Current High West Rezendevous Rye's

trumpstylz
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I had read in another thread that the current (last year or so) high west Rezendevous's have been a letdown. My buddy had also confirmed this. is there any way to find the good ones still?

He said his didn't have the silver sticker "2008 spirits competitiion" sticker on the bottle. is there a way to tell which bottles are oldies but goodies? Does the sticker mean its from a previous dumping?

Thanks for the timely post. I was not aware of this and was going to order myself a bottle of the rendezvous and a bottle of the 16 to try. I will hold off on the rendezvous until I hear more about what the deal is.

Don't know bout the 16yo, but I would spend money elsewhere than on the Rendezvous. If you must get HW, try the less expensive Double Rye first. They tell me it has more for the palate. For the same or less money, I would get a couple of Ritt BIBs or a 1B 4R...private bottle if you can find one.

Does the sticker mean its from a previous dumping?

PS I mean "does the sticker mean its from a NEWER dumping?"

Don't know bout the 16yo, but I would spend money elsewhere than on the Rendezvous. If you must get HW, try the less expensive Double Rye first. They tell me it has more for the palate. For the same or less money, I would get a couple of Ritt BIBs or a 1B 4R...private bottle if you can find one.

I dont know much about the double rye, but I was under the impression that the rezendevous was definitely the superior product, but with the newer stuff I'm not so sure.

PS I mean "does the sticker mean its from a NEWER dumping?"

I was under the impression, that it was all the same. Perhaps a tanking difference?

I think the 16 and 21 are excellent. The hard part is finding them at a fair price.

Mind sharing your fair price point? I've seen these on a very limited basis, and it would be nice to get a range idea.

Thanks

B

I haven't had any Rendezvous for over a year and a half, so I have no idea what the latest stuff is like. I had a bottle in hand a few weeks ago, ready to check out, when I caught the gaze of my favorite whiskey-slinger over the shelf in the next aisle and he mumbled something about having a Pappy 20 for me. I perked up, he went to the back of the store and came back with a Pappy 20 and a VWFRR. Needless to say, I put the Rendezvous back!

But I did notice that the bottle has a pretty extensive batch number. It also said that you could call the distillery to find out exactly where the whiskey in your batch came from, though I don't know what that would mean in terms of how it's going to taste.

I wasn't a fan of the Double Rye! It had some nice cinnaminty notes, but the waxy texture turned me off. I really enjoyed the Rendezvous though, in 2009-10 anyway.

I picked up some of the 16yr Rocky Mountain for $90 recently. It's not what I was expecting and I haven't dug too deeply into my bottle yet, but it's pretty unique. It's only 92 proof, but it sustains the same intense spice that I get in Handy Rye at 120+ proof. $90 is definitely steep, but it really is a one-of-a-kind rye, and HW is a saint for not chill filtering it.

The 21yr rye goes for $130 around here. I didn't realize it until just the other day, but the 21yr is not straight rye, it was actually aged in used cooperage. I have had the pleasure of tasting it on a few occasions, and I remember it as pure sparkling liquid gold, the smoothest whiskey I've ever guzzled. I recall that it lacked the complexity of other aged ryes like Saz18, and not a touch of the heavy oak I've encountered with the Vintage Rye 23.

The only reason that you can still find the 16 and the 21 on the shelves is that the prices seem to be pushed just enough to make them easy passes, at least for awhile. I've been getting antsy about them lately, which is why I picked up that 16yr.

Mind sharing your fair price point? I've seen these on a very limited basis, and it would be nice to get a range idea.

Thanks

B

I dont know much about the double rye, but I was under the impression that the rezendevous was definitely the superior product, but with the newer stuff I'm not so sure.

Supposed to be. A store clerk who got a tasting of both back in the fall like the Dbbl Rye better as well as a customer who bought same when I bought my Rendezvous. So, I was just going from 2 opinions which like mine, are tiny drops in an ocean of palates.

I would love to know what kind of notes appear on the 16 and 21 products. I have seen a few 21 bottles around here but no 16. So far, I am not much on the LDI and Barton rye products...maybe it has to grow on you over a period of time...kind of like Saz did to me a few years ago.

I haven't had any Rendezvous for over a year and a half, so I have no idea what the latest stuff is like. I had a bottle in hand a few weeks ago, ready to check out, when I caught the gaze of my favorite whiskey-slinger over the shelf in the next aisle and he mumbled something about having a Pappy 20 for me. I perked up, he went to the back of the store and came back with a Pappy 20 and a VWFRR. Needless to say, I put the Rendezvous back!

But I did notice that the bottle has a pretty extensive batch number. It also said that you could call the distillery to find out exactly where the whiskey in your batch came from, though I don't know what that would mean in terms of how it's going to taste.

I wasn't a fan of the Double Rye! It had some nice cinnaminty notes, but the waxy texture turned me off. I really enjoyed the Rendezvous though, in 2009-10 anyway.

I picked up some of the 16yr Rocky Mountain for $90 recently. It's not what I was expecting and I haven't dug too deeply into my bottle yet, but it's pretty unique. It's only 92 proof, but it sustains the same intense spice that I get in Handy Rye at 120+ proof. $90 is definitely steep, but it really is a one-of-a-kind rye, and HW is a saint for not chill filtering it.

The 21yr rye goes for $130 around here. I didn't realize it until just the other day, but the 21yr is not straight rye, it was actually aged in used cooperage. I have had the pleasure of tasting it on a few occasions, and I remember it as pure sparkling liquid gold, the smoothest whiskey I've ever guzzled. I recall that it lacked the complexity of other aged ryes like Saz18, and not a touch of the heavy oak I've encountered with the Vintage Rye 23.

The only reason that you can still find the 16 and the 21 on the shelves is that the prices seem to be pushed just enough to make them easy passes, at least for awhile. I've been getting antsy about them lately, which is why I picked up that 16yr.

I've been fascinated by the 21yr as well. The fact that it's not a straight, due to the used cooperage, only adds to the mystique. I've only had this on 3 occasions, as I do not own a bottle, but I think it's well worth the price. Great stuff! It's only because most Bourbon/Rye is so underpriced that people think $130 is crazy. If this was a 21yr Scotch...

Thanks everybody for the pricing and tasting notes on this. The "vibrant" comment certainly does raise some interest to me with the 21yr, not often you here that type of comment with a item that old.

Certainly could have to do with the used cooperage, much like scotch, it may allow the spirit to age a bit more slowly and keep it's youth longer than a similar new barrel.

Might have to pull the trigger on these.

B

It's interesting to me that the Canadian producers continue to resist the idea of offering their flavoring whiskeys as straights, because they believe the whiskeys aren't good that way, yet companies such as High West, Whistle Pig, and Templeton have had great success with them. It's much like the way American producers resisted offering older bourbons and ryes, even when they had them, until the consumers practically forced them to.

Thanks everybody for the pricing and tasting notes on this. The "vibrant" comment certainly does raise some interest to me with the 21yr, not often you here that type of comment with a item that old.

Certainly could have to do with the used cooperage, much like scotch, it may allow the spirit to age a bit more slowly and keep it's youth longer than a similar new barrel.

Might have to pull the trigger on these.

B

Next time I'm in town for more than 24 hours I'd be happy to pour you some!

Yep, I did. David Perkins and I are both Georgia Boys who went into the alcohol business. I've known David for nearly 25 years (through a mutual friend), and am proud to have been the one responsible for introducing High West to MN.

Late last year David and I began to talk about our plans for the future; one thing lead to another, and I'm now on board at High West as their Sales & Marketing Manager.

When I closed my winery I always knew I'd eventually get back on the supplier side. I've been offered plenty of great opportunities with wineries and importers around the globe...all of which I've turned down. When David asked if I'd be interested in joining his team, it was a truly natural thing to say "yes".

And let me tell you...I'm loving it!

Yep, I did. David Perkins and I are both Georgia Boys who went into the alcohol business. I've known David for nearly 25 years (through a mutual friend), and am proud to have been the one responsible for introducing High West to MN.

Late last year David and I began to talk about our plans for the future; one thing lead to another, and I'm now on board at High West as their Sales & Marketing Manager.

When I closed my winery I always knew I'd eventually get back on the supplier side. I've been offered plenty of great opportunities with wineries and importers around the globe...all of which I've turned down. When David asked if I'd be interested in joining his team, it was a truly natural thing to say "yes".

And let me tell you...I'm loving it!

Congratulations! High West is a great operation.

I had read in another thread that the current (last year or so) high west Rezendevous's have been a letdown. My buddy had also confirmed this. is there any way to find the good ones still?

He said his didn't have the silver sticker "2008 spirits competitiion" sticker on the bottle. is there a way to tell which bottles are oldies but goodies? Does the sticker mean its from a previous dumping?

Is this even possible? I thought that the Pioneer Blender had the skills to turn goat piss into gold medals?

I'm stunned.

• 2 weeks later...

Never mind. I talked to my buddy and it turned out just to be a rotten cork. No need to hoard.

• 2 weeks later...

I think its mostly because the rezendevous "is not distilled by them."

Which I feel to be a stupid argument- good stuff is good no matter where it comes from.

And I think I remember Hansell taking a lot of flack and controversy for giving them Whisk(e)y pioneer of the year.

I think its mostly because the rezendevous "is not distilled by them."

Guess for those folks that means Willett, PVW, Vintage et al are of lesser ilk too? :rolleyes:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.