What rye are you enjoying? - Winter 2012

sob0728
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

A very productive day, thanks to Wisconsin. So, a Fleischmann's Rye is in order. The wonderful thing I am noticing from this Fleischmann's, as I get deeper into the bottle, is it has the most wonderfully clean, crisp, nose and flavor profile. Almost, like freshly laundered sheets that have been hung up to air dry on the clothes line in the back yard. It's not soapy or perfumy...just really...fresh. :yum: X 2

A very productive day, thanks to Wisconsin. So, a Fleischmann's Rye is in order. The wonderful thing I am noticing from this Fleischmann's, as I get deeper into the bottle, is it has the most wonderfully clean, crisp, nose and flavor profile. Almost, like freshly laundered sheets that have been hung up to air dry on the clothes line in the back yard. It's not soapy or perfumy...just really...fresh. :yum: X 2

I had a friend who was up in Madison look for Fleischmann's rye for me to no avail. Is this product distributed throughout WI? Any places to find it in Madison (she goes up there every few months or so)? Thanks.

I had a friend who was up in Madison look for Fleischmann's rye for me to no avail. Is this product distributed throughout WI? Any places to find it in Madison (she goes up there every few months or so)? Thanks.

You won't find this in Madison or Milwaukee. It seems to start in Sheboygan county and north up to Green Bay. And on shelf it's always next to Stephen Foster Rye, the 30-month-old 80proofer from HH. It's all very bizarre.:lol:

Somewhere in my foggy memory, it seems I read or heard where this is not available in the Southland. It has not kept me from searching for it though thru the years...no trace yet. I think it will take a trip into the northern latitudes to find some. If I am wrong, let me know....thanx!

Ritt BIB at the moment soon to be followed by some more good ole Bowman from TPS. It was so very good last night, I see no reason to change the routine before the pillow beckons me.

Had a pour of HW DR followed by a pour of the HW OMG. Love the DR!! The OMG is unlike anything i have tasted, jury is still out. The Hemingway is burning good with a pour of Double Rye! at the moment.

Gonna have to give that HWDR a try. I am easing up on my harsh criticism of HW with a healthy pour of Rendezvous tonite. It is a little tastier than previous pours and seems to have better finish. Jury still out, but I am inching closer to giving HW some more rolls of the dice.

Anyhow, think I'll follow the normal Friday rye routine and chase the HW with some VWFRR. After that, I plan to come to the fork in the road with THH going one way, Bowman the other...we'll see when the time comes which road is best that leads to the beckoning pillow.:drink:

Finishing off my bottle of HW Rendezvous with a Healthy healthy pour. Enjoyed this bottle more and

more as it went.

Willett's four year old rye (with a dark color that suggests it could even be older), courtesy my friend Gary Hodder.

Right off the bat I guessed the Indiana origin - honest! (Gary showed me the rear label's small script after). It has a slight "BlueTide" note, a signature of rye from Lawrenceburg IMO, but on a seamless caramel/buttery background. A near perfect shot of rye I'd say.

Was more than one barrel bottled?

Gary

Willett's four year old rye (with a dark color that suggests it could even be older), courtesy my friend Gary Hodder.

Right off the bat I guessed the Indiana origin - honest! (Gary showed me the rear label's small script after). It has a slight "BlueTide" note, a signature of rye from Lawrenceburg IMO, but on a seamless caramel/buttery background. A near perfect shot of rye I'd say.

Was more than one barrel bottled?

Gary

Thanks Thad. I'll get the barrel number from Gary of his bottle just for reference, since it was superlative. I meant a scent of sea breeze and soap, it's a light accent but I find it in every LDI rye I've had. This bottling seemed older than any I had earlier and accordingly the scent and taste were lighter, but still there, IMO.

By the way Gary and our tasting partner Les (both of whom have appeared at the odd Gazebo in recent years) agreed with me that the blending of this rye 50-50 with Les's current Lot B made an incredible dram.

Gary

Willett 4 year 110 proof Rye from Spec's. A tiny splash of water or 1 ice cube and I am good to go!

I've been enjoying WT101 Rye since getting the last two at a local store yesterday. Today I tried mixing WT101 5:2:1 with VWFRR and water. I like this mixture but will play with the ratio a bit. The VW adds just a little wood to the brash youth of the WT.

Today I tried mixing WT101 5:2:1 with VWFRR and water.

I find myself scratching my head and spitting out wads of the bile I just puked up in my mouth after reading this. I am astounded that anyone would think to mix VWFRR with anything, let alone a 4 year old WTR.

I'll allow that I did have a bottle of VWFRR which was clearly a dud, so if that's the case with your bottle, more power to your mixing. If it's anything like the last two bottles I had from the 2011 allocation, however, my only recourse is to :banghead:

I find myself scratching my head and spitting out wads of the bile I just puked up in my mouth after reading this. I am astounded that anyone would think to mix VWFRR with anything, let alone a 4 year old WTR.

I'll allow that I did have a bottle of VWFRR which was clearly a dud, so if that's the case with your bottle, more power to your mixing. If it's anything like the last two bottles I had from the 2011 allocation, however, my only recourse is to :banghead:

:lol: :lol: :lol: I must say that I agree with you. While I've never had a dud VWFRR, even if I did I can't imagine doing this.

Willett 3yr. Definitely taste the LDI character, but more rounded and sweeter than Bulleit. I'm getting a little dill on the finish, but it's not overpowering and just pops up enough to impart a charming character. Glad my wife decided to grab this one. She's a keeper! :grin:

This bottle was not a dud, just down to the last little bit. I got to the last pour of my bottle and filled a 50ml glass bottle that I use to keep valued "last pours". There was about 10 ml left over that didn't fit into the small bottle, and was not really enough for a pour of it's own. So I vatted 25 ml WT, 10 ml VW, and 5 ml water. Everytime I try a blend of something, I write down the particulars. When my next bottle of VWFRR gets to the same place, I will try something along the same lines with a slightly different ratio. Don't get yourself in a panic, it was 10ml we are talking about. Not all blend/vattings are bottles, sometimes its simply a few drops of something. These small amount blends are a unique opportunuty to try things you may not normally try.

I like to mix my VWFRR with Red Bull.

Van Winkle gives you wings!

:slappin::slappin::lol::lol::slappin::slappin:

I also can't imagine blending VWFRR with anything else. Nectar of the gods diluted in anything else just gets you less to enjoy.

I poured some WT101 rye and Bulleit rye tonight to see if I should go out to pick up a bunch of WTR before they're gone for good.

The bulleit smells better out of the bottle: nice spice with a floral character, some mint, and a bit of grassiness. It actually reminds me of HH products. As it sits an herbal character starts to really develop.

The Wild turkey doesn't smell integrated in the bottle. It smells like rye whiskey mixed with corn whiskey with little integration. After some time in the glass the aroma melds a bit leaving a corn sweetness on top of a touch of grassiness. While I like corn whiskey, the corn is a bit too dominant here for my nose.

In the mouth, the spice comes across more in the bulleit than the WTR. There's a bit of sweetness in the bulleit that helps to balance the spice, but not nearly as much as the WTR.

The WTR seems more viscous on the tongue.

Overall I prefer the Bulleit rye which surprises me a bit. I like the higher proof of the WTR, which has led to its abundant use in cocktails in the house. I've got a few bottles put away, but it seems like I'll just look for some more high proof LDI rye.

Later this week I'll compare the WTR to Ritt BiB to see how the high proofs stack up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.