Help finding Pappy Van Winkle 20

Holderman
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I tried PVW 20 for the first time a few weeks ago. I loved it. I mentioned to my wife how much I liked it and that when looking online most places were out of stock and on backorder for 11 months. She is expecting and wanted to get me a present for when our first child will be born probably next week. She just told me today she has looked for it for weeks all throughout St. Louis and even called a ton of places in Kentucky. She is pregnant and crazy and hell bent on getting me this bottle. I almost feel bad that she is and did not ever expect she would be doing this. Now I feel bad and want to help her get this for me. LOL Any ideas?

Do some searching in threads about PVW20 (or 15 or 23) and you'll discover that finding a bottle is dependent upon several factors. In no particular order:

+ Knowing and having a good rapport with someone who owns a liquor store.

+ A willingness to drive to/call many, many liquor stores.

+ Proximity to major urban centers.

+ Luck/providence.

+ A willingness to "settle" for PVW15 (FWIW, many people feel that the 15 is better than the 20. I can't really say, as it's been a few years since I've had PVW20. In the fall I could have bought one or more PVW20's, but I chose to buy 4 bottles of PVW15 instead because they are close to half the price, and they are pretty similar).

+ A willingness to pay way more than retail on either eBay, or at a liquor store that has jacked the price to $120 or $150 or $200 or whatever.

I can link you to a website that has 15 for $99 and 20 for $199 if you really want it that bad. You can find it cheaper on ebay though. If you are in the St. Louis area they actually have a store in Fairview Heights, IL where you can pick them up from the store.

PM me if you want the link. I don't really want to link them here cause I don't really support them jacking the price up that high and I hope you don't buy from them but if you want it that bad let me know.

Otherwise the post above is really informative about what it takes to track down Pappy at reasonable prices.

Do some searching in threads about PVW20 (or 15 or 23) and you'll discover that finding a bottle is dependent upon several factors. In no particular order:

+ Knowing and having a good rapport with someone who owns a liquor store.

+ A willingness to drive to/call many, many liquor stores.

+ Proximity to major urban centers.

+ Luck/providence.

+ A willingness to "settle" for PVW15 (FWIW, many people feel that the 15 is better than the 20. I can't really say, as it's been a few years since I've had PVW20. In the fall I could have bought one or more PVW20's, but I chose to buy 4 bottles of PVW15 instead because they are close to half the price, and they are pretty similar).

+ A willingness to pay way more than retail on either eBay, or at a liquor store that has jacked the price to $120 or $150 or $200 or whatever.

Depending on what state you live in I know an online store that has Pappy 20 available for $110/bottle. One bottle limit. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

Where do you live? I passed on at least one of each last weekend in Indiana. The pricing was higher than what I normally pay here in DC, so I passed.

Pappy 20?

How many do you want?

Just let me know, they are all over the place up here in MI.

Pappy 20?

How many do you want?

Just let me know, they are all over the place up here in MI.

I was in the wrong stores then. :lol:

I just saw a bottle in NYC for 130, which... I did a double-take and thought about it, but finally could not justify, at least with my current financial situation

You must have been! SE Michigan is crawling with Pappy 20 & 23. State min: $110 & $215 respectively.

I checked out 5 stores in SE MI and while I saw Pappy 23 at a few of them, I didn't see any of the 20 (I asked about it as well). I found mine in Grand Rapids.

I suggest Holderman is really part of Van Winkle's underground marketing strategy to increase demand and drive up prices.

Only kidding...kinda

The last time I checked (after Christmas) Total Wine in SE Florida had all three expressions of Pappy Van Winkle (15,20,23 years old).

If you need anymo, let me kno.

Thanks for the offer. I have no intentions of opening my bottle just yet though, maybe in December when I graduate. And at $110 a bottle, not something I'm planning to start bunkering without tasting it first.

I just saw a bottle in NYC for 130, which... I did a double-take and thought about it, but finally could not justify, at least with my current financial situation

I have seen one bottle in my entire time here in DC at one place and it sits..

price tag is $210 :smiley_acbt:

Luckily I have some great connections that call me as soon as they get VW from RNDC. I've been lucky enough to scoop up quite a bit of this spring release. I have my eyes on the ORVW 23 decanter set right now.

Luckily I have some great connections that call me as soon as they get VW from RNDC. I've been lucky enough to scoop up quite a bit of this spring release. I have my eyes on the ORVW 23 decanter set right now.

Any inside scoop on the Dallas area, or are you Austin/Central TX specific? Would love any Dallas tips - or for that matter, Pappy 15 in Austin would be worth a road trip, I think...

If anyone in the Chicago area is looking for 20 send me a PM and I can point you towards a place. 1 per person @ $110. They have some 12yr as well I believe.

Any inside scoop on the Dallas area, or are you Austin/Central TX specific? Would love any Dallas tips - or for that matter, Pappy 15 in Austin would be worth a road trip, I think...

I have seen one bottle in my entire time here in DC at one place and it sits..

price tag is $210 :smiley_acbt:

Also, Holderman, just fyi.

I've been in contact with 2 stores that put people on the reserve list today and was given a list of which ones are available and it looks like St. Louis most likely did not receive any 20yr. They got the 10yr 90prf, 12, and 15 for sure and possibly some 23yr. The 15yr basically sold out instantly and as I missed it at one place that sold out in 15 mins or less and got nearly the last bottle at another 15 mins after they announced it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.