Masterson's Rye

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

$79 sounds like a sucker buy...aimed at those who purchase for appearance and bottle uniqueness. IF it tastes far superior to other ryes fine...but somehow I doubt most people will pop for it.

An entire page of reading that didn't tell you one damn thing about the whiskey but we know all about Bat Masterson.

Wonder why we are seeing som many Canadian ryes out of what I would guess is the same distillery, Alberta Distillers? Are they in financial trouble and are needing to sell stock off? Interesting.

It's not necessarily Alberta. Just because their output is 100% rye doesn't mean they're the only Canadian distillery that makes a 100% rye flavoring whiskey. On the other hand, Alberta is owned by Beam and Beam's focus now is on Canadian Club, which is made by Pernod but sold by Beam, so it's possible Beam is phasing out Alberta.

I don't know but I suspect Pernod, since I know they were the source for a lot of the whiskey High West and others have acquired.

It does seem odd that someone would have that much 10-year-old (or older) straight rye that they suddenly don't need.

Wonder why we are seeing som many Canadian ryes out of what I would guess is the same distillery, Alberta Distillers? Are they in financial trouble and are needing to sell stock off? Interesting.

• 2 months later...

Saw this in the store today and almost pulled the trigger on it.

I've had Jefferon's, and it didn't really do much for me. Tempted to pull it out of banishment from the cellar tonight and give it another go.

Read that it is better than Jeff, but not quite Whistlepig. And I do love other high rye bottles-Bulleit and Willett Rye-assuming the Willett is the LDI 95% rye mashblll-great pour.

Since this has been out a bit already, has anybody had a chance to try it??

B

Has anyone had Jefferson's and actually thought it stood up well to WhistlePig?

I was going to get a bottle at our Binny's Fling but got talked out of it and grabbed a WhistlePig (which I've had several times and love).

I'd love to try the Jefferson's sometime.

Josh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone had Jefferson's and actually thought it stood up well to WhistlePig?

My first taste of Jefferson's had me thinking it WAS WhistlePig at a lower proof. My second taste of Jefferson's convinced me I didn't need to pay twice as much for WP.

I still plan on doing a side by side (thanks to Brent) but haven't had any free time to do so!

Worked 12 hours today. :-( And I work 36 hours this weekend.

Hopefully next week I can squeeze a tasting in.

Josh

Mat, welcome back, seems like its been awhile since I've seen you around. Glad that you liked the Jeff, tried as I could, it just didn't do anything. It was very one dimensional to me. I need something more than that.

Josh, you are welcome. Folks have been good to me, and just repaying in kind.

Thinking of cracking open a Masterson's tonight. Keeping my fingers crossed on the flavor, hoping for a better turnout than the Jeff.

If not, might be a three way comparison..........:grin:

B

Mat, welcome back, seems like its been awhile since I've seen you around. Glad that you liked the Jeff, tried as I could, it just didn't do anything. It was very one dimensional to me. I need something more than that.

Josh, you are welcome. Folks have been good to me, and just repaying in kind.

Thinking of cracking open a Masterson's tonight. Keeping my fingers crossed on the flavor, hoping for a better turnout than the Jeff.

If not, might be a three way comparison..........:grin:

B

Haha!

Josh

• 4 months later...

Did a search for Masterson's and found this thread.

Well....any opinions yet for those who tried this?

Nice review sku. I read the comments at bottom...

Jason Beatty said...

For the price, I was expecting a lot more from this Masterson's whiskey. I sure hope Canadians can get this at $25 a bottle because that's the price point it is equivalent to.

Lol..if this is $65-$70 a bottle in USA, it would be $125-$150 up here in Canada.

• 5 months later...

Have tasted all three - WP, Jeff's and Masterson's - in one setting. Qualitatively, WP was the hands-down winner, with Jefferson's coming in second...and definitely the best buy of the three. Masterson's was a distant third.

Have tasted all three - WP, Jeff's and Masterson's - in one setting. Qualitatively, WP was the hands-down winner, with Jefferson's coming in second...and definitely the best buy of the three. Masterson's was a distant third.

Cosign.

~extra filler due to minimum character restriction, ignore~

Maybe it has been discussed somehwer on here, but I cannot find it. We knew the rye that is making up these bottlings was 100 percent rye. I think I was told it was raw rye with enzymes. But Raj posted on FB a video the other day about WP. He said in the video that WP is 100 percent rye malt. They shoed a close up of the label on a barrel. I could not beleive what the barrel proof was. I think I saw 155 proof.

I am very skeptical of the claim that WP is 100 percent rye malt. If it is, then it should be labeled as such, since such a type is anticipated in the TTB rules, and the rules say you should carry the designation that best applies.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.