Rye shortage?

leebo
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Can't seem to find baby saz or rittenhouse bib on the shelves here in MA. Help. The rittenhouse usually has been feast or famine in the last year or so. One of my local sales guys said some of the rittenhouse gets more allocation to the bars and resturants.

Both have stopped shipping for some time because of supply shortages at the distilleries. Hopefully they will be back soon.

Baby Saz and Ritt BIB probably will continue to be hard gets, but there's nothing wrong with Wild Turkey Rye, Russell's Reserve Rye, and the LDI 95%ers like Rendezvous and Bulleit. I also think there's nothing wrong with Jim Beam Rye and Old Overholt, but I know many disagree.

In other words, you can't always get what you want but if you try, sometimes you get what you need.

In other words, you can't always get what you want but if you try, sometimes you get what you need.

That's some of your best writing Chuck! Thought of putting it into some sort of song or something? (he said with a smile)

Baby Saz and Ritt BIB probably will continue to be hard gets, but there's nothing wrong with Wild Turkey Rye, Russell's Reserve Rye, and the LDI 95%ers like Rendezvous and Bulleit. I also think there's nothing wrong with Jim Beam Rye and Old Overholt, but I know many disagree.

Don't forget the Willett Rye's. Lots of love for the 4yr product from me.

I see what you did there.:cool:

Don't forget the Willett Rye's. Lots of love for the 4yr product from me.

I've tried all of the LDI based ryes from all the various labels and pretty much like them all (some more than others of course like High West and Bulleit) but I have never seen the Willett versions down here. Where do I need to go to find them? Are they available in Knoxville (I sometimes get up there to McScrooge's)?

There probably have been more posts here about the Willett rye than there are bottles available.

Is it the same LDI stuff just at a higher proof?

Is it the same LDI stuff just at a higher proof?

Yes. The Willet Rye is a cask strength release. I have bottlings at 110, and 108.2. And it is LDI.

I've tried all of the LDI based ryes from all the various labels and pretty much like them all (some more than others of course like High West and Bulleit) but I have never seen the Willett versions down here. Where do I need to go to find them? Are they available in Knoxville (I sometimes get up there to McScrooge's)?

There's a contact number on KBD's website. Give 'em a call and ask if they're sold in your area.

There's a contact number on KBD's website. Give 'em a call and ask if they're sold in your area.

I'll try that number but I know nobody stocks any Willett other than the "Pot Still" version. We do have many KBD products here with more showing up everyday. I buy a lot of the Pure Kentucky and we just got Kentucky Vintage and Johnny Drum Private Stock.

I'll try that number but I know nobody stocks any Willett other than the "Pot Still" version. We do have many KBD products here with more showing up everyday. I buy a lot of the Pure Kentucky and we just got Kentucky Vintage and Johnny Drum Private Stock.

In that case, ask your friendly neighborhood retailer for the name and number of the Georgia KBD wholesaler, and ask them why the h-ll they don't carry the Rye.

I got maybe one more store that I know carries the baby saz. I"ve got some bunker supplies. 10+ of the rit bib, 4 of the baby saz, some 18 yr, some handy and some rvwfrr.

• 1 month later...

Anybody know how severe the shortage on Baby Saz is or going to be for the forseeable future? Suddenly, almost none to be found in the western regions of TN. I don't know if NYT article had an impact or not, or, just the normal rash of holiday buying. Rye is not normally a big seller in this area and sales always pretty steady for the regulars like me. Also, Saz 18 has all but vanished as well :confused: Maybe just a sign of the times though.

Anybody know how severe the shortage on Baby Saz is or going to be for the forseeable future? Suddenly, almost none to be found in the western regions of TN. I don't know if NYT article had an impact or not, or, just the normal rash of holiday buying. Rye is not normally a big seller in this area and sales always pretty steady for the regulars like me. Also, Saz 18 has all but vanished as well :confused: Maybe just a sign of the times though.

Maybe your guys in the black SuV nabbed all the baby saz as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That could very well be. However, they did leave a couple of them at the former ORVW 23 location though. I snagged them since I had not seen it anywhere else in the last week or so. Other spots I have been since getting that info indicates the nabbers were not after just bourbon...fortunately for me. Looks like they were also buying up some rarer and/or special edition scotch, cognac and wines. I have never achieved a taste for any of those....so, on a selfish note - they could have taken 2 SUV loads of that stuff for all I care...lol

Where is that story posted?

Such a shame. Booze profiteers.

That could very well be. However, they did leave a couple of them at the former ORVW 23 location though. I snagged them since I had not seen it anywhere else in the last week or so. Other spots I have been since getting that info indicates the nabbers were not after just bourbon...fortunately for me. Looks like they were also buying up some rarer and/or special edition scotch, cognac and wines. I have never achieved a taste for any of those....so, on a selfish note - they could have taken 2 SUV loads of that stuff for all I care...lol

Cant agree more on the scotch and cognac!

Found 3 rittenhouse bib for 19.99 from one of my regular retail guys. He put aside 3 from the only case of 12 that he got, nice.

Talked to a distributor today at a store in SE Indiana regarding Ritt BIB. He said there were only 3 cases in all of Indiana. I assume that was for his distribution company only but maybe it was just 3. He said he would get a case sent to store but store wanted me to buy the whole case. It was going to be around $18-$19 each plus tax. I need to call tomorrow to get final price. Anyone in greater Cincinnati area interested half a case? It would take me a while to make it through the whole case.

Not sure if it a true shortage or just managed scarcity (something we here in Napa perfected), but I pretty much buy any baby Saz I see, as I see them so infrequently. Haven't seen a RittBib but maybe once in 6 months and am regretting not buying it.

Talked to a distributor today at a store in SE Indiana regarding Ritt BIB. He said there were only 3 cases in all of Indiana. I assume that was for his distribution company only but maybe it was just 3. He said he would get a case sent to store but store wanted me to buy the whole case. It was going to be around $18-$19 each plus tax. I need to call tomorrow to get final price. Anyone in greater Cincinnati area interested half a case? It would take me a while to make it through the whole case.

That has the ring of bullshit. If there is so little of it available and it's so hard to get, how can he so easily claim one-third of the state's total allotment? He's just trying to make a case sale. I'm shocked, shocked that a retailer would do such an underhanded thing.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.