What rye are you enjoying? - Winter 2012

sob0728
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm comparing 1 oz pours of WT 101 Rye vs. Riit BIB rye. I've had the Ritt before, but hadn't tried the WTR until the "rush" on the board here. I think I Ritt better so far, but will post results 2 oz's from now. :grin:

Sipping on a recent Baby Saz. I think it may be better at 90 proof than my '10 Handy is, cut to the same proof.

I'm comparing 1 oz pours of WT 101 Rye vs. Riit BIB rye. I've had the Ritt before, but hadn't tried the WTR until the "rush" on the board here. I think I Ritt better so far, but will post results 2 oz's from now. :grin:

Ahem... and the verdict is? Can you include some tasting notes, too?

I've been drinking the WT 101 almost everynight lately. I find many ryes to be too "thin", making the spice seem unbalanced. This is not the case with WT. Also, I've been drinking it with a small splash of water from a rocks glass instead of a Riedel or Glencairn. After about ten minutes in the glass, I pick up a sort of cream and brown sugar thing along with the spice that I don't in my normal tasting glass. I feel like its a drinking whiskey vs tasting whiskey if that makes any sense, and very enjoyable indeed.

Ritt BIB tonight. My taste is a bit off from congestion, but it is still tasting fine tonight.

I recently cracked open my RH BIB and THH. They have such different tastes. Obviously the RH is smoother,but the THH has alot of flavor.

It still doesnt compare to PVFR Rye. I got spoiled because it was my first rye whiskey. I have been comparing to that ever since.

Ritt BIB tonight. Good, solid pour. Also, I recently discovered that they have this stuff coming out their ears around St. Louis. Makes me jealous.

I finished off my HW Double Rye! tonight. Enjoyed that bottle very much. Now on to a Ritt BIB or a Handy.

Can't get the HW products in Texas, but I had some Double Rye while working in New Mexico last year (mail ordering liquor is a nice thing)..I like the Double Rye but I think the Bulleit is just as good. I understand HW is now distilling their own rye. Hopefully we will see some aged rye in a few years from them.

While you may not have been able to find our products in the Lone Star State you soon will! We just appointed a distributor, and their first orders ship within the next week.

Picked up a baby Saz today. I'd forgotten just how much I enjoy this.

Saw boatloads of it down in New Orleans last week...$21.99. :bigeyes:

Saw boatloads of it down in New Orleans last week...$21.99. :bigeyes:

I saw it at what I always thought was a reasonable local shop for $29.99 this week. :shocked:

Started with a Saz 18 and then a pour of Handy. There was nothing broken in either glass.

TH Handy to finish things out. Man, I always love this whiskey. But, at times like now, it is simply Nirvana. :yum:

I'm really hitting a stride with the HW 16yo Rocky Mountain Rye. The spice kicks you in the ass, but the more delicate flavors are easy to overlook. When I decide to do a formal tasting, I set aside a good 30 minutes to do nothing but look at, smell and taste a whiskey, and put pen to paper. When I'm drinking more casually I pay attention to the taste, but I'm usually doing something else at the same time that distracts me a bit from what's in the glass. Thinking a taste through all the way to a written conclusion, while not always the most laid back affair, allows me to draw pleasure from a good whiskey that I might overlook if I was involved with another activity.

But anyway, right now I'm appreciating this 80% rye more than ever before.

More and more a fan of Baby Saz every time I try it. Delicious. And didn't feel bad about opening one since there are now several in the bunker. No question in my mind it is my favorite rye. Better than WT, RITT, Jeffersons, etc. Handy can give it a run, but honestly considering the prices here, I can get 3 baby Saz for the price of an 18 at the same proof. Give me the baby Saz as far as I'm concerned!!!

I'm really hitting a stride with the HW 16yo Rocky Mountain Rye.

My favorite spirit of any kind. Wunderbar.

A highlight for me at WhiskyFest last night was having a chat with David Perkins. He was super-friendly and personable. The 21-year old rye he was pouring was, of course, excellent, and I got to taste their barreled manhattan, which was good, but would have been better if it was chilled.

I also got to taste the Son of Bourye. It was much more integrated than how I remember the Bourye. The Bourye tasted like a bourbon and a rye with a wall between them. SoB tastes more like just one whiskey.

I think I'm going to have to make it a point to pick up a bottle of the Bourye before there aren't any more left.

I also had a chance to meet MrViognier. Great to see you Mat!

While you may not have been able to find our products in the Lone Star State you soon will! We just appointed a distributor, and their first orders ship within the next week.

this is GREAT news! :grin: i take it the distributor is republic?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.