What rye are you enjoying? - Winter 2012

sob0728
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Had some Ritt BIB, Jefferson's 10 yr, Baby Saz, and Saz 18 tonight. Saz 18 was as exceptional as I remember, and though very different, I really like Jefferson's and Baby Saz, but in that line-up Ritt did absolutely nothing for me.

Tonight, a 3-stage rye rocket, in order of ignition: 1) Saz Jr; 2) THH; 3) Bowman

Tonight, a 3-stage rye rocket, in order of ignition: 1) Saz Jr; 2) THH; 3) Bowman

Would you posts your thoughts of the THH vs Bowman? I would be interested in hearing your impressions having had them back to back.

Very nice BT line up. :yum:

Would you posts your thoughts of the THH vs Bowman? I would be interested in hearing your impressions having had them back to back.

This is the 2d time I have done this lineup with the only difference is that I left out the Ritt BIB this time around. The first time, about 2 weeks ago, I noticed a distinct difference between them. The Bowman was definitely a cut above but both had a number of similarities just the same. The Bowman was smoother along with a more 'ripe' rye feel to the palate without the ever so slight burn I notice with Handy. My normal mode of operation is to cut the barrel proofs down to a comfortable 98-100 but I miscalculated a bit and had them about 102-104. The Handy kept that slightly wicked bite that was missing in the Bowman and it was evident that the age made a difference.

Last night, in my 2d run of this lineup, I did cut them both to around 99-100. For whatever reason, I almost could not tell the difference between them. Both were more like the Bowman the first time around. I am not too good with science but I do wonder if the slightly heavier water cut sliced too deeply to 'tame' the Handy. You would not think such a small change would make that much difference though. Maybe my palate was just off a bit last night. I will be doing a repeat performance tomorrow night and post further results then.

I hope all this rambling gibberish is of some usefulness. Perhaps a more seasoned veteran and one who can better verbalize their taste impressions will give this a try & let us know.

I cracked a bottle of High West 16. I was interested in trying this one due to it being ultra aged and such a high rye content. It is very tasty and quite unique. This whiskey is definitely not for everyone though and giving it to a novice might be disastrous.

To me, this whiskey has strong spice, a nice wood flavor that is neither astringent nor overpowering, and a hint of menthol and pine in there somewhere. Not much sweetness in this one and definitely not one I would reach for every day, but when in the mood for rye, more rye, and still more rye, this is it. However, it is more expensive than Saz 18 and VWFRR which are, in my opinion, superior whiskeys and utterly drinkable at any hour of any day.

Just sampled some High West Double rye at a tasting tonight, and walked out with a bottle. Seriously fantastic stuff! It has replaced the Ri1 as my favorite rye (no I haven't had the privelige of trying any of the Sezarac stuff yet).

Just sampled some High West Double rye at a tasting tonight, and walked out with a bottle. Seriously fantastic stuff! It has replaced the Ri1 as my favorite rye (no I haven't had the privelige of trying any of the Sezarac stuff yet).

Ah, phooey, I missed that tasting. The wife and I were at a happy hour and then shopping for a friend's b-day present. Did you have any other of the High West stable?

Killed my local bar's bottle of Vintage 23 Rye. I like the Vintage 21 about a hundred billion times better. I didn't get much in the way of rye at all, just varnish and bitterness. I did get some floral stuff in the nose but it was not vibrant or complex like the 21 year.

This weekend I killed off a Willet 3 year old rye and a VWFRR. The barrel-proof Willet clocked in at 113.9pf but shined brought down to 100pf or so. Beautiful confectioner's sweet mint, though it still carried that hint of dill. Not very complex, but quite robust and satisfying. I had a really bad cold at the beginning of the year and it was the only thing in my cabinet that inched its way past my deadened senses.

The VWFRR... I'm running out of ways to phrase it: an absolutely unforgettable classic.

Am I the only one drinking Pikesville rye or is it really that hard to get? I stock up every time I go to Baltimore.

Am I the only one drinking Pikesville rye or is it really that hard to get? I stock up every time I go to Baltimore.

[Ah, phooey, I missed that tasting. The wife and I were at a happy hour and then shopping for a friend's b-day present. Did you have any other of the High West stable?/QUOTE]

Sure did! They had their own version of what is essentially White Dog rye. With the exception of Georgia Moon Corn Whiskey, I've never tried any of these raw whiskeys before. The High West version was palatable, but barely. They also had the Son of Bourye samples, which is a rye-bourbon mix. I liked it, but not nearly as well as the Double Rye. It seemed very sweet compared to the beautifully balanced Double Rye.

[Ah, phooey, I missed that tasting. The wife and I were at a happy hour and then shopping for a friend's b-day present. Did you have any other of the High West stable?/QUOTE]

Sure did! They had their own version of what is essentially White Dog rye. With the exception of Georgia Moon Corn Whiskey, I've never tried any of these raw whiskeys before. The High West version was palatable, but barely. They also had the Son of Bourye samples, which is a rye-bourbon mix. I liked it, but not nearly as well as the Double Rye. It seemed very sweet compared to the beautifully balanced Double Rye.

Awesome, that is exactly what I wanted to hear, seeing that the Double Rye is about $10 less than the SOB :) I've just had their Rendezvous Rye but was looking to branch out a bit.

Any luck yet with the Sazerac? I saw that the DLC got some in, but they stashed them in out-of-the-way stores.

Found some Ritt BIB last weekend.

Wow.

This is about as close to liquid candy I've found yet. And $21.99 / 750.

It would, of course, have to be hard to find.

Rich

High West Rendezvous...thin, rye 'lite', marginal at best...still unimpressed...slowly but surely trying to get rid of the remainder. Following with Ritt BIB to push the HW on thru the system and finish the night strong.

Shared some 2011 Handy with friends while watching Archer tonight. They were quite impressed.

I enjoy TTH much more than Saz 18. It is underrated, but overpriced. BTW, Archer is one of the best shows on.

I had some ND Old Overholt and some VWFRR.

The VW is so creamy, fruit and strong.

The OH is different, but still nice. You can taste the years, in a very good way, on the VW, and in comparison the OH seems a less complex. I don't have much rye literacy, but this OH is still a nice whiskey.

I have had the pleasure of some HW 21yo rye, HW 16yo rye and Saz18 2011 tonight.

The HW 21yo is WOWIE. It's been some time since I've had a sample, but tonight's bites were so much more spicy than I expected. The nose and the finish are drenched in wet, fruity vanilla cake and there's much more spice on the palate than I remembered. The 16yo packs a very impressive spice kick for 92pf, and the Saz18 is undoubtably reminiscent of VWFRR.

All delicate ryes proofed at < 100, but each has a lot to say when your taste buds can stand at attention and listen. I've been away from whiskey for five days before this, so I was prime for some under-proofed, ultra-aged ryes, and I'm loving it!

Enjoying some Pikesville and Handy I just picked up! :grin: :grin: :grin:

Wow, that's a big step up in proof, right?! What do you think of the Handy?

Wow, that's a big step up in proof, right?! What do you think of the Handy?

Although I still consider myself a relative newbie in becoming a real whiskey enthusiast, I don't think it is an understatement to say that the Handy is the best whiskey I've ever had by a long shot. I love the combination of the intense rye spice and the delicious anchoring honey notes. Two enthusiastic thumbs up!

I tried the Baby Saz recently too (thanks for the tip!) and I like it equal to my two favorite bourbons, EC12 and ETL. All pale in comparison to the Handy though!

Although I still consider myself a relative newbie in becoming a real whiskey enthusiast, I don't think it is an understatement to say that the Handy is the best whiskey I've ever had by a long shot.

You have an astute palate, even seasoned vets give Handy a nod. Personally, while not a veteran, I have tried many ryes and bourbons and Handy still ranks in the upper echelon.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.