Fuente Cuban Corona and Old Grandad BIB

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Great combo! The Cuban Corona is a spicier and slightly more robust smoke from the Fuente House. This cigar is made in the "style" of a havanna cigar but of course it is from the DR. I picked out one with a shade-grown natural wrapper. Lots of nice black and green pepper notes with hints of hazelnuts and capers. Paired extremely well with the spicy high-ryed OGD BIB. If I had to pick a single cigar house from which to only smoke their cigars for the rest of my life, it would definitely be Fuente!

Jeff,

As a recovering nicotine addict ("Hi, I'm Dave, and I'm an addict. I've been clean 20 years, one month, and four days") I seldom read posts in the Smokes forum. However, any mention of OGD BIB is enough to get my attention.

Your description of a spicy cigar along with a spicy bourbon surprised me. I had always assumed that the most enjoyable combinations might be those that were more complementary (think sweet and sour pork, Brubeck and Desmond, bangers and mash, Flatt and Scruggs, etc.) rather than similar.

What are your thoughts along those lines? (I still plan to smoke one cigar someday; I'm just not sure when. If and when I do, you can bet I'll have a drink along with it. I'd hate to screw it up. grin.gif )

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Dave,

For me I need a cigar that can stand up to the bourbon that it is paired with. While I agree that opposites do attract, there is nothing more dissappointing than a cigar that gets overpowered by a bourbon, or vice versa. It has been my experience so far that you need a full-bodied cigar to pair with a full bodied bourbon.

BTW, Why is it that you avoid cigars? Proper cigar ettiquette demands that you not inhale the smoke. What is the harm, in your view, of enjoying the virtues of a cigar/bourbon pairing?

Jeff,

Your explanation makes perfect sense.

As to my smoking a cigar along with my bourbon, I know that I simply cannot control my consumption of tobacco. There is a high probability that if I smoked one cigar today, I would be back to smoking almost every waking minute within a month. Etiquette or not, I always sneaked little inhalations of cigar smoke, and most of the milder pipe tobaccos too, for that matter.

I have no doubt that there is still this nicotine-craving demon inside me that would arise with all its old strength if I were to awaken it. When I called myself an addict earlier, I was not joking or exaggerating one little bit.

Quitting smoking was the hardest thing I have ever done. I had dreams about smoking for years after I quit.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

If the cigar tastes good inhaled why not inhale it? That same ettiquete says only smoke half of a cigar but I will use a roach clip if it still tastes good to the cap....lol You wouldnt taste a glass of bourbon without swallowing nor would you only drink half of it.

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

I'm with you Steve. I like the second half of a cigar much better than the first with the final third being the best. I can't imaginge me not inhaleing at all. - Linn

You only taste a cigar in your mouth, everything past that detracts from the overall experience IMHO. I also have not heard the "only smoke half" ettiquette to which you refer. I usually smoke mine down to anout 3/4 to 1/2 inch if it is a fine smoke.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.