WT Rye 81 proof?!

Josh
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

For $18.99 you got the best value in quality rye whiskey today, IMO. If it does re-appear you still made a great buy. Congrats!!!

investment in my future. or as my wife puts it, blowing all our money on booze. potato, po-ta-to. :slappin:

i was so focused on bourbons that i neglected ryes for a while and i'm paying for it. LITERALLY. missed out on getting the vintage rye 21 and 23 when i saw them on the shelves :hot:

I'm not really affected by what appears to be the oncoming demise of WTR, as I really don't drink it. Honestly, I don't drink much current WT product at all. But, I feel for you who like this whiskey, and more importantly, I feel for US. I don't know if it's Campari or Wild Turkey, but they're not doing much to instill faith in US, the "enthusiasts", out here. Besides the one-off Tribute, American Spirit, and Traditions (3 releases in 8 years, BTW), what have they done for US lately? I can't think of a Thing. They don't even seem to be trying, which make me think the worst----they don't even care....about US. The good stuff is being exported, what's left is being reduced in age and proof, the advertising is juvenile, and US don't seem to be part of the program. Really, too bad. While BT, HH, 4R, and even Beam are out trying to bring whiskies to enthusiasts, pushing the envelope, growing the product while still keeping an eye on, and an ear to, US, Turkey does indeed seem, as Brisko so cleverly proclaimed, to be giving US the bird.

Fine. Right back atcha!!

I'm not really affected by what appears to be the oncoming demise of WTR, as I really don't drink it. Honestly, I don't drink much current WT product at all. But, I feel for you who like this whiskey, and more importantly, I feel for US. I don't know if it's Campari or Wild Turkey, but they're not doing much to instill faith in US, the "enthusiasts", out here. Besides the one-off Tribute, American Spirit, and Traditions (3 releases in 8 years, BTW), what have they done for US lately? I can't think of a Thing. They don't even seem to be trying, which make me think the worst----they don't even care....about US. The good stuff is being exported, what's left is being reduced in age and proof, the advertising is juvenile, and US don't seem to be part of the program. Really, too bad. While BT, HH, 4R, and even Beam are out trying to bring whiskies to enthusiasts, pushing the envelope, growing the product while still keeping an eye on, and an ear to, US, Turkey does indeed seem, as Brisko so cleverly proclaimed, to be giving US the bird.

Fine. Right back atcha!!

Here here. Glad you said it.

Well put as usual Joe. This whole thing could have handled much much better, and it seems like WT is turning its back on the enthusiast community.

Well put as usual Joe. This whole thing could have handled much much better, and it seems like WT is turning its back on the enthusiast community.

Very true. As others have pointed out, if low stocks are the issue then allocation would be the better approach as it has worked well for other distilleries. The way WT has handled this, it appears as a money grab. One would think that with all of their resources, Campari/WT would have a better PR plan in place. But then, maybe they're really not that concerned about US. :rolleyes:

Fine. Right back atcha!!

THIS. they seem to be focusing purely on volume and profit (i.e., cater to the masses). the others seem to realize (or think) that by getting US excited and getting the press, that their bottom line will improve.

i still like WT. it ain't as good as it used to be. ticking me off that i have to go overseas and worry about packing, quantity and customs to get wt 12yo or wt 8yo.

THIS. they seem to be focusing purely on volume and profit (i.e., cater to the masses). the others seem to realize (or think) that by getting US excited and getting the press, that their bottom line will improve.

i still like WT. it ain't as good as it used to be. ticking me off that i have to go overseas and worry about packing, quantity and customs to get wt 12yo or wt 8yo.

Can't help but notice that the #1 selling "bourbon" ('cuz the Lincoln County Process doesn't undo anything in the regs) in the world has dropped in proof over the years, never had an age statement, and only sells enthusiast bottles overseas and in duty-free. Wouldn't be surprising if Campari noticed it, too -- isn't the US parent named after neutral spirits in a blue bottle wearing fetish gear? (Different kind of enthusiast...)

I think some of US undervalue the availability of WTKS and WTRB -- whether it was better in the past or not -- and the fact that neither Russell has been rung up on harassment charges.

Yes, by 'production' Eddie means dumping and bottling. As for distilling, They're making more rye every year than they did the previous year, as is everyone else. Are they making enough? Only time will tell.

The 101 rye won't entirely disappear in stores, some markets won't notice a shortage at all. This just means that that distillery has put out all that it can for this year. That's the distillery. They don't know how much the distributors and retailers still have. Maybe a lot.

If people get all worked up and buy even more WT rye 101 than they normally would, no one at the distillery or at Campari will be unhappy.

I know this will fall on many deaf ears, but there is nothing weird or sinister here. It's the nature of the aging cycle. The long talked-about rye renaissance is finally showing up in sales.

The 101 Rye is everywhere over here. I'll buy a couple of bottles just in case.

The 101 Rye is everywhere over here. I'll buy a couple of bottles just in case.

It WAS everywhere here in Montgomery County MD too, until this thread. :hot:

Just a few stores have a quickly dwindling supply.

I am going to grab myself one last bottle today!

The nice part about the WT 101 Rye is that for $20 a bottle a few stocked in the bunker provide cheap insurance should it not reappear......

The nice part about the WT 101 Rye is that for $20 a bottle a few stocked in the bunker provide cheap insurance should it not reappear......

Exactly. I've bought six bottles at $17.25 since this thread took off. Even if it never leaves the shelves here,at that price, no harm, no foul.

Yes, by 'production' Eddie means dumping and bottling. As for distilling, They're making more rye every year than they did the previous year, as is everyone else. Are they making enough? Only time will tell.

The 101 rye won't entirely disappear in stores, some markets won't notice a shortage at all. This just means that that distillery has put out all that it can for this year. That's the distillery. They don't know how much the distributors and retailers still have. Maybe a lot.

If people get all worked up and buy even more WT rye 101 than they normally would, no one at the distillery or at Campari will be unhappy.

I know this will fall on many deaf ears, but there is nothing weird or sinister here. It's the nature of the aging cycle. The long talked-about rye renaissance is finally showing up in sales.

Considering your credentials, gonna go with your info and not panic. Sometimes I think it is forgotten that in order to keep supplying us with great whiskey, these companies have to make a profit first of all.

Regardless of if/when it comes back - it's hard to find now and getting harder.

WT Rye is my "go to" - has been for a few years now, and I'm very disturbed by them dropping a product that "has grown 20% in the last year."

Sometimes you gotta do the wrong thing for the right reason - I get it, it's business first, but none of the other majors have "damaged" their products the way WT does to meet "perceived" consumer need/interest.

What would the enthusiast community say if 4R or Pappy 15 "dropped proof to meet production"? It's an absolute crime, IMHO, to screw over a perfectly good, and growing, product (and its consumers) in favor of trying to please a different segment (and make no mistake - the target for an 81 proof rye is very different than a 101 proof rye). Even baby Saz is 90. I can certainly see offering both (like OWA and WSR), but eschewing one over the other? Pitiful. Plus, not like they are balancing against an age statement (like the Wellers).

It may be good business, but it's crappy management and bad judgement for brand integrity - and WT, despite being a long time fave of mine - has shown repeatedly to not have a clue about how to build loyalty with enthusiasts. Hell, even Jim Beam cares more about brand image than WT appears to...

<rant complete>

Considering your credentials, gonna go with your info and not panic. Sometimes I think it is forgotten that in order to keep supplying us with great whiskey, these companies have to make a profit first of all.

Does anyone here like the RR 90 proof Rye? I tried it once because I like WT 101 Rye. My impression of the RR Rye was; nothing wrong with it, but sort of bland, definitely overpriced, not as good as WT 101 Rye. So, a slightly younger RR rye minus nine proof, and this is supposed to be good? I think I'll pass. Just to juxtepose; imagine our reactions if not 81, but a rye version of Rare Breed were anounced.

Does anyone here like the RR 90 proof Rye? I tried it once because I like WT 101 Rye. My impression of the RR Rye was; nothing wrong with it, but sort of bland, definitely overpriced, not as good as WT 101 Rye. So, a slightly younger RR rye minus nine proof, and this is supposed to be good? I think I'll pass. Just to juxtepose; imagine our reactions if not 81, but a rye version of Rare Breed were anounced.

imagine our reactions if not 81, but a rye version of Rare Breed were anounced.

OOOoooooooo!:bigeyes: now THAT is an idea! with rye becoming popular again, once production is sufficient, they'll roll it out. i hope so. however, since it's a rye version of RB, i hope/assume that the constituent ryes would be older than their bourbon counterparts. which means we have to wait a LONG time i guess.:shithappens:

A bartender I talked to tonight was pretty distraught over the future lack of 101. Of course, a certain segment of the cocktail/hipster crowd is really into the high proofed ryes. Without Ritt and WT101 being around, these folks are pretty much fucked, from what I can tell.

I emailed Wild Turkey a week or so a go and asked them point blank if WT rye was an additional product or a replacement to WT rye 101 this is what I got back today:

Dear Paul,

We are very happy to say that we are using our new WT 81 for our Rye and we

will no longer be producing the WT 101 Rye.

Cheers,

Jodi

Campari America

Consumer Relations

Okay, how many conflicting responses are we up to?

From memory:

1. Chuck gave us the "official" word (from Campari?) that the 101 was not going away, in fact it is up 20%.
  2. White Dog was told by the midwest Campari rep that the 101 is gone for good.
  3. StraightBoston is told by Eddie Russell that the 101 is gone but the 81 will be better whiskey.
  4. Eddie "clarifies" to Chuck that no, the 101 is only gone temporarily.
  5. Jodi from Campari informs Josh that there is a 101 bourbon but the rye is 81.
  6. Jodi from Campari tells Paul that they will no longer be producing the 101 rye.

Okay, so if we exclude Jodi's response to Josh which didn't have any real info in it, by my count that's 3 out of 5 pretty definitive "no's." And I'm not sure what to make of Eddie's "not till next year" line to Chuck because if that were the case they could have just said that at StraightBoston's event and cleared the air.

I think the real problem is that no one hardly ever bought RR Rye ($30 for 90 proof) when they could get WT Rye ($20 for 101 proof). The manager at green's (local large store) said he can't remember when anyone bought a bottle of the RR Rye. The average person (especially in a college town) wants the most bang for the buck. And WT has a fairly new owner who may be changing their marketing strategy with emphasis on 81 proof for their standard product. 90 proof (maybe 91 later) for mid-range (ie. RR) and 101+ for top shelf. JMHO

I emailed Wild Turkey a week or so a go and asked them point blank if WT rye was an additional product or a replacement to WT rye 101 this is what I got back today:

Dear Paul,

We are very happy to say that we are using our new WT 81 for our Rye and we

will no longer be producing the WT 101 Rye.

Cheers,

Jodi

Campari America

Consumer Relations

As long as Jodi is "very happy...":rolleyes:

Hidden
Okay, how many conflicting responses are we up to?

From memory:

1. Chuck gave us the "official" word (from Campari?) that the 101 was not going away, in fact it is up 20%.
  2. White Dog was told by the midwest Campari rep that the 101 is gone for good.
  3. StraightBoston is told by Eddie Russell that the 101 is gone but the 81 will be better whiskey.
  4. Eddie "clarifies" to Chuck that no, the 101 is only gone temporarily.
  5. Jodi from Campari informs Josh that there is a 101 bourbon but the rye is 81.
  6. Jodi from Campari tells Paul that they will no longer be producing the 101 rye.

Okay, so if we exclude Jodi's response to Josh which didn't have any real info in it, by my count that's 3 out of 5 pretty definitive "no's." And I'm not sure what to make of Eddie's "not till next year" line to Chuck because if that were the case they could have just said that at StraightBoston's event and cleared the air.

There was one more:

WT Rye is is gone for this year but will be back next year "Eddie Russell" via Chuck

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.