Glasses

FishinPete
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

There are a ton of options for glasses. But I like a glass that displays well (no scratches) and doesn't chip easily. I discovered Libby "DuraTuff" glasses, which are kiln hardened for commercial durability. I purchased a variety of sizes for different uses - 6, 8, 10 and 12 ounce glasses. I find the 6 is about perfect for a neat drink and the 8 is nice for on-the-rocks. The scalloped shape reflects nicely and the bottom is flat, so no drippage coming out of the dishwasher. After a year of use, even nesting the glasses on the shelf, I have no scratches on them. Final judgment still pending, but so far, so good.

DuraTuff is great stuff.

Years ago, I washed, filled, carried and served a zillion of them in restaurants, especially in the "Winchester" design. They're designed for a very rough life, and I once dropped a water glass on a restaurant kitchen tile floor and watched the rim bounce off the floor four times before the glass broke on the fifth flip (try THAT with your Riedels or Glencairns!)

:)

The DuraTuff glasses have a good weight that makes them "feel like a bar glass". The designs are basic and classic, and nobody is going to mistake them for Lalique or Baccarat. Get enough of the designs and you'll walk into a bar and notice which DuraTuff design they chose to complete their "look" ('Hmmm, is this an "Everest" kind of place? or maybe "Gibraltar"')...

They cost little enough that breakage isn't much of a problem (unless you get flashbacks of a restaurant owner yelling at you for cutting the profits by breaking all the glassware!). Most affordable in case lots from restaurant supply houses.

Avoid knockoffs, get the real thing.

Here's a link to this year's Libbey catalog. DuraTuff starts on page 56:

http://foodservice.libbey.com/catalogs/foodservice-glassware/catalog.html

Also turn ahead to page 80 and marvel at the sizes bars can play with when serving "a shot of liquor"...

Also turn ahead to page 80 and marvel at the sizes bars can play with when serving "a shot of liquor"...

As an unabashed lover of glassware, I love to see all of the shapes they're offering (even for shot glasses). However, part of the beauty of good glassware is the functionality. These look great, but they take up a lot of space and don't add anything to the shot (unless you're creating a lot of layered shots that'll showcase the glassware).

Also, a 5+ ounce tequila shot glass? Really?

I guess I should have specified - I'm a "Gibraltar" guy. I like the clean refractions from the hexagonal scallops.

As an unabashed lover of glassware, I love to see all of the shapes they're offering (even for shot glasses). However, part of the beauty of good glassware is the functionality. These look great, but they take up a lot of space and don't add anything to the shot (unless you're creating a lot of layered shots that'll showcase the glassware).

Also, a 5+ ounce tequila shot glass? Really?

I also meant it as, well, let's say you go to a bar and order a shot of Maker's Mark. The bartender pours the shot and puts it out for you on a napkin. You pay and tip.

Now, how much whiskey did you just get in your nicely filled shot? 1.5oz? 1oz? 1.25oz? maybe even 2oz? In the catalog, you can see the row of fluted-base whiskey shot glasses that all look like the same, but the management (or perhaps local regulation) sets which capacity you get. It might even mean you pay $7 for 2oz at one place, and the same for 1.25oz at the bar across the street!

Generally speaking, the staff will tell you what the pour size is, but most customers never ask.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.