What rye are you enjoying? - Winter 2012

sob0728
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Same here, wish I had bought another couple when TPS had them in stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had a little nip of some ND Old Overholt, 86 proof. My rye literacy is pretty scant, but it's sort of like a marriage between the warmth and weight and bourbon-esque character of RittBIB and the minty, mineral rye nature of something like Bulleit Rye. Nice stuff.

I like this thread!

I was just saying in it's companion thread that I'm having some Vintage 21yr. It's been open a year, and unlike a wheater, I feel that this bottle has lost a step since I first opened it. Too much air?? I have been whittling down my open bottles to combat this type of issue.

At one point in my "must try it all" phase, I had close to 100 bottles open at once. I've got it down to around 25.

I like this thread!

I got a hold of some High West 'Rocky Mountain Rye,' which is what they call their 16-year old 80% Rye. At 92pr it's not quite twice as spicy as THH Rye. Also sippin on a Willet 3 year-old @ 113pr. A couple drops of water, and it's the perfect young rye.

I drink my VWFRR from a straw.

Just a splash of some Saz 18 (2004 release) and then I might have a Rye and ginger with some WT.

Jefferson's 10 year rye. It's good stuff. I'm discovering that I'm a rye fan and have bypassing the bourbon night after night!

Had a Jefferson's Rye on Friday - tasted like hairspray to me at the time, but for some awful reason I want more.

Bought a Russell's Reserve Rye last night, which I'll open as soon as I kill an open bottle (I, too, have waaaaay too many bottles open). What do you rye lovers think of it?

Bought a Russell's Reserve Rye last night, which I'll open as soon as I kill an open bottle (I, too, have waaaaay too many bottles open). What do you rye lovers think of it?

I really enjoy it - but the pricing is odd, I get it as low as $23, but see it as high as $35. When it's under $25, I always buy it.

One of the most wintergreen/pine-scented Ryes around (moreso than even the LDI stuff). Totally different beast than the WT101 Rye - smooth and enjoyable, but not brash and explosive like others.

I pretty much drink Rye or Scotch 70% of the time. The rest is for bourbon or tequila/mezcal.

Glad to see this thread.

My Rye collection outguns the bourbons by 4 or 5 to 1. I've still got lots of bourbon, but Rye is my true love!

Had some Saz 18 last night, and followed it with a pick me up of Ritt BIB. Amazing how well Ritt can hold up against and 18 year bottle that cost nearly 3-4 times as much!

Had some Saz 18 last night, and followed it with a pick me up of Ritt BIB. Amazing how well Ritt can hold up against and 18 year bottle that cost nearly 3-4 times as much!

Heh, well, I'd happily trade you 4 Ritt BIBs for 1 Saz 18. I like the Ritt a lot and am working through a bottle now, but I can't get enough of that older rye profile.

I like it a lot but I'm probably in the minority here. It doesn't bear a huge resemblance to the 101 rye (which I also like as a general rule).

Had a Jefferson's Rye on Friday - tasted like hairspray to me at the time, but for some awful reason I want more.

Heh, well, I'd happily trade you 4 Ritt BIBs for 1 Saz 18. I like the Ritt a lot and am working through a bottle now, but I can't get enough of that older rye profile.

I agree - but it's nice to have the various choices!

Have you had Vintage Rye 21 or Van Winkle Rye? Those two have their own unique and exceptional profiles.

I had the Vintage Rye 21 at a bar a couple of months ago and found it to be extraordinary (though see White Dog's post about how it does over time). I have a bottle of the VWFRR but haven't opened it yet. I read a very, very long thread here a few days ago, in which it was mentioned that half of the VW Rye is the same stuff in the Vintage Ryes.

Too bad about the one-note, mellow RR Rye. I'll probably get a High West next. Son of Bourye is out in my neighborhood for a reasonable $40.

Let's keep this thread going, fellow SBers. I'm having some VWFRR, since I've been lucky enough to pick up a few more bottles this month. As good as ever! Once Julian runs out of the vatting and goes all BT, this will be one sought after dusty!!!

I agree:toast: ...the more VWFRR the merrier and a very good time for all...but tonight, leaning in good on that new bottle of Lil Saz....good, very good. Maybe some room later for Ritt BIB...maybe....:drink:

I had a short pour of HW RM16. There's no denying its large rye character, but it really is wholly unique. It's hard for me to wrap my head around the fact that it's only 92pr; it's just so spicy, but without the heat I keep expecting. It's less oily than THH, and full bodied in a more even-keeled way. I think it's still opening up, so I'm taking it slow...

I'm going to ask in the Barton Rye thread if it was used in the Double Rye, because it definitely is reminiscent of some notes I found in there.

Had a little Saz 18 (11) to start then a baby Saz manhattan. I like the wheaters, but I find myself reaching for the ryes far more often.

I picked up a WT rye about a month ago just to give it a try. It seems like it has fair reviews here and the price is right for a rye beginner.

I wasn't overly impressed when I got it, but after leaving it alone for a month, it seems to have improved. I know it could just be my taster - but is rye affected by some air and bottle time?

I picked up a WT rye about a month ago just to give it a try. It seems like it has fair reviews here and the price is right for a rye beginner.

I wasn't overly impressed when I got it, but after leaving it alone for a month, it seems to have improved. I know it could just be my taster - but is rye affected by some air and bottle time?

The aged ryes may decline after opening, while for the younger ryes I've had recently - Ritt BiB, Redemption, and, so far, the RR Rye - a little time helps them out. I didn't notice any difference with the Rendezvous Rye.

One major exception to the rule for older ryes is the Saz 18. It's been kept in steel tanks for the past 6 years and has not gotten notably worse, or so I've heard. The stock got shifted a few years ago to smaller tanks, allowing exposure to less air, but for a year or two it was in a 13,500 gallon tank, likely leaving plenty of room for oxidation.

Got a bottle of Bulliett the other day. I favor rye flavors in my bourbon, but the Bulliett Rye seems real thin and lifeless to me. I guess I'm missing the corn.

I had a 1/2 bottle of MM46 that was gifted to me and I'm not a fan of wheaters. Anyway - a 2:1 mix of MM46 and Bulliett Rye proved to be one of the best drinks I've had a in a long time. I may make this blend a regular in my rotation.

Had a little VWFRR last night, followed by some Willett 4 y/o (LDI juice).

Very interesting to put those two together.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.