Absolutely Fantastic 1960s Era Film on Old Fitzgerald Decanter Design

fussychicken
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Wow, what a fantastic time capsule! Ran across this during the week, and was slack jawed watching it. How did everyone's favorite whiskey company go about designing their decanters in the 1960s? Watch this to find out.

This film has something for everyone. A 1960's leading edge design firm, a sun deck full of the best that SW had to offer, old school craftsmanship, early focus groups, a 1960s liquor store shelf, and of course some Old Fitz itself!

http://vimeo.com/12861872

Hope you guys enjoy this one as much as I did. Only $6.70!!!

Very cool. Thanks for posting it.

Raymond Loewy designed several decanters for Old Forester during that same period.

Thanks fussychicken, nice gem...why SB as long as it has been around and repetitive as it can be, still never gets old.

Bravo Mr. Landor! We can still appreciate all of your hard work today. Cheers to the orginal Mad Men. :toast:

2zf32au.jpg

Great link fussychicken. Thanks for sharing.

Wonderful find!

Love the stereotypical 1960s score, the Mad Med look, a really tall male employee Francis Mair head designer with a short Walter Landor, and a really tall lady customer seen with a much with a shorter guy, machinist on a lathe with a silk neck scarf and long sleeves....disaster waiting to happen, a minority hiring firm. Don't drop ashes on the paper! Cigs, joe and bourbon. I like the cut glass decanter.

The short depth shelves in the store just look wrong with all of that product. Walter Landor, what a sophisticated aristocratic voice, somewhat English accented...interesting:

http://www.landor.com/index.cfm?do=aboutus.walterlandor&bhcp=1

(9 July 1913 – 9 June 1995)

"Walter Landor, the son of prominent German architect Fritz Landauer, was born in Munich on July 9, 1913."

He moved to England for schooling and started a design firm. He met a guy from the California College of Arts and Crafts in Oakland who invited him to teach and he moved to the U.S. in 1945.

Still a major design firm today:

http://www.landor.com/

Smirnoff among numerous others.

Very good.

A fun and interesting watch.

And that was a premium price. Standard bourbons were $1 to $1.50 less.

Today, this kind of design is all CAD software driven and the models are produced by machine from the program...hardly any human touch necessary...like almost all consumer products these days. Kind of sad to see the craftsmen, drafters, machinists etc. replaced but that is progress of a sort.

Yeah, having a 12 set piece of candle holders would have sold it for me! ;)

I agree, I like the various glass decanters over some of the later styles, especially the cut glass.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.