Walleye Rye

cas
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Appears that a few brewers see whiskey as a line extension.... New Holland does make decent beer so I look forward to a review of their rye..

Use it in place of Galliano and you've got a Harvey Walleyebanger.

I picked up a bottle each of their new Black Hatter and Oak-Aged Hatter beers this weekend, but haven't opened them yet. I may have to swing by a local outlet this week to check on the price of the rye. Some of their spirits have been pretty expensive.

Craig

A & L Wine Castle in Ann Arbor has their own selection of New Holland whiskies.

I saw that on the list the last time it was updated. They also have yet another malt whiskey coming out, malthouse. I've had the Double Down and the Zeppelin Bend and they are both good, although they took a while to grow on me.

Has anyone seen it on the shelf? Did they have the rye at A & L last time you were there Oscar?

I wasn't looking for any but Maher was trying hard to sell me on the stuff, the non-rye whiskey that is.

He said he wanted to do a private selection because he could price it below 30 bucks.

Anything above that he said it's hard to sell.

I wasn't looking for any but Maher was trying hard to sell me on the stuff, the non-rye whiskey that is.

He said he wanted to do a private selection because he could price it below 30 bucks.

Anything above that he said it's hard to sell.

Maybe I'll have to make a trip over there soon and pick some up.

If you do ask for Maher and tell him Oscar the Bud Man sent ya.

He'll treat you good anyway!:grin:

Well I picked up a bottle. At about $35 for 375 ml it's not cheap. I didn't mention Oscar - I was afraid of which way that might go...

Probably open it tomorrow and offer a report after I've sampled a glass.

Craig

If you do ask for Maher and tell him Oscar the Bud Man sent ya.

He'll treat you good anyway!:grin:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Will do!

Well I picked up a bottle. At about $35 for 375 ml it's not cheap. I didn't mention Oscar - I was afraid of which way that might go...

Probably open it tomorrow and offer a report after I've sampled a glass.

Craig

Did you get it at A & L?

Yes - I hadn't been there in a while and this was a good excuse to check things out.

Craig

Well I tried a glass last night, and it was not at all what I expected. The bottle says that it's aged in small barrels with a heavy char and the guy at A&L (I believe it was Maher) said it was aged 6 months. Up front it was extremely sweet, with a pleasant rye follow-up and a short clean finish. After a couple sips I realized it reminded me of Jack Daniels (but it doesn't smell like Jack), maybe the small barrel (whatever small means) with a heavy char is a lot like charcoal filtration? It's a fairly rich brown color, darker than I would expect from short aging.

Anyway, it's pleasant, but not overly complex. Expensive, but worth a try for something novel. I found it more interesting than say, Bernheim wheat, but I doubt at the price I will keep a bottle on the shelf. However, I will enjoy this one, and maybe share it with colleagues who are fish afficianados.

Craig

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.