4R Rye

OscarV
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

A couple of weeks ago I asked Jim Rutledge if he would consider making a rye whiskey.

I have speculated that if he would that he should do the OBSK and kick up the rye to 60% that he would have a winner.

Also others have said that Mr Rutledge wasn't interested.

From the horse's mouth to me, "I have been telling Kirin that if we were to do a rye whiskey all we would have to do is the minimum amout of rye grain and the spicey yeast, therefore people would think it is loaded with rye,"

Maybe it's in the future.

I also told him they should call it Rutledge Rye From Four Roses.

He just laughed.

I also told him they should call it Rutledge Rye From Four Roses...

3R = Rutledge's Roses Rye ? I hope they make it.

3R = Rutledge's Roses Rye ? I hope they make it.

3R, good call, I like it.

They could make it very easily, and it would be spectacular, but the problem and expense would be in listing it, marketing it, and distracting resources away from what is still a growing brand with the products it has.

Stu as my witness (he served as delivery 'boy'), I presented Jim Rutledge a 'live sample' of a '40s-era blend of 4R 'straight rye whiskies' a few years ago -- so, I know he knows it's both possible and historical. Others here sampled it:

post-367-1448981730394_thumb.jpg

It was pretty darned good!

post-367-1448981730394_thumb.jpg

Reminds me of the sold-only-in-Japan Four Roses Black Label, but that's bourbon.

Glad to know Rutledge is thinking about it. Imagining a rye analog to the 4R single recipe single barrel bottlings / a rye equivalent to Mariage / LESB just about made my head explode. It's not like if they were to do a rye, they'd do just one, no?

Stu as my witness (he served as delivery 'boy'), I presented Jim Rutledge a 'live sample' of a '40s-era blend of 4R 'straight rye whiskies' a few years ago -- so, I know he knows it's both possible and historical. Others here sampled it:

[ATTACH]12227[/ATTACH]

It was pretty darned good!

Very cool, Tim. Very cool.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.