Breakout Premium Rye

Josh
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Breakout Premium Rye has just appeared on the Michigan list and there is no info about it online. Anybody heard of this stuff? About $40 a bottle, distributed by General, who also distributes WT, B-F HH and Redemption.

Just found it in two stores in Massachusetts this weekend, along with a cousin in the same-shaped bottle called Jailers Tennessee Whiskey(!)

The bottler is called Tennessee Distilling Company from Pewaukee, WI (which seems a little geographically schizophrenic?) A Google search turned up this link:

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/ernie-blockburger/1b/2a8/3ba

but no other web presence.

Just found it in two stores in Massachusetts this weekend, along with a cousin in the same-shaped bottle called Jailers Tennessee Whiskey(!)

The bottler is called Tennessee Distilling Company from Pewaukee, WI (which seems a little geographically schizophrenic?) A Google search turned up this link:

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/ernie-blockburger/1b/2a8/3ba

but no other web presence.

Thanks a lot Kevin! Ernie Blockburger, that sounds like the name of a Rodney Dangerfield movie character.

post-3804-14489817699148_thumb.jpg

Thanks a lot Kevin! Ernie Blockburger, that sounds like the name of a Rodney Dangerfield movie character.

• 2 weeks later...

These are in California too: Breakout 8 year old rye and Jailers Tennessee Whiskey. I wrote to Mr. Blockburger to try and find out more.

Hmmm...let's see... calls itself a vertically integrated company (not an MBA so I had to look that up) in a three tier system industry (so how vertically integrated can you be) that also proclaims it "produces", creates, and markets its own alcohol beverage brands". :horseshit: Or...benefit of the doubt, in their use of the transitive verb "produces" tdmv (their definition may vary) but isn't that covered by creates?

• 1 month later...

Tasted em both. Unknown origins for the whiskey. Owned by capital brands. Juice is nothing to write home about. Low proof (for my tastes) but still kind of hot tasting. I'm passing on the free bottle they gave me. Sorry, no offense, just not my cup of tea

• 1 month later...

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/beverage-industry-vets-form-capital-brands-and-the-tennessee-spirits-company-144417735.html

Dave Scheurich, who formerly ran Woodford Reserve, is involved. Sounds very much like Lincoln Henderson and Angels Envy. As with Henderson, obvious assumption is that it's BF juice, Jack Daniel's in this case. I doubt it. And I did hear a rumor that Diageo sold some Dickel as bulk recently. Nothing is confirmed.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/beverage-industry-vets-form-capital-brands-and-the-tennessee-spirits-company-144417735.html

Dave Scheurich, who formerly ran Woodford Reserve, is involved. Sounds very much like Lincoln Henderson and Angels Envy. As with Henderson, obvious assumption is that it's BF juice, Jack Daniel's in this case. I doubt it. And I did hear a rumor that Diageo sold some Dickel as bulk recently. Nothing is confirmed.

I tasted the Jailers at Julio's in March -- I'd have bet it was Dickel juice.

• 3 weeks later...

This is Dickel juice.

Also, a little side note Dickel will be releasing a rye later on this year.

The one and only time I've ever bought Dickel was a bottle of 12 year old, a couple of years ago when it returned to the market after an absence. I was a bit put off by it; it had an overwhelming aroma and flavor of undiluted brewer's yeast. If that profile is in their rye, it should be a dead giveaway.

• 1 month later...

Saw it at the LS next to Costco. They had it in the premium cabinet, must not have enough to get normal shelf space.

Tried it and like it! The Dickel taste is there. Plus a little different smell and feel. I like Dickel for an inexpensive whisky.

My brother lives in Winchester TN, and drives past JD sometimes. But he has been buying Dickel for the last 30+ years. I have toured both. But th JD tour is much more refined. At least it was back in the 80's.

I may try the rye, but definately will pick up another Jailers. Good stuff for 25.00.

George

• 2 weeks later...
Ran across this again today. Look at what is on lunn's desk around 1:50

Great catch!

:fish2: :fish2: :fish2: :fish2: :fish2:

Thanks! I am nosy. Amazing how He puts on that cap which you can tell he never wears and acts like he is making whiskey. And looks like that bottle said 116 proof. I just wonder if that was just off the beer still?

...looking around...

What "cool people"? :skep:

Thanks! I am nosy. Amazing how He puts on that cap which you can tell he never wears and acts like he is making whiskey. And looks like that bottle said 116 proof. I just wonder if that was just off the beer still?

The hat was definitely the best part of the video. :grin:

George Dickel, of course, never distilled anything, there or anywhere else, and it's unlikely he ever even visited Cascade Hollow.

But I have made inquiries about Dickel Rye.

I have an official denial from Diageo that they had anything to do with Breakout Rye.

They will neither confirm nor deny that a Dickel Rye is in the works.

I have an official denial from Diageo that they had anything to do with Breakout Rye.

They will neither confirm nor deny that a Dickel Rye is in the works.

Thanks, Chuck.

I think some kind of thread drift started the confusion (i.e. questions about Jailers Bourbon from the same bottler, which is unquestionably Dickel juice to my palate.)

The Breakout rye is too old at 8 years to be an as-yet-unheard-of Dickel rye. I have a bottle, and enjoy it, but don't have enough other (LDI) ryes to compare to.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.