Best ginger ales/brews for bourbon/rye

StraightNoChaser
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

No Ale-8-One in Western KY? I can pick it up on shelves as far north as Dayton as well as throughout N KY/Cincinnati area. I had a childhood friend whose dad made several trips a year to KY to pick the stuff up. It's not bad, but much sweeter than I'm looking for.

For those in Cincinnati, I recommend The Comet's special. I forgot what they call it, but it's their homemade ginger ale with (crown or jack or something) - the point is that you can order it with WT 101 and it's fantastic. Nice ginger heat with tons of thick body on it. If you haven't been, their tofu jerk burrito is awesome as well; far superior to the chicken, which I have found to be dry on several occasions.

No Ale-8-One in Western KY? ...

I've looked but not come across. Here is a link to their distribution map which shows an absence in western Kentucky...though it does seem to indicate the Henderson/Owensboro area could have it??? Maybe I have to look better. http://ale8one.com/sales

I sometimes have trouble finding it even in Louisville. I haven't figured out anyplace that always has it in good supply. My last stock came in Louisville, where the first Kroger's didn't have any and the second only had four six-packs, all of which I bought. Now I have a friend here hooked on the stuff, so I have to share.

Yet I once found a huge supply of it in a Walmart in Mansfield, Ohio, so go figure.

• 3 weeks later...
Give this a try.....

Ginger Syrup

½ cup sugar (fine turbinado)

½ cup water

¼ lb. fresh ginger root (peeled and finely grated)

In a small saucepan bring the sugar, water, and ginger to a boil. Turn off the heat, and allow to steep and cool for one hour. Strain off the ginger pieces, and reserve the syrup.

Add a bit of seltzer and the bourbon of your choice. I don't peel my ginger and find that adds a bit more zip. Use the freshest ginger you can find as I feel it loses heat as it gets older....

A most excellent post Reid, you should post more often here on SB.com.

• 3 months later...

Just out of curiousity, how much ginger ale do you guys use? I typically use about a 4-1.5 ratio.

Ale 8 One... Why are we talking about the rest. :lol:

It is too sweet for me with little ginger bite. Tack on the added caffeine and I give it a pass.

I prefer the local Cotton Club "less sweet" Ginger Ale. It is dirt cheap and damn good. It has a good ginger taste and is not syrupy like many others.

I'll try to remember to bring a case down to the sampler.

The Ale 8 I bought 2 years ago came from Liquor Barn in Louisville at Fern Valley Rd. It was the first place I looked. I have seen it in Columbus, Ohio too!

Thomas

Wish I could get Ale-8-One around here. In the mean time, Vernors and rye does the trick every time on a hot summer evening.

I orderd Ale One, and I got it finally in Germany. I shared it in the rehearsal room...with my bandmates....:lol:

Just out of curiousity, how much ginger ale do you guys use? I typically use about a 4-1.5 ratio.

3:1 or 2:1 for me

3:1 or 2:1 for me

With Blenheim Red ....I like 3:1 ..... Love it with WT Rye..... my summer patio drink of choice... No better bottle ginger ale IMO... just tough to find..

With Blenheim Red ....I like 3:1 ..... Love it with WT Rye..... my summer patio drink of choice... No better bottle ginger ale IMO... just tough to find..

I have a bottle bunkered in the fridge :lol:

We have Gosling's ginger beer and it's ok. I actually prefer the sweetness of a ginger ale to the spiciness of a ginger beer for a mixer.

Red Rock is another one that will kick you in the throat if you're not careful. Very spicy.

I picked up a six pack of Red Rock and you're right - it does kick you a bit. After the initially shock of spiciness, I find that this makes a very good bourbon and ginger, especially as the ice melts in the glass some. I had a couple of these last night, and it was a great way to relax after work.

Anyone I know who is traveling I-95 between SC and Virginia I get to stop and pick some up... always sitting on a case or two.

Oh man, I don't know how I missed this thread for so long. We serve Blenheim Red Cap (I think it's more pink than red, but that's whatever) out of our food cart, nothing goes better with pork belly buns. It is by far my favorite.

I haven't seen anyone mention Bruce Cost Fresh Ginger Ginger Ale, it's also pretty good and purports to be the only widely distributed ginger ale to use fresh ginger, you can see little bits floating around. It's no Blenheim's, but it's worth a taste. It tastes like Japanese ginger iced tea.

As for Vernor's, it was originally a small, family owned company in Detroit, making a quality ginger ale that old timers around here go all starry eyed talking about. At some point it was sold off and eventually wound up in the Pepsi-Cola family, who started producing it on a massive scale (not in Detroit) and distributing it far and wide.

The Boston Cooler also comes from Detroit, a vanilla ice cream and Vernor's milkshake that my dad introduced to me when I was just a little feller. Last summer, in a heat wave fueled fever dream, I made myself a boston cooler subbing Blenheim's red cap and adding, yup, you guessed it, a couple o' shots of the good stuff. Not how I want to enjoy my bourbon every night, but a damn fine treat every now and then.

Oh man, I don't know how I missed this thread for so long. We serve Blenheim Red Cap (I think it's more pink than red, but that's whatever) out of our food cart, nothing goes better with pork belly buns. It is by far my favorite.

I haven't seen anyone mention Bruce Cost Fresh Ginger Ginger Ale, it's also pretty good and purports to be the only widely distributed ginger ale to use fresh ginger, you can see little bits floating around. It's no Blenheim's, but it's worth a taste. It tastes like Japanese ginger iced tea.

As for Vernor's, it was originally a small, family owned company in Detroit, making a quality ginger ale that old timers around here go all starry eyed talking about. At some point it was sold off and eventually wound up in the Pepsi-Cola family, who started producing it on a massive scale (not in Detroit) and distributing it far and wide.

The Boston Cooler also comes from Detroit, a vanilla ice cream and Vernor's milkshake that my dad introduced to me when I was just a little feller. Last summer, in a heat wave fueled fever dream, I made myself a boston cooler subbing Blenheim's red cap and adding, yup, you guessed it, a couple o' shots of the good stuff. Not how I want to enjoy my bourbon every night, but a damn fine treat every now and then.

Being from Atlanta, I try and avoid anything Pepsi. Coke ONLY here, thank you...:D Hyeevah, I have loved Vernor's for years. It still tickles my nose if I breathe it in right after pouring. And, does make one great bourbon and ginger cocktail. So, if Pepsi owns it, they ain't screwed it up as far as I can tell. Damn....Did I just say that??!!??!!?? I'm...a...Dead Man....

Much love for Vernor's here. I mix it with lemonade for a Pimm's cup, or with Drambuie and ice. So smoove...

I've also been experimenting with some G-ales for some whiskey cocktails I've been making. Vernor's is a tad too sweet and not enough spicy BITE for what I'm going for, even though it's way better than Schwepps/Seagrams/etc. Hence, I've picked up a couple four packs of Reed's ginger ale and ginger brew. I'll let you know what I concoct.

• 2 months later...

My wife frequently pulls out the smoothie maker during the summer for our kids. I'm going to try this drink the next time she makes some drinks.

• 2 months later...

I mean...c'mon, family. This isn't a competition AT ALL, really. Think about it as brewery/distillery fanatics - This stuff is brewed like a beer, it's got some yeasty sediment in it, it should be rolled on the counter to reincorporate all of it's gingery bits in it...and it makes the BEST "Rye n Stormy" of all time....I make one of these almost weekly!

2oz Ritt

3 healthy dashes of Angostura

.5oz 1:1 homemade simple syrup

Ice

Fill with Bundaberg

Serve with a slice of fresh ginger root or flamed orange, depending upon how swanky/motivated you feel.

Nothing is better.

Vernor's = too sweet, too light

Reed's = spicy, but thin...too sweet

Schweppes = LOL...seriously?

If you don't know Bundaberg, go get it...you'll be glad you did.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.