Quintessential Inexpensive Rye

Zanaspus
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Now that's a rye I haven't tried, and would love to. I'll have to hunt one down one of these days! Who owns the fleischmann's name?

It's only sold in Wisconsin for some strange reason, and it's made at Barton of all places. Since Sazerac bought it, I'm waiting for it to all go into Baby Saz.:rolleyes::smiley_acbt:

It's actually pretty damn good. $18.99 for a handle, and it's now only in handles.

It's only sold in Wisconsin for some strange reason, and it's made at Barton of all places. Since Sazerac bought it, I'm waiting for it to all go into Baby Saz.:rolleyes::smiley_acbt:

It's actually pretty damn good. $18.99 for a handle, and it's now only in handles.

I THOUGHT it might be barton. I think their mashbill is 53% rye... I will have to hunt some down.

I THOUGHT it might be barton. I think their mashbill is 53% rye... I will have to hunt some down.

Maybe if they do start blending it in, you and I may start to actually like Baby Saz.:lol:

It's funny, but Barton and B-F make my favorite cheap Ryes, but most people never associate those places with Rye.

Maybe if they do start blending it in, you and I may start to actually like Baby Saz.:lol:

It's funny, but Barton and B-F make my favorite cheap Ryes, but most people never associate those places with Rye.

A quantity of the rye that HW has, came from Barton stocks.Their 21 year old is Barton stock. Of course, the mashbill now could be different than it was in 1990ish, but I don't know why it would be.

A quantity of the rye that HW has, came from Barton stocks.Their 21 year old is Barton stock. Of course, the mashbill now could be different than it was in 1990ish, but I don't know why it would be.

I've heard that. In fact, somewhere on this site Perkins said as much. And a friend recently poured me a taste of the 21yr Rye, and I thought it was amazing.

And I'm sure it's the same mashbill, given Kentucky's penchant for change.:lol: :lol: :lol:

I had a chance to taste a 100% rye made by Barton..... superb stuff! Unfortunately, it (and their wheater) is not likely to see the light of day (except maybe via Bowman or the bulk market).

They make a wheated recipe???:bigeyes:

Where has it been going? I would assume that now it can simply go into Weller, but were they making it prior to Sazerac ownership??

According to Buffalo Trace, no one knows why Barton was making wheated bourbon and nothing has been done with it yet. I don't think it's very old.

Barton was quietly doing contract distilling and selling bulk whiskey before Sazerac took over.

According to Buffalo Trace, no one knows why Barton was making wheated bourbon and nothing has been done with it yet. I don't think it's very old.

Barton was quietly doing contract distilling and selling bulk whiskey before Sazerac took over.

And people wonder why conspiracy theories abound concerning Kentucky Whiskey? "According to BT, no one knows why..."

If you shelled out millions for Tom Moore, would you not think to ask Constellation, or whomever sold it to you, "Hey, what's up with the Wheater??":skep: :rolleyes: :skep:

Not to interrupt the new path, but I just got home with Bulleit Rye, WT Rye, EC12 and Buffalo Trace (figured 2 and 2 was a good plan and there was no baby Saz in beautiful Ohio). Anyway, I cracked the Bulleit about 15 minutes ago, and all I can say is WOW!

I know I have lots of things to taste, but right now, I think I like this better than Bourbon. It even rivals the beloved scotch that got me into this whole mess!

Thanks for all the guidance from a new rye lover. :cool:

I think I like this better than Bourbon. It even rivals the beloved scotch that got me into this whole mess!

I, too, come to American whiskey via Scotch - and honestly (as blasphemous as it may be...) prefer Rye to most bourbon. Don't get me wrong - I love bourbon, but more often than not, I reach for Rye over Bourbon. I've probably got 2-to-1 in my bunker in favor of Rye vs. Bourbon (actually right now it's more like 4-to-1).

Something about Rye just really resonates with me - like a big ol' peaty single malt, it's got that same vibrancy/richness.

Now you just need to get your hands on some VWFRR, Saz 18 or Vintage 21 to really get your addiction ramped up!

... I think I like this better than Bourbon. It even rivals the beloved scotch that got me into this whole mess!...
I, too, come to American whiskey via Scotch - and honestly (as blasphemous as it may be...) prefer Rye to most bourbon. ...

Something about Rye just really resonates with me - like a big ol' peaty single malt, it's got that same vibrancy/richness. ...

You are really not alone, my friends. I am a real aficionado of Islay single-malt scotch, and found my way to rye whiskey several years ago. (My affinity for rye is how I found my way to straightbourbon.com.) Both are my 'go-to' whiskies now. I am always introducing people to rye, and even make sure to educate the restaurant or bar that I visit about offering a good rye whiskey. (And, now most recently, I find that I'm enjoying some of the high-rye recipe bourbons.)

I don't doubt Ken is telling the truth but I suspect he wasn't told the truth. Barton had never been quick to introduce new brands. I don't know. I suspect someone knows more than they're saying.

Mark Brown (president of Sazerac) seems very open and he is about many things, but he's very good at not telling you things he doesn't want you to know. He doesn't lie about it, he just doesn't tell you. He's very disciplined and never slips.

With most people, you ask them something and you can see on their face that they're thinking, "I know I'm not supposed to talk about that, what can I say?" That's when people tell dumb lies that don't make any sense.

Here's a conspiracy theory, based on nothing, but maybe you can have some fun with it. Everyone knows Maker's Mark bourbon is 100% made at the Maker's Mark Distillery. The brand has never contained bulk whiskey made somewhere else.

Everyone also knows that Maker's is approaching the limit of its water supply. There are ways they can expand beyond that, but they're tricky and involve major changes. What if Beam hired Barton to make some wheated bourbon, made as close as possible to the Maker's formula, with the idea of someday slipping some of that whiskey into Maker's. They weren't doing it, they were just testing it, and there was some reason why they contracted it to Barton rather than doing it at a Beam plant. And maybe that also explains how Barton's master distiller, Greg Davis, came to be master distiller at Maker's.

I don't doubt Ken is telling the truth but I suspect he wasn't told the truth. Barton had never been quick to introduce new brands. I don't know. I suspect someone knows more than they're saying.

Mark Brown (president of Sazerac) seems very open and he is about many things, but he's very good at not telling you things he doesn't want you to know. He doesn't lie about it, he just doesn't tell you. He's very disciplined and never slips.

With most people, you ask them something and you can see on their face that they're thinking, "I know I'm not supposed to talk about that, what can I say?" That's when people tell dumb lies that don't make any sense.

Here's a conspiracy theory, based on nothing, but maybe you can have some fun with it. Everyone knows Maker's Mark bourbon is 100% made at the Maker's Mark Distillery. The brand has never contained bulk whiskey made somewhere else.

Everyone also knows that Maker's is approaching the limit of its water supply. There are ways they can expand beyond that, but they're tricky and involve major changes. What if Beam hired Barton to make some wheated bourbon, made as close as possible to the Maker's formula, with the idea of someday slipping some of that whiskey into Maker's. They weren't doing it, they were just testing it, and there was some reason why they contracted it to Barton rather than doing it at a Beam plant. And maybe that also explains how Barton's master distiller, Greg Davis, came to be master distiller at Maker's.

I love it! "Based on nothing??" Right! Funny, as you'd think they could make a bit at Boston or Clermont without too much fuss, but you never know...

Yes, I want to emphasize that I completely made that up. Based on no evidence or speculation whatsoever.

Though, actually, I do find the whole thing rather mysterious and agree Mark probably knows more than he's saying.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.