No Rittenhouse Shortage in Chicago

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Bahh. You are on the boarder. I got all excited thinking I could get Ritt in Ohio. No dice.

Lol...nothing gets past you..:shocked:

FWIW, I've never not seen it in NYC.

I think we benefit from being so high volume. It's only in one store that I know of, but we always have Weller 12, too, another mid-shelfer that seems to wax and wane elsewhere in terms of availability.

For the Chicagoland crew - I'm driving up on Saturday to attend a fishing Show in the Palatine - I90 and Rt 53 area.

Not looking for any secret honey holes - just someplace close-by that might have a Weller 12 or one of these plentiful Rittenhouse's you speak of... or at least just a larger than average bourbon selection.

I read alot about Binny's but I don't have time to get downtown on this trip.

Thanks!

It used to be a special order in Ohio but they discontinued it. One store in my area had 8 bottles on the shelf when they closed it out and I bought them all!

Thomas

For the Chicagoland crew - I'm driving up on Saturday to attend a fishing Show in the Palatine - I90 and Rt 53 area.

Not looking for any secret honey holes - just someplace close-by that might have a Weller 12 or one of these plentiful Rittenhouse's you speak of... or at least just a larger than average bourbon selection.

I read alot about Binny's but I don't have time to get downtown on this trip.

Thanks!

There are binny's all over chicagoland. They have just under 30 locations. Schaumburg, Des Plaines, Buffalo Grove, and Mt. Prospect are all very close by.

Good news: my favorite spot on the riding circuit just reloaded the shelves today after being empty a couple of weeks. Bad news: increase of $3 a bottle. At $18.99 that is why it was my favorite place to get it.

Our favorite best bang-for-the-buck rye has now gone from $13-14 (IIRC) to $21-22 in a short span of time. Heck, I even saw it for $30 in one store recently. How long before we lament "I remember when" and the shelf price hits $39? If so, it will soon join the crowd of a few other favorites I recall were in the $20 neighborhood just a few short years ago.:deadhorse:

Here's my recent Rittenhouse Rye BIB purchase history.

$12.99 3/8/2004

$11.99 9/4/2004

$11.99 11/23/2004

$12.99 12/21/2005

$11.99 7/29/2006

$15.99 11/26/2006

$11.99 2/21/2007

$12.99 7/23/2007

$12.99 11/7/2008

$17.00 1/29/2011 (Binny's January 15% off sale)

$22.99 1/3/2012

I think it started to go up, and get scarce, in 2009, which is why I didn't buy any for two years.

So, if my math is correct, that is an increase of approximately 77% in slightly under 8 years. That puts it at almost 10% per year. Is that about normal for bourbon and/or rye over same period of time? Seems higher than the norm to me...but, my kids think I am the cheapest person they will ever know...lol

I guess once the scarcity factor came into the picture, that is where the increases began. Looking at the listing again, I noticed that I failed to note that fact on first glance. Over the first 5 years, the price was stable. Maybe I am just :deadhorse: again....perhaps just another 'sign of the times' & I should be grateful I can get it without a lot of difficulty.

So, if my math is correct, that is an increase of approximately 77% in slightly under 8 years. That puts it at almost 10% per year. Is that about normal for bourbon and/or rye over same period of time? Seems higher than the norm to me...but, my kids think I am the cheapest person they will ever know...lol

I guess once the scarcity factor came into the picture, that is where the increases began. Looking at the listing again, I noticed that I failed to note that fact on first glance. Over the first 5 years, the price was stable. Maybe I am just :deadhorse: again....perhaps just another 'sign of the times' & I should be grateful I can get it without a lot of difficulty.

Maybe the big price jump came because of the temporary shortage (from HH or wholesaler markup, or both, I don't know) and everyone just decided to keep it that way when the spout came back on.

FWIW, it's $21-23 in DC. Montgomery County, MD has it listed for $16, but they haven't had it in stock since I started looking.

They're in business to make money and most businesses base pricing on one criteria: what the market will bear. Due to the aging cycle, it's hard to take advantage of growing demand by growing supply, so you have to do some of it by raising prices. Rit BIB is still cheaper than any rye except Jim Beam and Old Overholt, and the beloved but limited Fleischmann's.

Maybe they'll move Rit BIB up to premium pricing and start to make Pikesville more widely available, as their value rye. I'm sure HH has been steadily increasing production, especially now that it's back home at Bernheim.

They're in business to make money and most businesses base pricing on one criteria: what the market will bear. Due to the aging cycle, it's hard to take advantage of growing demand by growing supply, so you have to do some of it by raising prices. Rit BIB is still cheaper than any rye except Jim Beam and Old Overholt, and the beloved but limited Fleischmann's.

Maybe they'll move Rit BIB up to premium pricing and start to make Pikesville more widely available, as their value rye. I'm sure HH has been steadily increasing production, especially now that it's back home at Bernheim.

Now that supply is higher, pricing... oh, it's staying higher, as well. Good for them.

I read on this really obscure site that Pikesville was just Ritt 80 with a different label:

http://www.casacoctel.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=59:quick-rye-list&catid=60:whiskey-articles&Itemid=108

No source or anything, so it's just as if the guy next to me at a bar told me. Does that sound like it could be the case?

You know how it goes. It starts out the same--same mash bill, same off the still--but it has a different flavor profile, which is a matter of barrel selection. I also seem to recall that although Pikesville is straight rye at 40% ABV, it's only 3 years old. So it's not the exact same stuff, but darn close. Both are Heaven Hill products. They also make Stephen Foster rye, which is even less widely distributed than Pikesville. Maybe that's the 3 year old.

Here's my recent Rittenhouse Rye BIB purchase history.

$12.99 3/8/2004

$11.99 9/4/2004

$11.99 11/23/2004

$12.99 12/21/2005

$11.99 7/29/2006

$15.99 11/26/2006

$11.99 2/21/2007

$12.99 7/23/2007

$12.99 11/7/2008

$17.00 1/29/2011 (Binny's January 15% off sale)

$22.99 1/3/2012

I think it started to go up, and get scarce, in 2009, which is why I didn't buy any for two years.

My local joint had a steady supply of Ritt 80 and no BIB until they ran out. I asked them to reorder, and he got the BIB. At $19, I'd think twice if it were a buck or two more, and I won't stock up at that price. I just hope it lasts for when I do want it. I seem to clean him out of all the coveted stuff and it never comes back.

Keeping records of comparative costs of one's purchases or Ritt BIB for 8 years...a clear symptom of the advanced stages of Acute Whiskirexia Nervosa...:Clever:

I wondered what it was called...now I have a response for my wife's scowl :drink:

Ritt BIB recently reappeared at at least one store in my area after a long drought. I like this store but they're known to casually mark up certain in-demand items, and want $38 for it this time around.

I'm pretty sure I know where to get it closer to list but need to call around.

Golly! I paid $25 and thought it was on the high end. At $38 it would sit there a long time.

Golly! I paid $25 and thought it was on the high end. At $38 it would sit there a long time.

Yeah, what do they think it is, Ri1?:grin:

Yeah, what do they think it is, Ri1?:grin:

HAHAHAHAHAHA

That was funny.

I'm guessing we'll see a Beam Vodka soon, as they've probably got a major surplus of those super-sexy bottles they used for Ri1... certainly won't sell with their Rye in them...

I get my Ritt for $17 at one store, but most others are $22-$23 (when it can be found)

LOL @ this.

Thing is, as a cocktail ingredient (which is where most of my Ritt ends up) I can't argue that it's not worth it. I'll pay north of $30 for a good cognac and for a well-made boutique gin, so why not Ritt? The gouging is objectionable obviously, the actual price point could be worse.

Yes, its been in state for at least two or three weeks.

I was told that the state as a whole did get fewer cases than than last year,maybe something to the order of 25% less?? I don't remember what I was told exactly, but I remember it was quite a decrease.

Need a hand? Let me know. Being the nice guy that I am, I will also take a look around the sunny St. Pete Beach FL area, I managed to get out of town before the cold and snow hit. :grin:

The white sand is almost like snow.......

B

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.