First bottling of Anchor's Old Potrero

eprater
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Does anyone out there know the story behind the first bottling of Anchor's Old Potrero single malt rye whiskey?

I know they had issues on labeling for California vs. the rest of the US, what they could call "whiskey", etc. etc.

A friend has a bottle from what he believes to be the first batch, and thinks this batch might have even been destroyed or at least never released.

Photo attached. Neck label reads "Batch 4RW-ARM-1A". Back label (hand lettered) is "#0956 out of a bottling of 1,448 - Barreled 12/9/94 - Bottled 1/18/96".

So - any idea if this is indeed the debut batch of Old Potrero, and if so, whether is was released labeled as such?

post-669-14489817424429_thumb.jpg

Do a search on the late great Fritz Maytag.

He is the original's original.

I would credit him with the first micro-beer and micro-whiskey.

Thanks for the replies so far. I'm pretty familiar with - and forever grateful for - Fritz' role in the craft distilling movement and last year's sale of the brewery and distillery.

I haven't found anything on the web about the first bottling of Old Potrero and any label issues that came from it - which might lead to know whether this is indeed the "lost" first bottling. There are a few allusions on this forum, but nothing definitive.

My friend's label (another photo attached) *does* have the "For sale in California only" statement that I thought came only on later bottlings, after the labeling issues were clarified. I think those problems had to do with the use of some new oak (uncharred), also with period of time aged (3 years required in some states, not in others). But this gets into Chuck's expertise.

post-669-14489817424707_thumb.jpg

You could call or email the distillery itself. I'd had some success in getting a response.

You could call or email the distillery itself. I'd had some success in getting a response.

i've never gotten a response from anchor in my past requests for info, but it's been a while, maybe they hired someone who will respond to customers.

i've never gotten a response from anchor in my past requests for info, but it's been a while, maybe they hired someone who will respond to customers.

With the new ownership, they may respond, but will they know the answer?:skep:

• 2 weeks later...

FYI, The brewery and distillery were sold to Tony Foglio, formerly of Skyy and an all around good guy. Tony also invested in Priess Imports, the guys who bring you A.H. Hirsch, Luxardo, Daroze Armagnacs, etc.

FYI, The brewery and distillery were sold to Tony Foglio, formerly of Skyy and an all around good guy. Tony also invested in Priess Imports, the guys who bring you A.H. Hirsch, Luxardo, Daroze Armagnacs, etc.

Priess Imports, who is known for "Priess Gouging":hot:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.