BOTM 5/11: Four Roses Yellow Label

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'll keep a candle lit for the 100pf version but know better than to hold my breath.

Is 90pf maybe more realistic to hope for, or is it really pretty unlikely that it will change at all?

Jim Rutledge has been lobbying Kirin to up the proof to 90 or at least 86.

Bars tend to stock 80 proofers over higher proofs for both profit and not to get the customers to intoxicated.

I really enjoy the yellow label. For what it is, and where it sits in the range of bourbons available to us, it is heads and shoulders above the crowd. It can usually be had for $20, and satisfies both mixing and straight niches well. I like it better than the small batch personally.

Jim Rutledge has been lobbying Kirin to up the proof to 90 or at least 86.

Bars tend to stock 80 proofers over higher proofs for both profit and not to get the customers to intoxicated.

That's a good point, but outside of niche whiskey bars I've never seen FR Yellow in a bar. That should give them a little more wiggle room over other labels.

Edited by mosugoji64

I enjoy it quite a bit. Especially as a summer pour, same as most. My girlfriend however LOVES it. As long as I keep that around for her I can pretty well do what I please purchasing wise. :)

I'm enjoying a pour right now. 4R products just got a huge spike in price in the DC area ($40 for the SmB? WTF?!) so my wife and I picked up all of the standard expressions today at places yet untainted by the markup. It's the first time I've had this outside of the distillery. I find it pretty fruity and very much a typical 4R product. I think I like Bulleit a bit more, and around here, Bulleit's cheaper, but I'd drink this over most anything.

• 5 years later...

I just opened their entry level bourbon, substitute for the yellow label. The label is redesigned after their appointing of a new master distiller Brent Elliot. In general, I don't like the taste. The nose is half decent, but I assume there's a lot of rye in the mashbill which kills all the sweetness. Personnaly, I preffer Wild Turkey 81 as an entry level.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.