1 month later...

This is one of the few readily available bourbons here in the UK (although only available in one supermarket chain) and its my everyday bourbon, so much better than JB white or JD which are both sold at a £4-5 premium over this.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.