Band on/Band off

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

To unband or not to unband? That is the question!  

1. 1. To unband or not to unband? That is the question!

• Band on
    • Band off
    • What's a cigar band?

When you're enjoying one of your favorite cigars, do you remove the band right away or leave it on for all the world to see? I personally see no reason to remove the band until it begins to interfere with the smoke. If I am still smoking the cigar when the ash reaches the band I know I have a good one, and the act of removing the band at this point often leads to deep reflections on how good the first 2/3's of the cigar made me feel smirk.gif What do you do?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I typically slip the band off b/c I like to collect them...If I take it off right away then I wont forget too!

-Brian

• 2 months later...

In some portions of the world (Europe) it is polite to take off the band, as not to offend others who may be smoking lesser smokes. It is considered arrogant to leave the band on.

However, I am a raging, true blue American, so I like to show off wink.gif In reality, it doesn't matter. If I am in a crown of people I don't know, I leave it on, so that I may have the opportunity to catch the eye of a fellow cigar smoker and strike up conversation. If I am alone or with my buddies, I just take it off.

I usually take it off at the beginning rather than stop midway and remove it. Although I set the band off to the side if its a new smoke for me in case I really like and then I'll keep it. I have a collection of my favorite bands I carry in my wallet instead of pictures. bandit.gif

• 3 weeks later...

I believe it really depends on the circumstances one is under. If i were at a social gathering, enjoying a cigar and a snifter of bookers, i would make it a point to remove the band about halfway. if im outside walking the dog, i see no need to remove the band. and if the band is stubborn, its staying on.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally, I ALWAYS remove the band. Some of the bands are incredibly ornate, and I occasionally like to peruse my band collection and recollect some of the various cigars I've smoked. This is especially true when someone asks me to recommend a cigar that has certain characteristics. I dump the collection out onto my desk, and search through it for brands that will deliver the qualities sought after.

Furthermore, most of my cigars are either premium or ultra-premium. If it's an amazing cigar, I will want to smoke it wayyyyyy past the point where the band rests. This is called "Nubbing It." I have come dangerously close to burning my fingers and lips on an Ashton VSG, a Cohiba XV, and the like.

Now....... some bands slip right off, and some are real boogers. Why is that, and what is the best way to remove a band without damaging the delicate wrapper?

Cigars will naturally shrink a little bit as they age. A freshly rolled cigar will have the band very tightly adhered to the cigar. A very old cigar on the other hand will usually have a little bit of room to work with, under the band. Most of the time, there will be just a tiny bit of space between the band and the barrel of the cigar.

I remove the band right after I remove the cellophane (before clipping). To do this, I push with one finger against the band around the entire circumference of the cigar. It only takes a lap or two to liberate the band from the wrapper where it might be stuck. Once the band is "mobile," I carefully work it toward the head of the cigar until it's off. Just be careful of where the band meets seams in the wrapper, or when it encounters the edge of the cap. When working the band off, it is possible to slice through the wrapper; and you don't want to damage either the band or the cigar.

I usually remove the band within the first inch of smoking the cigar. i let the cigar heat up a bit so any glue that got onto the cigar from the band wont stick and tear the wrapper

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.