Homemade spiced bourbon

StraightNoChaser
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't, but IIRC, there have been a couple of members that have experimented with a "mint" bourbon. They put a candy cane inside a bottle of bourbon. Joe

I haved friends that have played with Apple brandy aged with whole cinnamon sticks in a lightly toasted barrel. Sounds like it's worth a try.

I tried to duplicate the aromatics and spice of gin in a bourbon. There's a thread with info on it. The juniper and anise worked as I expected and positively. The citrus, rosemary not so much.

I put a pint into a ball jar with the spices in a cheesecloth pouch. (Bouquet Garni?)

It steeped for about a week, with an occasional sampling along the way.

I warmed the spices in the toaster oven prior to immersion.

I would use dried peel for any citrus, rather than juice or fresh zest.

Anise is very strong and a small amount of it or any clove goes a really long way.

• 4 months later...

We always keep jars of a rye infusion a buddy came up with on-hand. It is good for drinking straight to warm up on a cold night, and also works well in a Manhattan. I add some cubed apple, cinnamon sticks, and cloves to a jar (and a little sugar and water) and then fill with rye. It's damn fine stuff...the added spice and fruit flavors are there, but not so much so that the rye character is covered up. I can post the exact recipe if anyone's interested.

We always keep jars of a rye infusion a buddy came up with on-hand. It is good for drinking straight to warm up on a cold night, and also works well in a Manhattan. I add some cubed apple, cinnamon sticks, and cloves to a jar (and a little sugar and water) and then fill with rye. It's damn fine stuff...the added spice and fruit flavors are there, but not so much so that the rye character is covered up. I can post the exact recipe if anyone's interested.

Sounds interesting please post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.