Ice Trays

SMOWK
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm looking for new ice trays. I like big cubed ice, but the silicone trays make your drink taste horrible. Other than the Makers Mark Ice Ball Maker, does anybody know of any quality ice trays that make big ice?

All I can find are el-cheapo plastic ones you can buy at any grocery store?

Ice is easy to carve if at right temp. So freeze a big ziploc bag or gallon container, then carve your own.

Get some Tupperware Popsicle makers and only fill them part way. You can have big chunks of ice however big you want them

Get some Tupperware Popsicle makers and only fill them part way. You can have big chunks of ice however big you want them

That's a good idea, but I really think I can taste the plastic. Especially in a glass of water.

I'm leaning towards the Onyx Stainless Steel ice trays: http://www.healthegoods.com/stainless-steel-ice-cube-tray-onyx.html#

Mini-muffin pans would probably work, too.

That's a great Idea.

My automatic ice maker hasn't been keeping up and I broke out the ice trays a few days before this thread apeared.

I ended up buying some vintage Frigidaire Quickube Ice Trays in perfect condition off of eBay. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Ice is easy to carve if at right temp. So freeze a big ziploc bag or gallon container, then carve your own.

What is the right temp?

The right temp is not directly out of the freezer. And what I mean by that is that you need to let it sit out and temper for a little bit before carving so it doesn't just shatter each time you try to chip or chisel it. You want the ice to shave rather than chip (except for when removing larger chunks)

A typical ice block used for ice sculpture is about 20" wide x 40" tall x 10" deep and weighs in at nearly 300 pounds. You usually let those sit for about 1 to 2 hours before carving. Of course, the smaller the block the less time it is going to take to temper. A good rule of thumb is to carve when the ice stops looking cloudy on the outside due to freezing condensation on the outside of the ice. Melting ice is easier to work with then stuff right out of the freezer.

What is the right temp?

I was curious about that too. Just noticed the response, thanks for clarifying!

I ended up purchasing some vintage aluminum Frigidaire Quickube double wide trays in new condition. It puts plastic and silicone ice trays to shame in every way. The ice from the aluminum trays is bigger, easier to get out, doesn't taste like plastic, and freezes very fast. I don't understand why the shift from metal to plastic, or better yet, why consumers adopted it.

Highly Recommended.

I purchased a couple of plastic trays off ebay that make 60 gun drop size/shape ice cubes:

Arrow Plastic 55 60 Cube Plastic Ice Tray

They are perfect for shot glasses to just cool a bit.

I fill them with distilled water and can use as many as I want.

post-5814-1448981746747_thumb.jpg

The right temp is not directly out of the freezer. And what I mean by that is that you need to let it sit out and temper for a little bit before carving so it doesn't just shatter each time you try to chip or chisel it. You want the ice to shave rather than chip (except for when removing larger chunks)

A typical ice block used for ice sculpture is about 20" wide x 40" tall x 10" deep and weighs in at nearly 300 pounds. You usually let those sit for about 1 to 2 hours before carving. Of course, the smaller the block the less time it is going to take to temper. A good rule of thumb is to carve when the ice stops looking cloudy on the outside due to freezing condensation on the outside of the ice. Melting ice is easier to work with then stuff right out of the freezer.

Thank you, Mike!

Ironically, today's Garden & Gun email (yes, a truly southern publication!:slappin:) has a feature on... Ice!

The Ice Rage - http://app.emailtransmit.com/util/view.php?a_i=11339290&ac_i=315&t=o&l_i=6604&t_i=74762 for the online version.

The rest of the article is below:

The Ice Rage

Southerners have always been picky about our ice, especially in our cocktails. We like large, slow-melting cubes in our whiskey. We crush ice to create frozen pillows for our juleps. And while we may not always be proud of it, from time to time we might even put one or two cubes in our white wine, you know, just to cool it down. Recently, it seems like the rest of the country is catching on, and frozen water is reaching a whole new level of artistry.

To ensure your home bar is up to snuff when it comes to the cold stuff, here are a few of our favorite ice tools. Say goodbye to watery cocktails.

Silicone Ice Ball Maker

The Japanese were the first to use round ice, which has maximum surface area for cooling. These extra large ice balls melt very slowly, so they won't dilute your drink.

$11.75; muji.us.com

Lewis Ice Bags

These canvas bags are bartender favorites for crushing ice because they wick away excess moisture that would otherwise end up in your cocktail.

$3.95; cocktailkingdom.com

Anvil Ice Pick

Use this to control the size and shape of your ice chips. Bonus: It looks awfully pretty displayed on your bar.

$50.95; cocktailkingdom.com

King Cubes Silicone Ice Trays

If you prefer a more traditional ice shape, try these perfectly edged, oversize cubes. They instantly up any drink’s presentation and dissolve slowly enough to preserve its integrity.

$14.95/set of two; williams-sonoma.com

I use a Klein Tools Canvas Bag to crush ice. As far as silicone ice trays goes...blech.

Ironically, today's Garden & Gun email (yes, a truly southern publication!:slappin:) has a feature on... Ice!

My favorite magazine....of the magazines that I get it is the one that I most look forward to. I just wish it wasn't every two months!

• 6 months later...

saw the pricey metal ice ball makers; I went for the silicone version from Amazon. Not clear, but round. It did break in half after about 15 minutes. used distilled water.

comes in a 4 pack.

glass is Spiegeleau whisky on the rocks

IMAG0463.jpg

IMAG0464.jpg

Silicone imparts a terrible flavor to the ice. Let one of those ice balls melt in a glass of water and then drink it.

• 2 months later...
Silicone imparts a terrible flavor to the ice. Let one of those ice balls melt in a glass of water and then drink it.

I've heard this complaint so many times, but either I can't smell/taste it or my trays are immune.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.