Sazerac Rye mashbill

Shell
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

That makes a lot of sense when you put it in that perspective. Thanks, Chuck.

I recall reading a thread on bourbonenthusiast where Mike Veach was talking about the early Van Winkle rye, which was at the time all drawn from Medley stock that he purchased from UDV/Diageo. After his initial success, he went back to them to get more and they had sold about half of what was left, so they offered him the CoK that the also held.

I wonder where the rest of that Medley ended up.

I'm just wondering when supply will ease. At this juncture this stuff is scarce enough that I have to start hunting for it. The last bottle I had I bought in Bardstown because I had not had any in a long time. My thinking for not buying more was that we were still waiting for the annual release of this and that I would snag some when that happens.

Well it appears that Ohio got barely a dribble this year so I guess I have to wait till next year and snag a bunch then. At least in state.

Supply of what? If you mean the very old stuff, we're unlikely to ever see that again. If you mean 4- to 6-year-old rye, there's plenty of it about, though perhaps not in Ohio. It takes control states a while to pick up on trends, like a decade.

Supply of what? If you mean the very old stuff, we're unlikely to ever see that again. If you mean 4- to 6-year-old rye, there's plenty of it about, though perhaps not in Ohio. It takes control states a while to pick up on trends, like a decade.

Our supply of Saz Jr. is pretty limited too. For most of the year it's easier to find Handy here than Saz. No joke.

Agree with you about the Saz Jr limitedness. Maybe see it once a year or so where I am, and geography also probably has something to do with it also.

Generally if i see it, I'll grab the bottle. Pleasantly surprised to find it in the boonies the other night. Now if only the misses will left me stop at a couple of more places on the way home. Had good luck this weekend........

B

Our supply of Saz Jr. is pretty limited too. For most of the year it's easier to find Handy here than Saz. No joke.

The Sazerac Jr. is still available around here but from what I'm hearing, perhaps I should pick up a few bottles now....

Here in MI, the supply (of Sazerac Rye with no age statement) is pretty much available only around Sept.-Nov. and Feb.-March. The retail stores call their favorite customers to let them know that when have a few bottles available. When I wrote to Sazerac, they replied that they "bottle Sazerac Rye only twice a year – typically around January and August" and "the popularity of Sazerac Rye has exploded the past few years and it is a challenge to ramp up production to meet demand since there is aging involved……we just can’t speed up the barrel aging process!".

In my region (Dallas/Ft Worth) and down through Houston, I've been told that Baby Saz is now officially an "allocated product" - meaning there are more orders than they can fill, and as such they parse it out.

Not nearly as rare as BTAC or Pappy stuff, but typically if you see it - and you enjoy it - you should buy it, because you could go several months without seeing it again (until/if production matches demand).

Rittenhouse BIB has been in the same boat for about 18+ months, too. Just such a small amount of Rye produced relative to Bourbon, that even a moderate bump in interest screws up the availability.

Ritt BIB & Saz are only available about 1/2 of the year. Some states don't even get Ritt BIB (Michigan...)

WTR 101 & JB Rye seem to always be available, but I've heard that WTR101 is hit or miss in some places... never had an issue myself (sometimes a store is out, but the one next door will usually have it).

In my region (Dallas/Ft Worth) and down through Houston, I've been told that Baby Saz is now officially an "allocated product" - meaning there are more orders than they can fill, and as such they parse it out.

Not nearly as rare as BTAC or Pappy stuff, but typically if you see it - and you enjoy it - you should buy it, because you could go several months without seeing it again (until/if production matches demand).

Rittenhouse BIB has been in the same boat for about 18+ months, too. Just such a small amount of Rye produced relative to Bourbon, that even a moderate bump in interest screws up the availability.

Ritt BIB & Saz are only available about 1/2 of the year. Some states don't even get Ritt BIB (Michigan...)

WTR 101 & JB Rye seem to always be available, but I've heard that WTR101 is hit or miss in some places... never had an issue myself (sometimes a store is out, but the one next door will usually have it).

I've been noticing occasional shortages on WTR101. I can live without Ritt and Saz, but I can't lose my supply of Turkey Rye!:smiley_acbt: Yeah, Josh, I said it!!:lol:

I've been noticing occasional shortages on WTR101. I can live without Ritt and Saz, but I can't lose my supply of Turkey Rye!:smiley_acbt: Yeah, Josh, I said it!!:lol:

WTR101 is a MUST have - no bunker is stocked without some! It's a great Rye... I just don't understand how some people seem to dislike it.:rolleyes:

I feel naked without it!

:hot:Burn Him!:hot:

I cannot and will not recant anything, since it is neither safe nor right to go against conscience. Here I stand. I can do no other. May God help me. Amen.

I cannot and will not recant anything, since it is neither safe nor right to go against conscience. Here I stand. I can do no other. May God help me. Amen.

That's interesting because that mashbill is almost the same as what HH is using for Rittenhouse/Pikesville and yet I find the "Baby" Sazerac to have a much stronger rye quality to it. The Rittenhouse and Pikesville, while certainly a rye whiskey, are mild, soft, and easy to sip. Almost bourbon-like. The "Baby" Sazerac I had was much drier, more bitter, and spicy. Everything a traditional rye should be..

There wasn't any one profile for rye whiskey and we believe the Western ryes were more bourbon-like while the Eastern ryes tended to be not straight whiskey at all but compound products most resembling present day blends.

I've told the story before about my father, who died last year at the age of 90. He recalled rye whiskey from the immediate post-war era, when he was in college, tasting like rye bread. So I went through the process of having him sample a full range of modern ryes. None of them tasted as he remembered, but he did really like the Van Winkle Rye and I made an effort to keep him supplied with it thereafter. When he passed, I inherited about half a bottle, which I subsequently enjoyed in his memory.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.