Old fashioned with Woodford

Rman04
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I usually drink my Woodford neat but with this hot weather I was looking for a cocktail to drink it in. I am a new convert to the old fashioned and the Woodford goes great in it. I opted for a recipe with out all the fruit so here is how I've been making them.

1 small sugar cube

3 splashes of Angostura bitters on sugar cube

Splash of water

Muddle

Pour a nice amount of bourbon about

2 oz

Add 2 ice cubes and stir

And as of tonight a price of lemon peel is added at the end, it really brings the flavors out.

Anyone have any suggestions on making this better. Also, feel free to tell me this isn't right, I'm a big boy and can handle constructive criticism. Also, I'm aware that I know next to nothing of bar tending or cocktail making.

IMO there is no wrong way to make an Old Fashion if you like the end result in the glass. I like to muddle a slice of blood orange and a fresh bing cherry or two with the sugar and bitters. Also I top with a splash of club soda. I am not a fan of Woodford and like a bourbon with a bit more proof. OGD BIB, WT 101 and EW BIB all work well and each give a bit different twist to the end product.

I prefer to use a simple syrup instead of trying to get a sugar cube to dissolve in cold water.

Just heat equal parts sugar and water in a saucepan until all the sugar dissolves. Once cooled, I put it in a squeeze bottle and keep it in the fridge.

Good for use in a Tom Collins as well.

Oh yea, the Old Fashioned is my favorite whiskey cocktail by far!

Eric

That's pretty much how I make my old fashioned. The one variation I like to add, as compared to yours, is I muddle a cherry with the sugar and water. Typically I skip the lemon.

• 2 weeks later...

I like my old fashoineds a little fruity. I muddle an orange slice with a Luxardo cherry, bitters and a dash of sugar. I combine that with bourbon and ice in a shaker, give it a couple good shakes and pour the entire contents into my glass.

• 3 weeks later...

I was playing around making an Old Fashioned with BT White Dog and it turned out really good so I thought I would share:

1 teaspoon turbinado sugar

3 dashes orange bitters

1 ounce club soda

1 two inch strip orange zest

2 ounces White Dog

1 additional ounce club soda

Ice

Luxardo Cherry

Orange slice

Place the turbinado sugar in your glass with the bitters, 1 ounce of club soda and strip of orange zest. Muddle gently until the sugar is dissolved.

Add the White dog and stir (I used a spoon with a little bit of the Luxardo cherry syrup on it) Add ice and additional club soda if desired. Stir. Garnish with orange slice and cherry.

It is nice and refreshing during this heatwave.

I was playing around making an Old Fashioned with BT White Dog and it turned out really good so I thought I would share:

1 teaspoon turbinado sugar

3 dashes orange bitters

1 ounce club soda

1 two inch strip orange zest

2 ounces White Dog

1 additional ounce club soda

Ice

Luxardo Cherry

Orange slice

Place the turbinado sugar in your glass with the bitters, 1 ounce of club soda and strip of orange zest. Muddle gently until the sugar is dissolved.

Add the White dog and stir (I used a spoon with a little bit of the Luxardo cherry syrup on it) Add ice and additional club soda if desired. Stir. Garnish with orange slice and cherry.

It is nice and refreshing during this heatwave.

How did you come to choose turbinado sugar? It seems like it would take longer to disolve than other sugars. This does sound like a good cocktail though!

Added by edit:

Have you tried this with a bourbon instead of the White Dog?

How did you come to choose turbinado sugar? It seems like it would take longer to disolve than other sugars. This does sound like a good cocktail though!

Added by edit:

Have you tried this with a bourbon instead of the White Dog?

Jack, I just really like turbinado sugar. It adds a little depth. And yes, it does take some extra effort to get it to dissolve but the end results, to me anyway, justifies the extra effort.

I have made it with Bourbon (usually OWA) and it is really, really good. It is a tad on the sweet side, though. The orange bitters I have isn't nearly as herbal as regular Angostura bitters though it isn't bad with either...

I use turbinado sugar in cocktails all the time as well. It has a good molasses and maple flavor that really goes well with bourbon.

Slightly off-topic, but I made a wonderful Old Fashioned with Laird's BIB. I muddled about two packets of just good ol' plain, death white sugar with some local farmstand blackberries, a couple of fresh cherries, then added two finger's of Laird's and a handful of ice. Pretty sweet, but also pretty great.

• 4 months later...

I find with some whiskeys, using Fee Bros Old Fashion aromatic bitters is better. Especially with 1792 Ridgemont Reserve.

1 sugar cube

2-3 dashes old fashion aromatic bitters

splash of water

I muddle that together, then add 2oz or so of the bourbon, then twist some orange zest over it (or not). I don't like adding cherries or actual orange meat or soda water.

I find with some whiskeys, using Fee Bros Old Fashion aromatic bitters is better. Especially with 1792 Ridgemont Reserve.

1 sugar cube

2-3 dashes old fashion aromatic bitters

splash of water

I muddle that together, then add 2oz or so of the bourbon, then twist some orange zest over it (or not). I don't like adding cherries or actual orange meat or soda water.

• 1 month later...
all...

bow...

down..

McMillan is not just a bartender...

he is an institution.

Just made it his way- excellent.

This is the recipe I use as well. In addition to the Angostura bitters, I add two dashes of Peychaud's bitters as well. So good.

Also, I like using cherries like these rather than the neon red maraschinos. I've never used this brand specifically, but a local gourmet shop sells a homemade version that looks to be pretty much identical to these.

http://www.amazon.com/Luxardo-Gourmet-Maraschino-Cherries-360g/dp/B001CDOBCM

At about $2 an ounce, that seems pretty expensive! I make my own brandied cherries using a very simple recipe:

1. Put a bunch of fresh cherries (pitted or not) into a clean mason jar (don't stuff it).

2. Pour sugar over the cherries until the jar is almost half-full of sugar (you'll have to shake the jar while pouring in the sugar to fill in the spaces between cherries).

3. Fill the rest of the way with Kirschwasser (cherry brandy). I brought mine from Germany but you can buy it here in the States as well. By the way, make sure you leave a little bit of air at the top of the jar.

4. Seal up the jar and let it rest for about 8 weeks.

If it's not cherry season, you can use Dole frozen cherries as well. They thaw easily and quickly (about 30 minutes on a plate) and they taste pretty good. Not as good as the fresh cherries but close.

If you can't find Kirschwasser for a reasonable price, I did a jar with cognac... though I haven't tasted those yet. Also, Binny's in Chicago sells a version with grain neutral spirit, but the cherries themselves looked disgustingly neon red. Binny's sells some weird crap sometimes.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.