Stitzel-Weller to Reopen

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Wow, this is almost as much information as we got from the first post on the thread.:skep:

True... With the exception of Bulleit actually providing the information, which couls qualify it as "somebody from Diageo confirming it. "

None of this is a secret. Last year it looked like the public opening of the "Bulleit Experience at Stitzel-Weller Distillery" was imminent. Then, suddenly and without explanation, it was this vague thing that might happen sometime in the future. That's the storyline to date.

Two years? That's the same as saying "whenever."

My suspicion is that one of two things happened:

(1) They showed it to a few people, didn't like the feedback they received, and they're in the process of re-thinking it.

(2) Budget priorities changed and the project was put on hold.

• 2 months later...

Two weeks ago, I finally got to peak behind the curtain at Stitzel-Weller.

First surprise. There is a guard on the front gate again. In recent years, only the back gate has been used.

I was met by Tom Bulleit and Bobby Burke, who was described as the first tour guide. The focus of The Bulleit Experience at Stitzel-Weller is the old office building, whose design was based on Thomas Jefferson's home, Monticello. The effect of Southern gentility is enhanced by the large magnolia tree in front.

To the right, there is a small gazebo. To the left is the first row of black-painted, steel clad aging warehouses. On the long side of each warehouse there is a raised concrete walkway covered by a low roof, giving it the look of a covered front porch. Upright whiskey barrels and rocking chairs complete the effect.

It is possible, therefore, to walk along the long side of each warehouse, protected from the elements though still outside, and look into the open first floor windows, yet that's not part of the tour because of "insurance concerns."

Instead, details of the office building's architecture are pointed out. Don't get me wrong, I love that sort of thing. Inside there is a vestibule with some benches. The next door leads to a large room with exhibits that tell the history of the distillery and of the Bulleit brand, and of Kentucky whiskey-making in general. There are a couple of historic barrels and other artifacts drawn from the distillery's vast archives.

This central room has several doors. One leads to Tom Bulleit's office, which occupies a small portion of what was originally Pappy Van Winkle's vast office. It's a very handsome room.

Another door leads to another now-subdivided part of Pappy's old office, that is decorated like a library. This is where the tastings will take place. Then there's the gift shop. That's it.

I had a very nice time with Tom and Bobby. I was just meeting Bobby but I've known Tom for years and always enjoy his company. But as I told them, I think people will be disappointed if they can’t see a little more of the distillery, in particular the inside of a warehouse and at least an outside look at the old still house. If going inside isn't possible, at least a walk of the grounds pointing these things out.

I also don't know where people are going to park. They have maybe ten spaces in front of the office building and no place for buses. You wouldn't want to sully the grounds by laying more asphalt. These may be some of the reasons why the place isn't open to the public. Tom and Bobby said they don't know when it will open. It's not up to them. They did mention that recent road improvements now make it pretty easy to get there from Interstate 65. Right now, they just use it to host journalists and trade customers.

They'd love to be on the official Kentucky Bourbon Trail and it would love to have them.

As they also point out, Stitzel-Weller is an active maturation facility. As such, it is overseen by John Lunn, who is best known as Master Distiller at George Dickel. He is also Diageo's Southern Hub Director. The Southern Hub is comprised of the Dickel and Stitzel Weller sites. As Director, Lunn oversees the daily operations of the sites, and is responsible for production, quality and safety.

When I attended the open house we used the parking lot on the (north?) side of the office building. It easily accomodated the dozens of cars that were there that night.

I'm stumped...what is the baroque narrative interpretation behind the "Bulleit Experience At Stitzel Weller"? What does Tom Bulleit's imagined family legend and non-distiller producer whiskey have to do with SW?

Why don't they have a tie in with the actual Van Winkle whiskey (which is also a NDP) since it's Pappy's original office? Or do we not want to talk about Buffalo Trace since they're not part of the Bourbon Trail?

I'm stumped...what is the baroque narrative interpretation behind the "Bulleit Experience At Stitzel Weller"? What does Tom Bulleit's imagined family legend and non-distiller producer whiskey have to do with SW?

Why don't they have a tie in with the actual Van Winkle whiskey (which is also a NDP) since it's Pappy's original office? Or do we not want to talk about Buffalo Trace since they're not part of the Bourbon Trail?

Regardless of whether Buffalo Trace was on the Bourbon Trail or not, why would Diagio bother with a tie in with Sazerac?

They are interested in selling what they own now, not what a distillery that has been closed 20 years ago used to sell. Will they take advantage of telling people it WAS Poppy's office, sure... but only to lure them in to show and market what they are promoting now.

This isn't a foundation opening a museum for historical purposes, it is a pure marketing ploy to try and grab the interest and to sell to the half a million people that visit the trail each year (many if not most of whom hold Sweet in no higher regard than any other distillery ).

Like I commented on Chuck's blog: Having Bulleit occupy Stitzel-Weller is like having Ripple occupy Chateau Lafite. Nuff said.

Joe

Like I commented on Chuck's blog: Having Bulleit occupy Stitzel-Weller is like having Ripple occupy Chateau Lafite. Nuff said.

Joe

• 2 months later...

First, a big hello to all the folks I haven't talked to in ahhhwhile....hope all is well with everyone.

Joe

I couldn't agree more Joe. It's wrong on so many levels it makes my head spin.

But I suspect they are going to be turning their attention elsewhere in the next few months:

http://http://www.wdrb.com/story/19518733/liquor-company-cited-for-whiskey-fungus

Brenda....is that really you? Glad to see you snooping around here. I didn't make it to the Fest this year.

Back to the subject.....at least the building is getting used for something related to bourbon production. It could have been converted to yuppie condos.

Hey Randy! Yes, it's really me, and it's good to hear from you! Hope all is good in Texas. I walked around Spalding's lawn for a few mintues, for the first time in about 6 years. Would have loved to have hit the gazebo, but having to drive back to Louisville changes the game.

And back to Stitzel...The area around SW is decidely down-scale, and probably wouldn't support yuppie condos (unless the president offers a program to give them away). But, it very well could end up a WalMart and/or a Liquor Barn, etc.

I agree the buildings deserve to stay in the Bourbon industry somehow, their history is huge. Shoot, I'd love see them cooking again, but I realize that will never happen. Then neighbors would probably complain about the smell (smells like money to me). People are such whiney asses if something inconveniences them a little. The general public too often forgets all the things the Bourbon industry does for Louisville, and this state.

When I lived next-door to Barton I had to scrub this mold off my car every few days if I wanted a red car. All the neighbors just assumed I would sign their petition, and got really angry when I refused. I told them I was pretty sure the highway department used that black mold to pave our roads, but they didn't get the joke.

Hi, Brenda. Good to hear from you.

Stitzel-Weller (i.e., Diageo) fielded a team in the barrel rolling competition for the first time, so that's something.

Edited by cowdery

Hi, Brenda. Good to hear from you.

Stitzel-Weller (i.e., Diageo) fielded a team in the barrel rolling competition for the first time, so that's something.

Hey Chuck. really sorry I missed you this weekend. That really is something, how did they do? Honestly, on the barrel handling level, I'd think Diageo guys could hang with the best of 'em. Sorry I missed that.

Despite the fact that Pappy is probably spinning as I type, I really want good things for Diageo in this. And I really, really hope this stupid fungus thing doesn't begin the end for Louisville's place in the Bourbon industry. Shively taxed most of their distilleries away in the 70's.

I just don't see how it is going to be feasible to seal, ventilate, and then filter the output of a whiskey warehouse. I'm afraid we're about to bitch the last holdouts of the industry into other counties, or even worse, other states.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have a timeline or even a decent guess when The Bulleit Experience at S-W will be open for tours?

It's ready to go, Diageo just has to pull the trigger. No one knows when or even if they will, so there is no timeline and no way to make an informed guess. So...best guess is somewhere between tomorrow and never.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.