No Rittenhouse Shortage in Chicago

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

There is apparently no shortage of Rittenhouse Rye BIB in Chicago. I just returned from Binny's Lincoln Park and they had a floor stack of about 50 cases, at $22.99/750 ml. Still DSP-354.

Its always been kind of vacant at the Binnys out in the western suburbs, but I never have really had trouble finding it even when walking into some random liquor store in my area. On my last trip up to Sheboygan though, I found a store that was carrying it for $17 a bottle and nearly had a heart attack. Nothing like getting your favorite bottle of whiskey for super cheap :D

Chuck shore is right about this! I was trying to get to the bourbon aisle and the sheer heft and girth of that there Ritt BIB case stack was pretty astounding.

Naturally I left with a 12 bottle case. I don't bring wine to dinner parties anymore, and I'm sick of bringing something dusty or fancy only to find no one appreciates it. At $20something, I'm still spending more than the jackasses that bring Yellow Tail anyway. And turning people on to some great whiskey. So it's just common sense to have a few cases.

If you want something more in the Yellow Tail price range, Binny's now carries J.T.S. Brown BIB bourbon. I didn't notice the price, but I'm sure it's less than $22.99.

Also Mellow Corn corn whiskey and, for that matter, Very Old Barton.

But taking Rit BIB is very generous and should quickly make you a legend among your friends and acquaintances. You'll probably get invited to a lot more parties.

Dang!

I know this just came in stock in the state recently. I was talking to my store guy a week or two ago and I thought that he said when talking to the distributer, that we only got like 12 case in for the whole state.

I coud be off, but man, what a difference.

Just happy to pick up my couple that I wanted.

B

After two years+ of it being virtually unavailable it finally made it into Columbia,SC right before X-mas. I didn't realize all the stores got it so I bought a case at the first one. $16.95 here.

I went around a few stores in No Ky yesterday and couldn't find a single bottle of the stuff. Having missed out on Bowman's single barrels (I didn't have the funds until after the post-Christmas rush.), I'd like to pick up a bottle or two as a consolation prize. Please pm me if anyone sees this around No Ky/ Cincinnati area (or Indy for that matter).

They had it for the first time in Maryville MO HyVee I grabbed 2 bottles right off next time I'm there I will grab two more. I have been trying to get this for over 2 years.

I went around a few stores in No Ky yesterday and couldn't find a single bottle of the stuff. Having missed out on Bowman's single barrels (I didn't have the funds until after the post-Christmas rush.), I'd like to pick up a bottle or two as a consolation prize. Please pm me if anyone sees this around No Ky/ Cincinnati area (or Indy for that matter).

I can't believe Jay doesn't have it or won't soon. There obviously is plenty in the pipeline at the moment.

There obviously is plenty in the pipeline at the moment.

It's that Rittenhouse time of year - seems like 2x a year it shows up, and then it's gone for months. I haven't seen it regularly on any shelf in Texas for the past 6 months, and now I'm tripping over it at under $20 a bottle.

Just know this will be short lived, because it'll go away (again) for months - or longer - once this release sells out.

Just the cycle of the desired low-end Ryes (WT, Saz, Ritt - they all go in a cycle at retail as far as I've been able to determine over the last 3 years or so of coveting the stuff).

Buy plenty and buy now...

Then again (and I say this every year...) maybe it's finally a regular product in the production pipeline rather than seasonal?

There is apparently no shortage of Rittenhouse Rye BIB in Chicago. I just returned from Binny's Lincoln Park and they had a floor stack of about 50 cases, at $22.99/750 ml. Still DSP-354.

I picked up a couple bottles at Binny's last week for $22.99, then drove down the road a couple miles to a smaller shop where they had it for $18.99.

Craig

Well, I've been off the Ritt BIB train for a few years now, as I was finding it to be too bourbony. Baby Saz has become my go-to. But, I'm going to have to pick up a bottle to try again, while it seems readily available at present.

Well, I've been off the Ritt BIB train for a few years now, as I was finding it to be too bourbony. Baby Saz has become my go-to. But, I'm going to have to pick up a bottle to try again, while it seems readily available at present.

Want me to bring an open bottle on the 14th to see if you still find it too bourbony?

Want me to bring an open bottle on the 14th to see if you still find it too bourbony?

yessy! :D

Thanks, Jack.

Its always been kind of vacant at the Binnys out in the western suburbs, but I never have really had trouble finding it even when walking into some random liquor store in my area. On my last trip up to Sheboygan though, I found a store that was carrying it for $17 a bottle and nearly had a heart attack. Nothing like getting your favorite bottle of whiskey for super cheap :D

I know the SW burbs has a decent stock of it (plainfield and naperville).

I never knew what all the hoopla was about regarding the rye shortage. Yes, there is a shortage of options, but most of the options that are available elsewhere in the country are readily available in Chicago.

I was Jonesing for some Ritt BIB but, this being Ohio, that was out of the question. My local merchant stocks Baby Saz--but has been out for a couple months. Fortunately, he still had some WT 101 rye so all is not lost. Next week, we are headed to FL with a pit stop at the Liquor Barn in Lexington where they stock lots of good stuff that is not available in BuckeyeLand: VOB, AAA 10YO, OWA.

Chicago politics may be awful but that is just the price you pay for access to Ritt BIB.

If I go to the store to buy Rit BIB and they're out, that's a crisis.

Very true. I never find more than 2-3 in a store at a time...most of time zero.

I frequently see a Ritt shortage in Chicago. Binny's isn't always my go to store and theres enough whiskey in the bunker that I don't "need" any but when shopping, it's frequently not available.

Distribution is so bizarre - in DC it's everywhere, but in Maryland, which got the PVWs a month before DC, it's completely absent.

Just had my very first Manhattan this evening, made using 2.5 oz Ritt BIB and 1 oz sweet vermouth, with Angostura bitters and 3 Maraschino cherries (concession to the wife). Absolutely delicious! I think Ritt BIB was made for Manhattans. I had it straight afterwards and I swear I could taste the Angostura. It's just perfect for the other ingredients.

I visited my favorite honey hole today, and spied 2 bottles that I had not seen previously . At $15.99 a pop, I bought them both. It was the first time I'd seen them anywhere

No shortage in Ontario either. We've had a pretty consistent supply for at least the past year.

Though at the price we're paying (~$35), I doubt many of you will be crossing the border to fill your boots.

I visited my favorite honey hole today, and spied 2 bottles that I had not seen previously . At $15.99 a pop, I bought them both. It was the first time I'd seen them anywhere

Bahh. You are on the boarder. I got all excited thinking I could get Ritt in Ohio. No dice.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.