WT Rye 81 proof?!

Josh
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Something weird on the newest supplemental Michigan liquor list this month (yes I know half my new threads are about stuff on the state list:rolleyes: ). Wild Turkey Rye 101 has been removed and an 81 proof Wild Turkey Rye had been added. Has a new 81 proof version been released or is it switching to 81 proof or is this a mistake? Anybody seen this mysterious WTR 81?

I haven't heard anything. I hope it's a mistake. For one thing, they already have RR rye at 90 proof. It also seems like an unlikely move. Why fix something that isn't broken?

This is probably just a mistake. I imagine it's the 81 proof bourbon that's replacing the 80 proof. I imagine (and hope) someone just messed up. If not, I'll be buying a case of the WT 101 Rye, which I think is damn fine whiskey.

I'll start hoarding too if there is a change in proof. I'll wipe out all the local state stores!

Has anyone contacted WT?

D'oh. That would be the obvious thing to do, wouldn't it?

Just posted on their FB page.

• 4 weeks later...

I just heard a rumor that WT RYE101 is indeed going away in order to move the focus towards RR Rye. Did not hear anything about a WT Rye 81, but in any event I think this is bad news.

I recently obtained a dusty bottle of RR101, and am amazed by how much better it is than the 90pr. And now, my dusty WT Rye 101 will also blow away the 90pr.

If this is true, it's quite a sad day.:hot:

I just heard a rumor that WT RYE101 is indeed going away in order to move the focus towards RR Rye. Did not hear anything about a WT Rye 81, but in any event I think this is bad news.

I recently obtained a dusty bottle of RR101, and am amazed by how much better it is than the 90pr. And now, my dusty WT Rye 101 will also blow away the 90pr.

If this is true, it's quite a sad day.:hot:

Interesting. I would have thought that they sell 3 or 4 times as much of the 101 rye over Russel's Reserve.

A completely unscientific online review of the state stores in my county show only half have WTRye and those that do are showing low stock. Every store usually has at least 8-10 bottles listed. :bigeyes: Given Rye's growing popularity, this could just be a blip on the radar....that being said, I'm headed to the store.

Just checked the NC ABC price list and WT Rye 81 has taken the place of 101. Time to go pick up a couple bottles of the 101...

The PA LCB website now officially lists the WTRye as 81 proof.

The WT website still shows it as being 101 proof and the website seems to have been recently up dated. It shows the bottles with the new tops on them.

The PALCB has made significant errors in the past. One of the more notable ones concerned their listing for William Larue Weller at an incredibly low price. They were actually referring to Weller Antique.

Here is another example of questionable listings by the PALCB.

They have 2 listings for Wild Turkey Tradition 14 yr bourbon. Both listings are for 750 ml bottles. One is for 101 proof and the cost is $63.99. The other is for 80 proof and it is $104.09. In addition, it is special order and you must buy 6 bottles.

They have 2 listings for Wild Turkey Tradition 14 yr bourbon. Both listings are for 750 ml bottles. One is for 101 proof and the cost is $63.99. The other is for 80 proof and it is $104.09. In addition, it is special order and you must buy 6 bottles.

Unless PA has placed a call to NC and MI asking for them to update the listing for WT Rye, their past issues don't mean much here.

I just talked to the manager of my closest liquor store and he said but could not confirm that the rye was going to 81. So I bought several bottles. Another one bites the dusty.

Under most circumstances, I would be with Fricky. When I started this thread, I thought it would be proven to be a mistake fairly quickly. But with three states listing 81 proof WT Rye and Enoch's store owner, it's starting to look like it really is changing.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.