Woodford Master's Collection Rye

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I started a new thread because the subject line of the existing one is misleading.

I tasted the new Woodford Reserve Master's Collection Ryes today. They're really good and unlike anything you've ever tasted.

On the other hand, it's two 375 ml bottles for $100.

More to come.

Unlike anything you've ever tasted...in a good way?

I'm torn on these. I really love rye and am interested in tasting their take on it. Am I correct that this would be the only Brown-Forman produced rye?

But, I never met a Woodford Master's Collection bottle that I didn't despise, so I'm skeptical.

That being said, if Chuck says this one is different, that may be enough for me to justify grabbing them.

I like the Master's Collection. I think it's exactly the kind of experimental program a major company/major brand should do. That's not to say other companies do it wrong, I just like the way Woodford does it very much.

But MC haters may not like this. I'm not saying it's a departure from the Master's Collection series. I'm saying the Straight Rye Whiskey version is unlike any rye you've tasted, and very good, and the Rye Mash (used cooperage whiskey) is unique.

Woodford broke one of its own MC rules, in that it changed more than one variable. In addition to being aged in new barrels, the straight rye was barrel entered at 100 proof while the rye mash whiskey was barrel entered at 86 proof.

Think of it as low barrel entry and extremely low barrel entry.

We've had 95% rye but not 100% (rye malt was used) and although they're not telling the age it's in the 7-8 year range, maybe more. It's 100% pot distilled, of course, and there are some other differences in the way it was made. The result is two very different takes on rye. Just when you think you know what rye tastes like, this comes along.

I can't predict whether or not you will like it, but I can assure you that you will learn something from it.

This is the first step in the direction of Woodford being a whiskey distillery that makes more than bourbon. Like all MC releases, it is 100% pot still.

The Brown-Forman Distillery in Shively made Rittenhouse Rye for Heaven Hill for about ten years, but this is completely different.

The 2-pack should start to appear in stores in a week or two.

Sounds interesting for sure. I'm anxious to taste both of them.

What percentage Rye was/is Old Portrero? I thought it was 100% Rye but my memory sucks. One was used cooperage (18th cent.) and one was/is new barrels(19th) if I recall.

I'll definately be grabbing one if I can source it through one of the online stores as I doubt we'll see them in Australia.... or, they'll be like the the Maple Wood Finish and over $200 each :bigeyes:

Sounds interesting for sure. I'm anxious to taste both of them.

What percentage Rye was/is Old Portrero? I thought it was 100% Rye but my memory sucks. One was used cooperage (18th cent.) and one was/is new barrels(19th) if I recall.

Potrero is always 100% Rye Malt, with the 18th Century going into new, toasted barrels, while the 19th Century is in new, charred oak. Both are also out of a Pot Still. So yes, we've seen it before.

The difference is that while both are 100% rye, Potrero is all malted rye, whereas WRMC is mostly unmalted rye.

• 4 weeks later...

I just found this for $49 at a local store. I wasn't keen on getting at the MSRP but this is too good of a deal to pass up! I'll try to post an opinion later

Just picked up a bottle of RittBiB to compare this to... I know technically they're not from the same stills, but it was a good enough excuse to buy it anyway

I enjoy the RittBiB, and don't care for ryes such as Old Potrero. I would be curious to see how you would rate the Woodford MC Rye.

The BF banana phenomenon strikes again. I wanted to like this but I just can't.

I don't enjoy the flavor but I will admit the texture is fantastic. The bottles are cute too I guess

I got to try them yesterday afternoon. Both are good, the best was the one from the new barrel. The other was extremly light. There is not other rye on the market to compare it to. Ours before it goes into the sherry barrels to finish is as close as you can get. Bulliet rye is close as well.

Finally got around to trying these last night. Here are my impressions:

New Cask

Color is light copper. Nose is mild with cinnamon and vanilla notes. Entry taste sensation is bright, yet somehow subdued, cinnamon and mint. And then… well, not much else. Not much at mid-palate, either. Like a poorly-executed lap dance it has a promising start but no finish. Most troubling: a a metallic taste lingering somewhere inthe background. Not much complexity or interest here.

Aged Cask

These ryes are sold in two-bottle sets for a reason: there is not much visually to entice a purchase of the Aged Cask expression. It’s almost colorless; with just a hint of pale straw. (If this were a Scotch, it would be screaming for some caramel coloring.) From a taste standpoint, it’s much less across the board than its New Cask sibling. If this were water, the description would be something like “slightly off-colorand slightly off-flavorâ€.

All in all, a disappointment all the way. There are too many other ryes out there (including some of the underagemicrodistillery ones) which offer better flavor and value.

One guy’s opinion. Maybe those with a more discerning palate (I consider mine average) will find something of interest here.

Let me suggest they may grow on you.

Remember, the point of these experiments is to teach you something. WR would like them also to taste good, but that's secondary. If they didn't taste unlike what you expect, there wouldn't be a point.

Let me suggest they may grow on you.

Remember, the point of these experiments is to teach you something. WR would like them also to taste good, but that's secondary. If they didn't taste unlike what you expect, there wouldn't be a point.

Hard to justify a $80 (or even $50) "lesson" I can't even palate.

Sure, I wanted it to taste unique, maybe even teach me something, but as a consumer of fine bourbons, I wanted it to taste good first. :smiley_acbt:

I picked up a set about 2 weeks ago in KY and shipped them to Sweden.

They are to be released here in MI.

Any idea on when it will be available in MI?

Any idea on when it will be available in MI?

I saw 3 sets of them in a store on Friday. I didn't buy them since the place where I saw them is nortoriously bad with regards to price gounging and service. I'm sure they'll start popping up at better establishments soon.

Saw 3 sets today. Not sure if they were at the same place that Josh was referring to, but these were priced at $98 if memory serves. I passed until a few more reviews roll in.

I had the opportunity to try some this weekend (StraightNoChaser shared...)

And I found not just "weak" - but quite bad. Among the worst whiskey I've tasted. I can be very discriminating, but when push comes to shove, I've honestly had very few commercially produced whiskeys that weren't at least "decent" - and I could respect what went into it.

Not these - both were just simply bad. I couldn't finish them, and was very disappointed. I'm a rye lover - even more so than bourbon, I enjoy rye. I was excited to try these and looking forward to it.

The aged cask was significantly less offensive than the new cask, and could perhaps under certain circumstances be enjoyable, but the color was so pale and "off" that it probably had a bit of psychological impact on my overall experience.

Both were just simply not palatable. I guess what I learned that WR doesn't make a good rye...?:hot:

Happily, I was able to follow it up with tastes from two different PVWFRR ryes (A & B bottles) as well as some Saz 18 (among other old SW bourbon offerings) - so hopefully I got my taste buds re-aligned and back on track!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.