WT Rye 81 proof?!

Josh
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Well that pretty much does it.:hot:

Not a fan of Baby Saz, and while I like RittBIB, it's not very Rye-y to me. WT101Rye was my favorite go-to, everyday Rye.

Plus, Ritt and Baby Saz are never on the shelf. I could always find Turkey.

Good luck hunting.

I can't attach images from my phone but I sent a pic of the new label to Josh. Looks like I wasnt the only one searching the COLA site. :grin:

What a depressing thread. Thanks a lot, Josh!

You're welcome! :grin: :grin: :grin:

And thanks to the legions searching thru the COLA website.:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Here is the official word.

Wild Turkey Rye 81 proof will be launched in the US, Australia and Japan this year.

Wild Turkey Rye 101 is not being discontinued. In fact, it has surged in popularity, up 20%, and as such is on allocation. That's why it is in short supply in some markets.

Wild Turkey Rye 81 proof will be launched in the US, Australia and Japan this year.

Wild Turkey Rye 101 is not being discontinued. In fact, it has surged in popularity, up 20%, and as such is on allocation. That's why it is in short supply in some markets.

That is the BEST news I have heard all day! I just bought two bottles and was going to bunker them....now I get to crack one open! Happy days are here again!

Unfortunately Chuck, it has been dropped in Michigan.

Not sure how difficult it is to get back on the list but the State usually doesn't drop and add a product due to limited allocation. Certainly if demand was up, they would keep it on the list.

Down the road, I hope I am proven wrong.

Tim

Printing labels so fast that there's no time to stop the presses and switch to the new one, and thus no point in submitting a COLA application for that?

Because if you search the TTB database, from 15 March 2011 (application for the new 101 bourbon label) through today, there isn't one for the rye in 101 proof. Just the 81.

Maybe they're telling the truth...but I'm picking up a few bottles on the way home anyway...

Hopefully distributors are told of the difference and don't just start accidentally ordering 81 in the place of 101 as it seems PA is already doing. I REALLY hope 101 does stay around!!!!

Maybe they're telling the truth...

I remind myself that this is the same outfit that, in 1992, pulled the switcheroo:

Years 8 Old

to

Old No. 8 Brand

They fooled me once. Shame on 'em. They won't fool me twice.

but I'm picking up a few bottles on the way home anyway...

Store had six, I bought 'em all. Even if they don't discontinue the 101 at least I've avoided the inevitable price increase.

I hope you're right. The Midwest Campari rep was quoted saying 101 Rye is being dropped completely. He stated this at Distill America in Madison on Sat. night.

It's completely disappeared in some stores here, almost overnight. Hoarding?

How have the most recent bottles been? I heard there was some variability.

Maybe I'm reading the pricing wrong, but it looks like the MI minimum for the 81 is the same as the 101 was ($20.96). That's BS.

For what it's worth my regular haunts have been out of stock on the 101 for a couple of weeks. This isn't unusual around here: WT Rye always seems to suffer from supply hiccups. I'll be curious to see if the 81 shows up in its place, and what the pricing will be.

To bad_scientist: in my opinion the rye does vary but not as much as the 101 bourbon does. Not that the bourbon is bad, but some bottles are really good where others are just okay.

Maybe I'm reading the pricing wrong, but it looks like the MI minimum for the 81 is the same as the 101 was ($20.96). That's BS.

My understanding is the State tends to set the price, usually based on the product's or company's popularity and potential sales volume, hence Beam prices tend to be higher than many other states and less well known products tend toward the lower end of the range.

Popularity is also why we have every available flavored Beam product known to mankind and limited HH products.

Control state listing is always a problem. The states limit how many slots each company gets and sometimes a company has to drop something to get something else in.

As for whether or not they're really keeping the 101, by 'official' I mean I got the information from a Campari spokesperson. When they tell me something unequivocal and what they tell me makes sense, I tend to believe it.

In their zeal to get people to order the 81, some reps may be bad-mouthing the 101. Also (and we see this here all the time) people tend to believe things they get into their heads despite copious evidence to the contrary.

They would be nuts to drop the 101. First, that proof point is a Wild Turkey trademark. They're acknowledging that with the 81 (rather than 80), so it's clear they get it. Second, there would be no reason to drop the 101. You don't drop a product that's selling well and growing. They've got enough stock. They don't have to rob Peter to pay Paul.

I worried a little when Campari bought Turkey and their U.S. arm, which primarily handles Skyy Vodka, took over. I was afraid they wouldn't know enough about bourbon. But they're doing well, they waited a couple years before doing anything, and now they're making all the right moves. Clearly, they're making a lot more spirit in their shiny new distillery and they're making sure that, as it matures, they'll have a market for it.

I'm sure Jimmy and Eddie are keeping them on the straight and narrow too.

Even if they don't discontinue the 101 at least I've avoided the inevitable price increase.

Plus, I like the old (i.e., current) label better.

Control state listing is always a problem. The states limit how many slots each company gets and sometimes a company has to drop something to get something else in.

Am I correct to assume that some states (Pennsylvania?) will conceivably only carry the 81 and not the 101? If so, that is very disappointing, but far better than the 101 completely going away.

Am I correct to assume that some states (Pennsylvania?) will conceivably only carry the 81 and not the 101? If so, that is very disappointing, but far better than the 101 completely going away.

Anything is possible.

Already started wiping out all the 101 rye in the Lancaster area. I was able to scrounge up 3 bottles so far this evening. Over the next few days, I plan to cut a swath of bottle hoarding several counties wide.

WHile SC is not a control state, all liquor must go through one of several "approved" whole-sellers and they have limits on how much they can bring in so they may drop the 101 since they plan to offer the 81. I went ahead and bought a case. If it is still available then I still have it and it won't go bad. If not it gives me a little life extension....

The shortage, of course, will be caused in part by the introduction of 81, but the 81 will produce more bottles from the same amount of whiskey, and I'd be shocked if the price difference reflects the true value difference, so it's a smart way to make a little more money from a scarce resource. "Shortage" doesn't necessarily mean bare shelves. There has been a shortage of Maker's Mark for decades, in as much as they always have more ordered than they can supply, and have to allocate what they have, but do you ever have any trouble finding Maker's Mark?

WHile SC is not a control state, all liquor must go through one of several "approved" whole-sellers and they have limits on how much they can bring in so they may drop the 101 since they plan to offer the 81. I went ahead and bought a case. If it is still available then I still have it and it won't go bad. If not it gives me a little life extension....

Whaaa?

Yes, while the sale of liquor must go through licensed spirits' wholesalers (if that's what you mean by 'approved'), as far as I know, they don't have limits as to how much they can bring in.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.