Jack Daniel's Single Barrel

TBoner
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I have never bought JDSB; never tasted it, in fact. However, as I've lately begun tasting whiskeys again, and have renewed my love affair with Dickel, I thought I'd give "the other Tennessee whiskey" a try. I picked up a 2011 Ducks Unlimited bottle earlier this week. It was under $40, so why not.

These are the first tasting notes I've posted in some time, but I've been doing a lot of tasting and writing notes lately. Hopefully these aren't too far off the mark.

First, the bottle info: Rick No. R-16; Barrel No. 11-2663; Bottled 6-1-11.

I tasted this in a nice sherry copita glass.

Appearance: Orange blossom honey. Long, slender, slow-moving legs

Nose: Grilled sweet corn; buttercream frosting; maple-iced donut

Palate: Big entry full of fat corn notes, followed almost immediately by pecans, fruit, and maple in the middle - add some saged sausage and you've got breakfast. The fruit, btw, is not banana, but rather some citrus, a bit of peach or some other stone fruit, and maybe something tropical - pineapple? mango? Nice, full mouthfeel enhanced by a vanilla backbone that serves to underscore and meld the other assorted notes.

Finish: Long, deep, maple-rich with some light cinnamon and another dollop of vanilla cream. Maybe a touch of caramel.

This is some very good whiskey. I wish I'd tried it sooner. It won't replace my favorite pours, most of which are less expensive and not as sweet, but this is a great option when out, I think, and probably worth keeping around as an after-dinner dram. I like Dickel 12, and I think it's a better value, but I have only had one or two bottles of that whiskey than can compare to this. Really nice indeed.

I know Gary and a few others here are fans. Count me in that camp.

Best,

Tim

Good notes, Tim. That sounds similar to the memory I have of JDSB, of which I am a fan. But at $46 at my favorite store, I'll buy it only rarely. Not sure at what price point I would buy it more often. But when I can get great 12 year olds for less than $25 (Weller 12, EC12) or quality single barrels (ETL, EWSB) for about the same, $46 is tough to pay.

I usually have a hard time paying more than $35 for anything other than something extremely rare (BTAC, Van Winkle).

Thanks, guys. Glad to see my tasting skills aren't totally rusty.

Gary, thanks for beating the drum for this one for so long; I remember you praising it some years ago when no one else really talked about it. Glad I finally listened.

Best,

Tim

I'm a big fan of Dickel 12. That said... I really like the JDSB. I can get it for under $40.00 also. I agree with your tasting notes. I'm always dumbfounded by how nuch I like the JDSB , but I have no love at all for old #7.

JDSB is kinda growing on me a bit too. I bought a private bottling from 2001 a few weeks ago. I liked it well enough that I picked up a regular bottle yesterday. Like I posted in the 'What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today' thread, I couldn't pass it up. The sticker price was $25.99. :cool:

I agree with some of your tasting notes Tim. I also get the maple glazed doughnut and corn on the nose. The taste for me was a hint of maple and pecans, but instead of a fruit, I thought it was more like cotton candy or bubble gum. A pretty decent pour IMHO. My JD drinking bowling buddies will be surprised the next time they come over. :grin: Joe

Joe, it really has improved in recent years. Something has changed - for the better.

Gary

• 4 months later...

This is actually one of my favorite pours, of any spirit. I think your review is spot on, though I get more vanilla notes all the way through from nowe to finish. Which is perhaps why I like it so much; While not a big desserts fan, I am a fan of coffees and milkshakes and chai teas and maple donuts that harken to these dessert spice flavors. Thank you for sharing -I may get a bottle visit my local package store next. It's been too long.

• 3 weeks later...

I had my taste of JDSB the other night at the Jack Daniels bar at the American Airlines Center in Dallas before the Mav's game. Love a $13 drink in a plastic glass but what do you do?

• 1 month later...

Surprisingly this is the only BF whiskey that doesn't reek of bananas to me. Which means I can drink it.

I'm really glad this thread got bumped. A few of us Aussie members are off to meet 7th generation Master Distiller Jeff Arnett next week, and I've been tossing up between buying a Single Barrel or Gentleman Jack bottle to get signed on the day and then share with a few people.

Tim's review decided it.... Single Barrel it is! Thanks Tim!

Whatever you do, don't get GJ - pretty average whisky in my view.

• 10 months later...

Quick bump, especially for JDSB fans in Ontario (you know who you are). The LCBO has it on sale this month for $49. At that amount, it's almost on par with US prices, a deal unheard of in Ontario.

I've never even given it a second glance, but the markdown had me poking around in here for some reviews. Considering the generally positive things I've read here, I think I'll take advantage of the good deal.

I've never even given it a second glance, but the markdown had me poking around in here for some reviews. Considering the generally positive things I've read here, I think I'll take advantage of the good deal.

You too huh?

and to fill out the need extra characters ... the bottle is purdy too ...

Joe, it really has improved in recent years. Something has changed - for the better.

Gary

Absolutely, totally, 100% agree. It has gotten much better in the last year or two, specifically. I can pick JDSB up at costco now (hope it isn't seasonal) for about 36 per, which is pretty fair, so I keep some on hand.

I've noticed several of the liquor stores around here have specially selected bottles with a pewter tag around its neck. I wonder how specially selected or did they just get a bunch of pewter tags.

I've noticed several of the liquor stores around here have specially selected bottles with a pewter tag around its neck. I wonder how specially selected or did they just get a bunch of pewter tags.

I talked with the manager at Total Wine yesterday and she said JD brought managers from all the large liquor stores in town up there for a visit to pick out their barrels last fall. I guess it was a promotional thing. She even showed me the glass she used. They used to have two but someone "borrowed" one.

• 3 years later...

I really like the JDSB.  My store has it in the shooters, so I will periodically buy one, take it home and enjoy it on the rocks.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.